GStreamer Making Progress On Vulkan Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    The smiley was meant to show I wasn't being totally serious.

As for algorithms and math, there's not a ton of that in GStreamer, since it's mostly glue code and wrappers for other stuff. There are good books and probably tons of free courses online, if you want to learn.

Throwing yourself in water a little above your head can be good motivation for learning to swim.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I am a dumb ass high-school dropout who struggled in math, I know nothing about algorithms or math.
      Why are you talking about C then? This is what pisses me off, everyone thinks they're entitled to an opinion no matter what.

Should I give an uneducated opinion about rocket science even though I know almost nothing about it and my expertise is somewhere else? No but people think software should be written by uneducated dumbasses for some fucking reason I just won't understand.

Can you believe some people can't even understand or comprehend basic control flow? I'm not joking. Seriously those people need to do the world a favor and look at some other profession to fulfill their lives with.

Comment

Is this "rewrite everything from C into Rust" thing some kind of Meme now?

It's perfectly possible to have security problems in any language. I'm sure that when there is as much Rust code, spanning as many years as C does, there'll be plenty of security problem with Rust too.

The objective of malware these days is to mine bitcoin, steal/delete/encrypt files and send spam emails, you don't need buffer overruns to do that - just to download a script and run it somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Why are you talking about C then? This is what pisses me off, everyone thinks they're entitled to an opinion no matter what.

Should I give an uneducated opinion about rocket science even though I know almost nothing about it and my expertise is somewhere else? No but people think software should be written by uneducated dumbasses for some fucking reason I just won't understand.

Can you believe some people can't even understand or comprehend basic control flow? I'm not joking. Seriously those people need to do the world a favor and look at some other profession to fulfill their lives with.
          Because a good tool makes it harder for you to shoot yourself in the foot, and the same is with programming languages.
          I've tried both C and Rust, and I am bad at both, but C lets any mistakes slide which subtly introduce bugs and vulnerabilities, while Rust is much strict on me.

Even experienced programmers do mistakes in C, we've seen it with OpenSSL. Microsoft and Google realized it, that C has no safe guards, no security fence, its way too easy to fall off the cliff with it.

Comment

To this day accelerated encoding (eg. for recording/straming with OBS) on AMD graphics is a mess. Am I getting it correct that this is an opportunity to get make the situation better?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
              Is this "rewrite everything from C into Rust" thing some kind of Meme now?

It's perfectly possible to have security problems in any language. I'm sure that when there is as much Rust code, spanning as many years as C does, there'll be plenty of security problem with Rust too.

The objective of malware these days is to mine bitcoin, steal/delete/encrypt files and send spam emails, you don't need buffer overruns to do that - just to download a script and run it somehow.
              Aside from the memes. there is a massive push to do so. mainly for the younger generation. Rust is adequate enough to replace C in many cases. but also sits in a position to be adequate alternative of C++. so now we have an increasingly large portion of younger programmers migrating away from C and C++ to rust. now we can debate the pros and cons of C over rust. there is a sizable list both ways. but that's not the point. it's already hard enough to convince the newer generations to work on stuff like the kernel. Rust support, and migrating to rust. obviously isn't feasible. but at the same time, its becoming a bigger and bigger issue.

That and rust is just kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                Aside from the memes. there is a massive push to do so. mainly for the younger generation. Rust is adequate enough to replace C in many cases. but also sits in a position to be adequate alternative of C++. so now we have an increasingly large portion of younger programmers migrating away from C and C++ to rust. now we can debate the pros and cons of C over rust. there is a sizable list both ways. but that's not the point. it's already hard enough to convince the newer generations to work on stuff like the kernel. Rust support, and migrating to rust. obviously isn't feasible. but at the same time, its becoming a bigger and bigger issue.

That and rust is just kinda cool.
                That's the biggest load of crap I have heard in a long time. I'd love to have what you're on.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

That's the biggest load of crap I have heard in a long time. I'd love to have what you're on.
                  I only speak from my own observations and experiences, may I know what part you seem to have issue with? from most of my talking with young programmers now, this is usually how it goes. of course that is still anecdotal, but without widespread survey's it would be hard to get and accurate analysis. however from my experiences and observations, as I said. the younger generation and this is a quote from one such that i have talked with "Why would I learn C when I can just use rust instead".

of course not everyone has the same mindset. but from who i have had the pleasure of talking with. it seems more and more people do.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    younger generation and this is a quote from one such that i have talked with "Why would I learn C when I can just use rust instead".
                    Hmm... I'm not sure. When I talk to people they tend want to work on things "games/hardware/web/video/audio" and what they end up learning flows from that. I've never met someone who chooses what to work on based on a programming language.

Anyway, people with an attitude like "Why would I learn xxx?" tend to not be particularly good at anything. There's a bunch of stuff that I'm not particularly interested in, but it only takes a couple of days to learn the basics.

...except C++, which I swear is a different programming language each time I dip in, and is the only one where I can write clean working code that is still "completely the wrong way to do that"...

Comment

Anyway, people with an attitude like "Why would I learn xxx?" tend to not be particularly good at anything. There's a bunch of stuff that I'm not particularly interested in, but it only takes a couple of days to learn the basics.
                      This is a dangerous attitude. If you want to learn a tool that you intend to do a lot of work in, then you should put in the effort to learn its various pitfalls, limitations, idioms, and good style. At minimum, my advice is to read the best book on it that you can find. And take notes!

...except C++, which I swear is a different programming language each time I dip in, and is the only one where I can write clean working code that is still "completely the wrong way to do that"...
                      This is a good example of what I mean.

Of course, I understand that recent revisions have been continually adding new features that lend themselves to new styles. This makes it more work to stay current, but with C++ you really have to put in the work to be truly proficient. This is not a good thing, BTW.

If I were starting a new project for which I'd previously used C++, I'd feel the need to have a good justification to use it over Rust. I think C actually has more staying power, because it scales down almost as well as anything out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X