X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d3coder
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    smartalgorithm KWinFT actually is already a drop-in replacement for KWin (you'd need disman and kdisplay, too) which means you can try it out yourself in its current state (the best supported way is on Arch or Arch-derivatives, but there are binary packages available - albeit not the latest - on a community repo for openSUSE). My only request at this point would be to bring it to more distributions, particularly Ubuntu/Debian is missing a PPA last time I checked. At this point I don't think it is likely that it will ever get back-merged into upstream KDE, but as long as users can opt-in into a PPA/custom repo and as there are no conflicts with the rest of Plasma, I'd say with more popularity KwinFT could become the default compositor in the long run.

Congrats to Roman for his work, even on X11 and in its current state it is a huge improvement in my eyes to vanilla KWin.
    Agree, for example transparency works correctly. On vanilla decorations sometimes are not transparent and on KwinFT it works properly.
    Last edited by d3coder; 13 June 2021, 05:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    smartalgorithm KWinFT actually is already a drop-in replacement for KWin (you'd need disman and kdisplay, too) which means you can try it out yourself in its current state (the best supported way is on Arch or Arch-derivatives, but there are binary packages available - albeit not the latest - on a community repo for openSUSE). My only request at this point would be to bring it to more distributions, particularly Ubuntu/Debian is missing a PPA last time I checked. At this point I don't think it is likely that it will ever get back-merged into upstream KDE, but as long as users can opt-in into a PPA/custom repo and as there are no conflicts with the rest of Plasma, I'd say with more popularity KwinFT could become the default compositor in the long run.

Congrats to Roman for his work, even on X11 and in its current state it is a huge improvement in my eyes to vanilla KWin.

Leave a comment:

• d3coder
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Does clipboard work better with KWinFT? It's a massive mess with KWin in Plasma 5.22 in the Wayland session - totally broken and only copies things every other time.
    I don't use wayland, but maybe this happens with GTK apps? I heard that GTK implements non-standard protocol and only one of recent releases got standard protocol implementation, but I'm not sure.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    one of the most intriguing project of the year for me, personally... i'm really looking forward for this project. wlroots is a wise choice and the next wise choice would be making kwinFT a drop in replacement for kwin, and also maybe coming up with a new nice name...
    thanks to the authors and keep up the good work!!!!

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post

Is not totally broken, it fails (sometimes) from Xwayland apps to Wayland apps, and yes is annoying.
    Maybe in the future KDE devs and KwinFT dev could merge their work again.
    For me it fails Wayland to Wayland, not XWayland even.

Leave a comment:

• Yeayo guy
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Does clipboard work better with KWinFT? It's a massive mess with KWin in Plasma 5.22 in the Wayland session - totally broken and only copies things every other time.
    Is not totally broken, it fails (sometimes) from Xwayland apps to Wayland apps, and yes is annoying.
    Maybe in the future KDE devs and KwinFT dev could merge their work again.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WizardGed
    replied
    Maybe one day we'll have a single extendable window manager/server for Wayland akin to Xorg but that shouldn't distract Wayland lovers from its greatness and the fact that each DE for Wayland has to reinvent the wheel and reimplement a ton of features just to allow for common features found in Xorg by default. Cue for a ton of errors, corner cases, etc. each Wayland compositor has to tackle and resolve. Anyways, disregard this message as I'm an idiot who just doesn't understand Wayland and the absolute beauty of it.
    I think what you'll find is we all have different needs and requirements of our desktops and for some of us we have no issues or less issues with Wayland vs x11. It sounds like most of your issues here with people are self made. With time almost any price of software matures and issues become less relevant. Patience, time and the slow, steady march of progress improve things. Being a developer yourself I'm sure you understand no one can force developers to support a stack they do not wish to and last I checked the proposal for improvements is open to anyone and typically agreed and followed by everyone that wanted to involve themselves.

Leave a comment:

• d3coder
    replied
    Wlroots branch feels better than vanilla kwin for me.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post

kwin is a joke and KDE dev focus on X11 instead of Wayland is not a wise thing to do

X11 is dead
    and graphic in Linux is suck
    there no decent hardware acceleration support in Linux like other operating systems
    and Wayland is the only hope to do something about this mess and I know Wayland is not perfect about sill better than nothing
    Kwin may not be perfect for Wayland, but for a long long time 100% of the new feature work in Kwin has been Wayland-exclusive. I'm not saying they won't fix a bug in X11 code, but modern Kwin is very much a Wayland compositor first with X11 being secondary these days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X