GNOME Mutter Lands New Work To Reduce Input Latency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Hard to predict when this hitting rock bottom event may occur, after all the community is steadily growing and that since years. But, you are auf krawall, so
    I suspect this attitude to be part of the problem.

Comment

If you use Cinnamon, then you use a very outdated Gnome Shell/Mutter with some extensions baked in.
      Yes, that is part of the reason I'm considering to switch.

And, as someone who was a Nemo fan for many years, Nautilus is better by now.
      Is it, though? From a quick test in a VM Nautilus seems to have even less features than 10 years ago or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
      There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
      I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
      But there is now a "open in terminal" feature. I'm actually surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
        Technically it is feature of gnome terminal. It provides extension for Nautilus.

Comment

Yes, that is part of the reason I'm considering to switch.

Is it, though? From a quick test in a VM Nautilus seems to have even less features than 10 years ago or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
          There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
          Nautilus has all those features.

Not sure what distro you are testing on but on Arch:

Bookmarks are added by dragging a folder to the left pane, not sure what you mean by queued copying but I can start multiple file copying/move operations at the same time and they appear in a "queue" in the top bar. Creating new documents can be enabled by dropping some templates in the gnome template folder. And it is fast on my machine with spinning drives.

Comment

no simple "create file" option,
            Just place a simple file of some kind in your templates folder and you'll be able to create this file everywhere in vir rightclick>create. It's a genius way to handle this, but you need to know or a distro that places files for you there by default

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post

[...] not sure what you mean by queued copying but I can start multiple file copying/move operations at the same time and they appear in a "queue" in the top bar..
              This is not a queue, but parallel operations.

And it is fast on my machine with spinning drives.
              Nautilus is sluggish, and the storage device speed is irrelevant. It's clearly noticeable when entering/leaving even empty folders on tmpfs.

----

Awesome work, Ivan!

Comment

Good work, if that keeps up I might return to GNOME one day from Cinnamon.
                At least if Nemo can be made to work under GNOME, I wouldn't want to go back to their file manager.
                Nemo works fine for me on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. I use it daily, I've not found anything that doesn't work as far as Nemo. Just an FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by gedgon View Post

This is not a queue, but parallel operations.

Nautilus is sluggish, and the storage device speed is irrelevant. It's clearly noticeable when entering/leaving even empty folders on tmpfs.

----

Awesome work, Ivan!
                  Like I say. Not really sure what you mean by a queue. If you copy a lot of files it copies them in a queue one by one. Maybe Nemo does things differently and that is what you are used to.

Nautilus is fast on my setup anyway, I am happy with it and have been for years.

Comment

One especially annoying feature in Nautilus is the rendering of picture previews. If you have a directory with hundreds of pics, the scrollbar will readjust its position and range with every rendered picture. The end result is a horrible mess that is constantly moving, making it hard to navigate and operate any file related tasks. It's also slow as fuck. I mean, on a RX 5600 XT & Ryzen 5950X system with 128 GB of RAM, it literally takes like one minute to render few hundred images located on a PCIe 4.0 SSD drive. Switch back and forth between folders and wait again. I can tell no other photo application is as unusable.

Comment

Like I say. Not really sure what you mean by a queue. If you copy a lot of files it copies them in a queue one by one.
                      Oh, boy. Reproduce your own steps from post #14. Start one big operation, shortly the next one, and another one. Open the progress popover and just to be sure sudo iotop -o, and tell me again that these are executed in a queue.

Nautilus is fast on my setup anyway, I am happy with it and have been for years.
                      I'm happy that you are happy, but it doesn't mean that Nautilus is fast. It means that you can't see the lag, so without the numbers our further discussion on this topic is pointless.

Comment

Working...
                      X