Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Mutter Lands New Work To Reduce Input Latency

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    One especially annoying feature in Nautilus is the rendering of picture previews. If you have a directory with hundreds of pics, the scrollbar will readjust its position and range with every rendered picture. The end result is a horrible mess that is constantly moving, making it hard to navigate and operate any file related tasks. It's also slow as fuck. I mean, on a RX 5600 XT & Ryzen 5950X system with 128 GB of RAM, it literally takes like one minute to render few hundred images located on a PCIe 4.0 SSD drive. Switch back and forth between folders and wait again. I can tell no other photo application is as unusable.
    This issue could be older than many Gnome users!
    https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=143817

    By the way, I ported it to the new Gitlab
    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1720

    I've been meaning to suggest at least a workaround, but we're understaffed and I've been overwhelmed by work. The easiest solution would be to lock the thumbnails height to the maximum width. That way the view wouldn't scroll while loading the thumbnails.

    I think both Dolphin and Thunar use this approach.

    Comment


    • #22
      Are you guys talking about nautilus and the file picker?


      Oh boy, I won't even start talking about it because it pisses me off.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

        This issue could be older than many Gnome users!
        https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=143817

        By the way, I ported it to the new Gitlab
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1720

        I've been meaning to suggest at least a workaround, but we're understaffed and I've been overwhelmed by work. The easiest solution would be to lock the thumbnails height to the maximum width. That way the view wouldn't scroll while loading the thumbnails.

        I think both Dolphin and Thunar use this approach.
        Strange, they told me that Gnome has no bugs !

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

          Strange, they told me that Gnome has no bugs !
          That's absurd. All software has bugs.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            So many potential Gnome users hate the file picker and Nautilus, but they probably haven't reached rock bottom regarding user loss yet. Though I don't dare to say if they actually will act once they do reach it.
            https://linux-hardware.org/?view=os_de

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by david-nk View Post
              Yes, that is part of the reason I'm considering to switch.


              Is it, though? From a quick test in a VM Nautilus seems to have even less features than 10 years ago or maybe I'm remembering wrong.
              There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least), no simple "create file" option, no color marking of folders, weird and inconsistent file time display and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
              I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
              But there is now a "open in terminal" feature. I'm actually surprised.
              If you prefer Nemo, what is wrong with using Nemo on gnome?
              BTW, you mentioned that you tested Nautilus in a VM. I'd suspect that your VM storage setup has at least something to do with the perceived "slowness".

              Comment


              • #27
                i just want to add, i like nautilus and don't understand the hate. its fast for me and works extremely well. i really like the move to and copy to dialogs in the right-click menu. its clean, light, fast, and has everything you need without the bloat. it looks nice.

                Comment


                • #28
                  It shows that GNOME raised from almost 0 to 50% in one year. This stat seems not representative.
                  Last edited by RedEyed; 14 July 2021, 01:55 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    There are no bookmarks (though I see a "star" feature at least)
                    There are 3 very obvious ways to create a bookmark. Either via the a right click and "Add to Bookmarks", or via the folder path menu on top, again "Add to Bookmarks" or by simply dragging the folder to the side panel. "Starred" is something different then bookmarks, but you can use both.

                    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    , no simple "create file" option,
                    Your distro does not come with example files in ~/Templates

                    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    weird and inconsistent file time display
                    The same file times as "ls" would report.

                    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    and Nautilus still feels like you're browsing not your own SSD, but an FTP server hosted on a 14.4kbps modem in the Australian outback (~0.5s delay when opening a folder).
                    You use a VM, with a virtual file system. Nautilus and Nemo, for those who do not know are the same thing, they both share most of their code, Nemo is just a continuation for the older Gnome 2 style UI.

                    Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    I assume Nautilus also still cannot queue copy/move operations like Nemo can.
                    No need to assume, it queue's those operations just fine.

                    After all, you do not just show that you put zero effort in even trying to use it, you also come with what you call assumptions while it is just bias.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                      There are 3 very obvious ways to create a bookmark. Either via the a right click and "Add to Bookmarks", or via the folder path menu on top, again "Add to Bookmarks" or by simply dragging the folder to the side panel. "Starred" is something different then bookmarks, but you can use both.


                      Your distro does not come with example files in ~/Templates


                      The same file times as "ls" would report.


                      You use a VM, with a virtual file system. Nautilus and Nemo, for those who do not know are the same thing, they both share most of their code, Nemo is just a continuation for the older Gnome 2 style UI.


                      No need to assume, it queue's those operations just fine.

                      After all, you do not just show that you put zero effort in even trying to use it, you also come with what you call assumptions while it is just bias.
                      Although, I like your debate style and arguments, I would like to ask you to stop contributing off topic discussions.

                      Thanks.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X