Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenDocument Format 1.3 Approved As OASIS Standard

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

    The governments of developing countries still use Microsoft Office, and heavily rely on Microsoft technology.
    Not just them. In fact, I don't know of that many countries that don't rely on MS Office

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

      The governments of developing countries still use Microsoft Office, and heavily rely on Microsoft technology.
      Do you have a source for that?

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Artim View Post

        I never said I disliked ODF, in fact I would very much prefer it to be the universal standard. But fact is, support for it is horrible. It seems you never actually used MS Office or Softmaker Office with anything more complex than a few lines of text, else you would have noticed that both and many others completely destroy all formatting. Besides not being able to handle many things at all.
        Never had any trouble with it at all. It must be you who are doing something terribly wrong, friend.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by andyprough View Post

          Never had any trouble with it at all. It must be you who are doing something terribly wrong, friend.
          Highly unlikely. About every test you can find online says exactly the same. And I don't see how I should have done anything wrong when saving documents as ODF 1.2, without extensions and the single suite not failing horribly is Google Docs.

          Like I said, you might not have had any issues when your documents aren't more complex than a bit of text and a few pictures. Especially talking about MS Office. But something like svgs, images pasted as GDI from Draw or even any kind of shapes you put in are treated horribly. Svgs are shown as a low resolution mess, GDI images aren't showing up at all and shapes just land anywhere in the document. Not to mention that it falls on formating at least as hard as LO fails with Word documents.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

            Perfect. So I am fairly certain that future standards committees will choose Microsoft's OOXML as the preservation standard going forward then
            Useful information will probably survive in a format diverse from a text processor format. Maybe plaint text, pdf, or html.

            Nowadays, the reality is that LibreOffice only serves as M$ argument in possible anti-concurrency and market abuse litigations.

            Comment


            • #26
              Last year I started university. As expected they required all documents in MS-Office format. DidnĀ“t use any office software for many years, so pleasantly surprised to see that at least office365 seemed to open odf documents no problems (Only had problems really with spreadsheets: Tons of problems there). In the end, I used a VM with Win95 and Offcie97 for excel, because if I am going to use Windows, I want at least space cadet pinball on it. Rest of documents either Office97 or Libreoffice reopened them on Office365 on a second win10 VM, and saved them as their .docx, pptx, or xlsx. With writer i found problems with tables of contents and indexes, any other formatting was fine.

              I also tried WPS office, which worked much better, but I am not a big fan of the UI, and it is closed source.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Artim View Post

                Highly unlikely. About every test you can find online says exactly the same. And I don't see how I should have done anything wrong when saving documents as ODF 1.2, without extensions and the single suite not failing horribly is Google Docs.

                Like I said, you might not have had any issues when your documents aren't more complex than a bit of text and a few pictures. Especially talking about MS Office. But something like svgs, images pasted as GDI from Draw or even any kind of shapes you put in are treated horribly. Svgs are shown as a low resolution mess, GDI images aren't showing up at all and shapes just land anywhere in the document. Not to mention that it falls on formating at least as hard as LO fails with Word documents.
                You seem confused. ODF is a specification - you appear to be talking about errors in the implementation of that spec by some version of some software suite. Since the software you've been consistently talking about is Google Docs, which is a complete disaster aside from its implementation of ODT, I can only assume that you are trying to force bad software into doing tricks that it isn't capable of doing. Stop doing that.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by andyprough View Post

                  You seem confused. ODF is a specification - you appear to be talking about errors in the implementation of that spec by some version of some software suite. Since the software you've been consistently talking about is Google Docs, which is a complete disaster aside from its implementation of ODT, I can only assume that you are trying to force bad software into doing tricks that it isn't capable of doing. Stop doing that.
                  Uh... No. I expect them to be able to handle everything they are supposed to be able to handle and what they can handle when it's a ooxml file. Or do you really wanna tell me office suites are not supposed to be able to handle a freaking svg file properly?
                  And no, I'm not talking of some version of the specification in some version of a suite. I'm talking about standard, not extended ODF v1.2, which was standardized by the ISO in 2015 afaik. And I'm talking about just any office suite claiming to be able to handle odt files, obviously all in their latest version.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X