KDE Gets Expandable Tooltips, Larger Clipboard, More Wayland Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel, since I had a similar loss two months ago.
    I have a 16 year old dog and her time is coming up. It's very depressing at my house right now.

Sorry about your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      I can bet £5 that you are against ending the sentences with preposition as well
      No. I let that one slide. IMHO, it's easier and more legible to end a sentence or statement with a direction or place. Come in, get out, go over, look above, place below.

ever heard about uncountables?
      Yes. They normally use the singular form like I used above.

Oh, there is something we can all agree on!
      Which is why I stick to correcting those who incorrectly correct others.

If you wanna be an ass like that and totally whiff it, game on

Comment

> KDE can refer to both the developers and the software
        KDE is a group of people. As anyone can see (since more than ten years ago...): http://kde.org/community/whatiskde/

> "and" isn't an acceptable word to start a sentence with
        It followed what "tildearrow" wrote.

> your sentence should be "KDE is people."
        English is the fourth language that I learnt. American people think that... Well, let's stop there. As other people wrote:
        In British English, “company” (like “firm,” “committee,” “government,” “cabinet,” and many other words) is regarded as a collective noun that's singular in form but can be treated as plural. So you'll find both singular and plural references to companies in British English—often in the same news story.

> I also have to point out that KDE stands for "K Desktop Environment" so [...]
        Again, as anyone can see (since more than ten years ago...): http://kde.org/community/whatiskde/

> They're not particularly fond of reading crap from actual Grammar Nazis like myself either.
        No comments.
        Last edited by Nth_man; 20 June 2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by callegar View Post
          there is no way to use single applications (vs the whole desktop) remotely, which is something that X11 has always done excellently on the LAN and that with xpra can also
          This is not in fact true. waypipe provides this exact functionality to send a send wayland application remote. It does have the mean todo the xpra feature where if connection drops you can join up without application at the other end dieing. There is a issue with waypipe not being in all distribution yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            > KDE can refer to both the developers and the software
            KDE is a group of people. As anyone can see (since more than ten years ago...): http://kde.org/community/whatiskde/

> "and" isn't an acceptable word to start a sentence with
            It followed what "tildearrow" wrote.

> your sentence should be "KDE is people."
            English is the fourth language that I learnt. American people think that... Well, let's stop there. As other people wrote:
            In British English, “company” (like “firm,” “committee,” “government,” “cabinet,” and many other words) is regarded as a collective noun that's singular in form but can be treated as plural. So you'll find both singular and plural references to companies in British English—often in the same news story.

> I also have to point out that KDE stands for "K Desktop Environment" so [...]
            Again, as anyone can see (since more than ten years ago...): http://kde.org/community/whatiskde/

> They're not particularly fond of reading crap from actual Grammar Nazis like myself either.
            No comments.
            Are you kidding me? Did you not read the first sentence of the link you posted? I'll post it just in case you didn't.

KDE is an international team co-operating on development and distribution of Free, Open Source Software for desktop and portable computing.
            It's both the collective name for the developers and the software. Notice that they used "KDE is" and not "KDE are" like you seem to think is correct. The only time "are" is used on that page is in the term "KDE Workspaces are" because "Workspaces" is a plural word. That's now nouns work. The only time "are" is used in regards to “firm”, “committee”, “government”, “cabinet", and many other words is when it is tied to a plural noun like "workers", "associates", or "owners" are attached. It's the difference between "The firm is committed to the new regulations" and "The owners of the firm are committed to the new regulations" or "government is" and "government members are".

I don't care what tildearrow wrote. He wasn't incorrectly correcting Michael's headline. You were.

I will concede that K Desktop Environment is depreciated even though I assume that most people still read it as K Desktop Environment. Everywhere else in the desktop world the acronym of "DE" stands for "Desktop Environment" so one can assume it will be read that way here too regardless of what KDE actually says on the matter. If they don't like that then they should change the name of the entire project because KDE will never lose the assumed Desktop Environment nomenclature baggage without a different name.
            Last edited by skeevy420; 21 June 2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

The information is still there: https://kde.org/community/whatiskde/

"KDE is an international team co-operating on development and distribution of Free, Open Source Software for desktop and portable computing."

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                The information is still there: https://kde.org/community/whatiskde/

"KDE is an international team co-operating on development and distribution of Free, Open Source Software for desktop and portable computing."
                KDE is still an umbrella term for the people, community, software, etc. We're both technically correct on that one. What's your point?

More importantly, why do you keep using a link that defends my arguments and views instead of finding a link that defends your arguments and views? That link literally proves the initial point of how my use of is and are is correct and that your use of is and are is incorrect in regards to the KDE name.

Are you still using it because you caught me using the old term of K Desktop Environment? You should have used Wikipedia to prove me wrong there and not with a link that invalidated every point you tried to make in this entire argument.

Comment

As it was previously stated there (and officially on https://kde.org/community/whatiskde/), since more than ten years ago, KDE is a group of people. As Jonathan Riddell said more than five years ago:
                  KDE has long since moved past being just a desktop project. We’re now a community with hundreds of end-user focused projects. From educational games like GCompris to teaching tools like WikiToLearn to technical projects like Necessitas (now upstream happily making Qt work on Android) it’s a great place to help on open source in a way that gets to the whole world and not just coders.

Comment

Originally posted by callegar View Post
                    Unfortunately wayland keeps bringing almost no game-breaking advantage and still has tons of regressions (at least in KDE-land). Yes, some effects are slightly smoother and you get rid of the anyway mostly unnoticeable flicker... but:
                    • the session is completely broken. Log out and log in again and your applications do not reopen or they do on the wrong virtual screen or the wrong position;
                    • the clipboard is broken, in some cases it works, in some it doesn't at all, in some it does if you do not close applications;
                    • drag and drop is similarly problematic;
                    • there is no way to use single applications (vs the whole desktop) remotely, which is something that X11 has always done excellently on the LAN and that with xpra can also be done perfectly on the WAN;
                    • the approaches to manage things in GTK apps and QT apps has zero standardization: not only GDK_BACKEND and QT_QPA_PLATFORM are different env variables, but the syntax of what you should put in there is different as well. And then there is XDG_SESSION_TYPE too.
                    ... and I am pretty sure that there is more. If I understand correctly, this is not even (completely) KDE's fault. Many things were left out from any standardization in wayland, so every toolkit and every DE implemented them in their own incompatible way (session, clipboard, drag and drop, controlling environment variables, remoting). Sigh.
                    Run KDE on debian bullseye. By the time debian 12 comes along, wayland will probably be ready. The difference in functionality between frozen buster KDE and debian 12 KDE is likely minimal. The difference in stability between frozen buster KDE and whatever roller coaster ride KDE will be embarking on to fold in wayland is not likely minimal.
                    Last edited by extremesquared; 26 June 2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X