KDE Pushes More Plasma Wayland Improvements, Plug-in System For The Konsole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by extremesquared View Post
    Also consider that the more general-purpose demands of a lot of gnome users are likely less strict than the workstation-oriented demands of a lot of KDE users.
    Sorry? Workstation oriented? KDE?

Of the software developers I know who run on Linux primarily, we all use Gnome or a crazy thing like i3 or Sway. We focus on doing work on our workstations.

KDE is just kind of ... fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

Of the software developers I know who run on Linux primarily, we all use Gnome or a crazy thing like i3 or Sway. We focus on doing work on our workstations.

If you're good enough in vim and tmux, then any gui becomes fluff. I can respect that. That accounts for all the devs I know on gnome. They only need a terminal, a browser, and alt-tab. On the other hand, transferring my kde gui-based workflows to gnome... I can't even imagine making any progress that doesn't immediately end up in a terminal. But I don't believe these gui-on-workstation use cases were ever on the radar of gnome3 devs -- which is fine.
      Last edited by extremesquared; 26 June 2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I wonder what else the plugin system for Konsole will be used for. I hope to see the community come up with some cool ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

KDE has some of the best set of workstation oriented applications (aka not a huge ass toolbars and lacking the most basic features). The DE itself can look and feel any way you want so unless you mean polished tiling it makes no sense. And doesn't RHEL and CO still use or ship GNOME classic?

That being said they should just stop bloating it. A plugin system? FML. It's the only usable DE. If KDE doesn't fix their main issues in a few years I'll have to go full WM ricer. Not much hope since I've seem interviews and posts from multiple KDE developers stating that if you don't let people do what they want they stop contributing. At least I'll still have their amazing Qt applications to use.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post
            That being said they should just stop bloating it. A plugin system? FML. ...
            That is sort of the whole point of an application with a plugin system. Keep fringe use cases out of the default product. Take a look in Kate's plugin options. All manner of nonsense is offered in there that really doesn't need to be active by default.

Comment

That is sort of the whole point of an application with a plugin system. Keep fringe use cases out of the default product. Take a look in Kate's plugin options. All manner of nonsense is offered in there that really doesn't need to be active by default.
              Like that's free of maintenance and doesn't leak everywhere. Increases the test matrix, more issue triaging, complaints and bad perception of your product (many times a week there's some "kde is the worst DE" threads on reddit because of some addon or stupid theme engines). Increases the mental tax of new contributors and even old ones, to know where to put things and to make sure they don't break plugins. But if that's the last big feature they are going to add then maybe you're right. Could their own developers only add new features through this plugin system and just polish the main application? Honest question.

If you look at other projects that have less contributors or use inferior technology they often have an attitude of "don't theme my application, chud!" or "no plugin stability guarantees, y'all!". It must be very expensive to maintain it. That's why I'm worried.

Comment

Like that's free of maintenance and doesn't leak everywhere. Increases the test matrix, more issue triaging, complaints and bad perception of your product (many times a week there's some "kde is the worst DE" threads on reddit because of some addon or stupid theme engines). Increases the mental tax of new contributors and even old ones, to know where to put things and to make sure they don't break plugins. But if that's the last big feature they are going to add then maybe you're right. Could their own developers only add new features through this plugin system and just polish the main application? Honest question.

If you look at other projects that have less contributors or use inferior technology they often have an attitude of "don't theme my application, chud!" or "no plugin stability guarantees, y'all!". It must be very expensive to maintain it. That's why I'm worried.
                Are you familiar with the absolute chaos that is plasma widgets / store.kde.org? It is overwhelmingly unmaintained, under-tested garbage. Do any of us use these? And yet this seems to be a valid model, because they just sit out there, walled off enough that they cause no problems for the average user. The model of opt-in extensibility seems to work. And if konsole plugins worry you, then please never investigate what you can do to plasma itself through third-party plugins.

