Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter Lands New Work To Reduce Input Latency

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter Lands New Work To Reduce Input Latency

Long running work by Ivan Molodetskikh to reduce the input latency for GNOME's Mutter compositor was merged today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I built a latency tester similar to the one described in this post: https://thume.ca/2020/05/20/making-a-latency-tester/. I measured latency of two terminals running cat and my nvim setup, three editors and one Wayland-native SDL2 game painting on frame callbacks and constantly. The latency tester repeatedly types and erases the a letter, and measures the time between sending the a key and the monitor brightness starting to change.
    Wow, latency tester is amazing! It would be also very interesting to measure latency on Xorg(KDE, GNOME, etc), Windows 10

Comment

Good work, if that keeps up I might return to GNOME one day from Cinnamon.
      At least if Nemo can be made to work under GNOME, I wouldn't want to go back to their file manager.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
        Good work, if that keeps up I might return to GNOME one day from Cinnamon.
        At least if Nemo can be made to work under GNOME, I wouldn't want to go back to their file manager.
        If you use Cinnamon, then you use a very outdated Gnome Shell/Mutter with some extensions baked in. It always surprised me how quickly the opinion shifts completely if you change the

And, as someone who was a Nemo fan for many years, Nautilus is better by now.
        Last edited by Alexmitter; 13 July 2021, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

If you use Cinnamon, then you use a very outdated Gnome Shell/Mutter with some extensions baked in.

And, as someone who was a Nemo fan for many years, Nautilus is better by now.
          Nautilus and the GNOME file picker is terrible if you ask me. Yeah, it look nice, but in terms of usability it annoys me all the time. To me it worked better when I could just enter or modify path. I know I can press / to start typing a path, but then it's not very intuitive to navigate and I usually do something else than I intended. When on GNOME, I simply use terminal instead, because it's easier.

Comment

So many potential Gnome users hate the file picker and Nautilus, but they probably haven't reached rock bottom regarding user loss yet. Though I don't dare to say if they actually will act once they do reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

Nautilus and the GNOME file picker is terrible if you ask me. Yeah, it look nice, but in terms of usability it annoys me all the time. To me it worked better when I could just enter or modify path. I know I can press / to start typing a path, but then it's not very intuitive to navigate and I usually do something else than I intended. When on GNOME, I simply use terminal instead, because it's easier.
              Ctrl + L

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                So many potential Gnome users hate the file picker and Nautilus, but they probably haven't reached rock bottom regarding user loss yet. Though I don't dare to say if they actually will act once they do reach it.
                Hard to predict when this hitting rock bottom event may occur, after all the community is steadily growing and that since years. But, you are auf krawall, so

Comment

Somehow phoronix readers managed to turn a input latency discussion into a talk about ****** file picking and Nemo. What a time to be alive

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
                    Somehow phoronix readers managed to turn a input latency discussion into a talk about ****** file picking and Nemo. What a time to be alive
                    You're underestimating the two biggest talents of Phoronix forum: Discussing off-topic subjects and commenting without reading the article first

Comment

Working...
                    X