PipeWire 0.3.31 Released With Better JACK Support, More Crash Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Then you're lucky, here it worked with PulseAudio but since the switch to PipeWire sound in Teams doesn't work for me
    I'll dogpile as well, PipeWire works for me on Teams. Maybe its your version of PipeWire? I'm running latest rolling Arch, happens to be what's mentioned in this article.

Comment

Originally posted by damentz View Post
      I'll dogpile as well, PipeWire works for me on Teams. Maybe its your version of PipeWire? I'm running latest rolling Arch, happens to be what's mentioned in this article.
      If you read over the pipewire bug report for teams its quite a few layers of complexity. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...e/-/issues/838 One is if pipewire says here teams here is a 24 bit sound output and teams go bugger you I only support 16 bit audio out that one can be got around using apulse on top of pipewire but that requires pipewire with-alsa support enabled.

The reality here is MS Teams on Linux with Pulseaudio at times is a pain i the but to get working. Lot of cases it MS teams limit audio support of course pipewire exposes some things differently so a system that works with MS Teams before putting pipewire on does not but if you alter different configurations in Pulseaudio lot of cases MS Teams would fail as well.

MS Teams is really a pain on but program on Linux caused by limit audio support and very quirky detection. Yes very quirky detection as in claiming no speakers or microphone just because its the wrong bit or speed or MS Teams is just having I be stupid this start up. Yes MS Teams is fun like that on Linux run it one everything works no updates run it again and detection can fail then run it again it working again. Yes MS Teams on Linux at times can be a game of coin flip.

There was always going to be a handful of programs that would be harder than the other to get working.

Comment

The only problem I've had is that MS Teams doesn't work with PipeWire. I know the problem is apparently on Teams' side rather than PipeWire's but it's still a big bummer.
        I gave up trying to use the "native" Teams app. Just sign in via Chromium. Way better, and no Microsoft crap running locally.

Comment

Originally posted by damentz View Post

I'm running Fedora Silverblue, atm it has pipewire 0.3.30.

Comment

Originally posted by aorth View Post

I gave up trying to use the "native" Teams app. Just sign in via Chromium. Way better, and no Microsoft crap running locally.
            You realise that the web app you run on Chromium runs locally and is, for the most part, the same JS code as the standalone client (which is based on Electron)?

Comment

MS Teams on Flatpak works qithout issues. Maybe it is just the native client?

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
                Unplug headphones and plug it back in and it isn't found. Its great. I see no problem here.

Maybe this one will fix that. Could pull it down now and find out but will wait for now.
                This does not sound like a pipewire issue - It is almost certainly on the driver/alsa side.

Comment

You realise that the web app you run on Chromium runs locally and is, for the most part, the same JS code as the standalone client (which is based on Electron)?
                  Yes, but the same principle applies as with me and Discord. They don't get to provide the code on the privileged side of the JS platform APIs... such as the code which decides what they can see outside the sandbox.

Letting them do that is the whole point of Electron.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Yes, but the same principle applies as with me and Discord. They don't get to provide the code on the privileged side of the JS platform APIs... such as the code which decides what they can see outside the sandbox.

Letting them do that is the whole point of Electron.
                    Actually no, there is little to no difference in that regard. On the other hand, when running the Teams client in a flatpak sandbox, THEN I can control what it has access to, and especially ensure that it can't touch any of my browser data.

Comment

Some of the problem is the version of the chromium engine in MS Teams its a lot older than running it straight in chrome or chromium browser instead. Yes particular versions of chrome and chromium where very picky on the audio side as well. Yes old versions of the electron runtime is what Teams uses. Microsoft does not update teams when a new version of the electron runtime is released. I am not sure if MS Teams has ever changed the version of electron used from its first desktop release.

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                      MS Teams on Flatpak works qithout issues. Maybe it is just the native client?
                      There are people in the bug report who are using the flatpak version and do run into issues. It depends on what you sound card is what kind of issues you run into. There is hardware configurations that have less issues with MS Teams.

Credit to Brad Sams for first reporting on this, Alongside the Windows 11 announcement today, Rish Tandon, the CVP Engineering for Microsoft Teams, posted on Twitter about changes coming to Microsoft Teams architecture. It gave a lot of useful insight into what is coming. Microsoft Teams is...

Microsoft with Teams 2.0 is going to roll our own solution instead Electron this might fix up a lot of the teams issue on Linux or it might make it way worse. Lets think about it who here runs edge on Linux. Yes future desktop teams support will depend on the edge engine that Microsoft could have nicely screwed up.

Comment

Working...
                      X