X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• useless
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Preservation of data isn't really my area but I imagine some plain text format, possibly XML is the better option here.
    Excuse my ignorance but isn't ODF based (an extension of) XML?

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Regardless of software, I always find that the winning standard should be the easiest to implement from scratch. From a preservation point of view, no existing software available today will be around in 30 years. MS Office would have dissolved in the clouds and Libre/Open Office will have changed so much it probably won't have a single line of code that is the same.

Preservation of data isn't really my area but I imagine some plain text format, possibly XML is the better option here. Don't both Microsoft and Libre have their own standards of this but as a secondary option? If the standards body had any sway, they would enforce this as a requirement compared to the binary offerings.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

...as a secondary format. Most office suites I have seen (Microsoft Office, Google Docs, WPS, ThinkFree, OnlyOffice, etc.) use a proprietary format as primary, with ODF as an afterthought.
    Only LibreOffice and the dead OpenOffice use ODF as primary, so standardization of the office document format remains a long road... as long as Microsoft reigns at least.
    Whether it is the default file format or not is irrelevant, what matters is the number of applications that support it natively, without having to go through a lot of file import gyrations. By that metric, ODF is far and away the most supported office file format with the largest group of applications supporting it natively.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    tildearrow Seems like you forgot Calligra.
    That's a nifty little piece of trolling there 144. Have an upvote.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied

...as a secondary format. Most office suites I have seen (Microsoft Office, Google Docs, WPS, ThinkFree, OnlyOffice, etc.) use a proprietary format as primary, with ODF as an afterthought.
    Only LibreOffice and the dead OpenOffice use ODF as primary, so standardization of the office document format remains a long road... as long as Microsoft reigns at least.
    Non default format is fine as long as compatibility is a good state. Microsoft Office is a much less stronger player in the market in general than it used to be, in part because of LibreOffice but also because of heavy adoption of things like Google Docs.

Leave a comment:

• stop5
    replied

Some organizations have requirements for formats that are used by them. I think some italian and french organizations have libreoffice adapted.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ODF is most notably used by LibreOffice but many other office suites and other applications also support making use of this open standard for office documents...
    Only LibreOffice, Calligra and the dead OpenOffice use ODF as primary, so standardization of the office document format remains a long road... as long as Microsoft reigns at least.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 24 June 2021, 03:04 PM. Reason: thanks 144Hz

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic OpenDocument Format 1.3 Approved As OASIS Standard

OpenDocument Format 1.3 Approved As OASIS Standard

Phoronix: OpenDocument Format 1.3 Approved As OASIS Standard

The OASIS standards organization has now officially approved of the ODF 1.3 revision of the OpenDocument Format as their newest ratified standard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X