KDE Store
                • Application Styles6
                • Cursors995
                • deKorator Themes173
                • Emoticons130
                • Full Icon Themes1602
                • Global Themes312
                • KDE App-Addons2546
                • KDE Game-Addons109
                • KDE Plasma Extensions2054
                • KDE Plasma Screenshots3160
                • Kvantum197
                • KWin101
                • Latte Dock54
                • Mycroft Skills73
                • Plasma Color Schemes1789
                • Plasma Mobile Wallpapers14
                • Plasma Splashscreens1640
                • Plasma Themes742
                • Plasma Window Decorations527
                • Plymouth Themes487
                • QSvgStyles3
                • QtCurve552
                • SDDM Login Themes481
                • SMPlayer/MPlayer32
                • Telegram Themes16
                • Various Plasma Theming20
                • Various Qt Stuff293
                • Wallpapers KDE Plasma6163

KDE App-Addons
                • Application Styles6
                • Cursors995
                • deKorator Themes173
                • Emoticons130
                • Full Icon Themes1602
                • Global Themes312
                • KDE App-Addons2546
                • KDE Game-Addons109
                • KDE Plasma Extensions2054
                • KDE Plasma Screenshots3160
                • Kvantum197
                • KWin101
                • Latte Dock54
                • Mycroft Skills73
                • Plasma Color Schemes1789
                • Plasma Mobile Wallpapers14
                • Plasma Splashscreens1640
                • Plasma Themes742
                • Plasma Window Decorations527
                • Plymouth Themes487
                • QSvgStyles3
                • QtCurve552
                • SDDM Login Themes481
                • SMPlayer/MPlayer32
                • Telegram Themes16
                • Various Plasma Theming20
                • Various Qt Stuff293
                • Wallpapers KDE Plasma6163
                • Alkimia Online Quotes5
                • Amarok620
                • AmarokFS11
                • Cantor2
                • Digikam5
                • Dolphin Service Menus589
                • Elisa1
                • Falkon16
                • K3b Themes26
                • Kate73
                • Kdenlive117
                • KDevelop63
                • Konqueror7
                • Konsole Color Schemes185
                • Kontact/PIM42
                • Konversation Nicklist Themes14
                • Kopete Styles97
                • Krunner Plugins45
                • Krusader63
                • KStars Data9
                • KTextEditor Snippets63
                • KTurtle Scripts26
                • Marble Maps3
                • Okteta Structure Definitions23
                • Parley156
                • Plasma Public Transport Timetables49
                • QCH Documentation Files2
                • Simon Speech61
                • Skrooge9
                • System Monitor Pages (new)9
                • System Monitor Tabs (old ksysguard)41
                • Tellico32
                • Yakuake Skins

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Hm again Wayland fixes.. when will it be usable?
                  Up to now i saw no usecase too because X.org does everything better or lets say: its stable and feature complete.
                  It is clear, X.org need to be replaced in case of KDE by Wayland, the question is when?

My Distribution shows in SDDM login Manager for some time the wayland session and i tested it two days. I must
                  say: Nearly no difference to X.org. Everything is more smooth but one crash happened. I was not testing old Software
                  or stuff like Java applications or Wine.

What i expect for Wayland is a common window manager frame work to get the same workflow for all DEs.
                  So we dont need to care about CSD/SSD. The fragmentation of window management conecepts doesnt help
                  Linux i guess.

Comment

Are you familiar with the absolute chaos that is plasma widgets / store.kde.org? It is overwhelmingly unmaintained, under-tested garbage. Do any of us use these? And yet this seems to be a valid model, because they just sit out there, walled off enough that they cause no problems for the average user. The model of opt-in extensibility seems to work. And if konsole plugins worry you, then please never investigate what you can do to plasma itself through third-party plugins.
                    I remember when people used to read your post before replying.

Comment

I remember when people used to read your post before replying.
                      All of your concerns apply to the user extensibility model in general, not just konsole. Those are examples of it not necessarily being a perfect model, but not being the end of the world either. And I doubt any projects factor these user addons into their test matrix.

Comment

Working...
                      X