Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma 5.23 Picking Up Latest Breeze Evolution Style, SDDM Lands Native Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I've come to consider Michael's "this new KDE version features vastly improved Wayland support" as sarcasm or twisting the knife in the wound
    Me either. This or he never actually tried Plasma on Wayland.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

bug77 Have a look at what kscreen-doctor can do, as it seems like it can load and apply kscreen config files. Maybe you can utilize this in a little bash script that gets loaded at autostart as a workaround. Also, there is no proper per-screen DPI in multi-monitor setups yet, only per screen scaling, which behaves differently.

That bug with the desktop background is weird and it didn't happen to me, despite I also switched from xorg to wayland. Should this bug stick, then you could try deleting some files in your ~/.config folder - this is usually a remedy for issues introduced by different config file revisions… I encountered some bugs aswell:

I.e the mouse cursor became invisible in title bars and when it should show the icon for resizing windows. In the end, I figured out that custom cursor designs are broken atm and the only cursor design working is the breeze cursor (deleting some ~/.config files came to the rescue). But as long as it's just theme issues, I can bear with it.

Other than that I noticed that GTK apps don't support the global appmenu plugin on Plasma Wayland because they used to store that information as an Xorg window property and there is no Wayland protocol to replace that (tolerable for me as the only affected application that I use is Firefox).

Latte dock got some issues with the right click context menu and the popup that shows the windows opened by a program disappearing before I can click on anything, which is by far the most annoying bug I've encountered.

Thankfully, some of the bugs are mitigatable by applying some elbow grease, but overall 5.22 is the first version of Plasma on Wayland that's actually usable for me which IMO indicates that we're at least 95% there. I will report any weird behavior I've encountered on the KDE bug tracker and I am in good faith that these will get resolved (some maybe even before Plasma 5.23). Would I have hoped for a cleaner experience? Yes, absolutely but I attribute most of the issues to Wayland requiring devs to work around its restrictive design, either by using hacks or by proposing new protocols (which takes time).
      Last edited by kiffmet; 12 June 2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

About DPI, KDE doesn't even pick that up correctly. I have one monitor set at 100%, the other at 125%. Lo and behold, they both use 100% at startup. Only if I go to the display panel to change DPI by hand does it pick up the correct ratio. Still a looong way to go
        Strange, it works nicelly for me: 2 2560x1440 monitors + 1 1920x1080, which i put at 75% ( making 3 monitors at 2560x1440 ) and it always reminds it and configures it correctly at every boot or logout/login.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
          bug77 Have a look at what kscreen-doctor can do, as it seems like it can load and apply kscreen config files. Maybe you can utilize this in a little bash script that gets loaded at autostart as a workaround.
          I wish that would solve my issues. But I have others, real deal breakers

Also, there is no proper per-screen DPI in multi-monitor setups yet, only per screen scaling, which behaves differently.
          I guess these two were the same in my mind, but I see your point now.

That bug with the desktop background is weird and it didn't happen to me, despite I also switched from xorg to wayland.
          This doesn't relate to switching from X to Wayland, it happens when I simply stick to X. It's been doing it for quite a few releases already. I can set the wallpaper again, it's just getting tiresome. For added bonus, now it decided to also remove some widgets I spent a lot of time to configure (because several releases ago someone decided to make them nearly unusable by default). And yes, I thought about cleaning up the configuration a little, but good luck doing that with config files all over .config folder.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that your experiences are that negative Deleting stuff in the .config folder is not as much work as it sounds like. Simply omit all the stuff you absolutely have to keep (i.e the autostart and systemd folder) and delete everything else. You'd have to reconfigure your desktop once more (which I understand is the most annoying when you have a lot of customization going on), but I think the chances are good that it "just works" after that.
            If you backup the whole folder to another location before doing that, there is also zero risk of loosing important stuff. You can always selectively restore individual configs or the whole folder from the backup, in case things still don't work properly. Deleting ~/.cache when a new plasma release comes out can aid things to run smoothly aswell.

Comment

SDDM on Wayland is very much welcome.

Comment

But that's just the problem: I've already told it to use different DPI per screen. It just doesn't do that on startup, it needs me to go in and alter the settings again.
                And there are other, more "in your face" bugs too. E.g. on update to Plasma 5.22 it shows me the default wallpaper, even if I can go in the settings files and see my old wallpaper is still listed in there. Switching between X and Wayland also breaks a number of things.

All things considered, I'm happy with KDE on X and I've come to consider Michael's "this new KDE version features vastly improved Wayland support" as sarcasm or twisting the knife in the wound.
                I updated my KDE neon from 5.21 to 5.22 and I don't have the problems with the wallpaper you write here, maybe its a problem related with your distro or update process, you should try a fresh install. Also switching from X to Wayland don't break things for me but things already well know as official bugs to solve which are listed on the kde website.
                I'm a Plasma Wayland user since Plasma 5.21, and its almost all ok. For me Plasma Wayland its 90%, only needs another 10% to be as good as X. I can use and use it every day.
                Last edited by Yeayo guy; 13 June 2021, 04:07 AM.

Comment

I'm very excited about SDDM 20. I hope when the Fedora guys package it they remove the dependency on X. It's been chaffing my hide that I have all that X crud on my systems just because of SDDM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post

I updated my KDE neon from 5.21 to 5.22 and I don't have the problems with the wallpaper you write here, maybe its a problem related with your distro or update process, you should try a fresh install. Also switching from X to Wayland don't break things for me but things already well know as official bugs to solve which are listed on the kde website.
                    I'm a Plasma Wayland user since Plasma 5.21, and its almost all ok. For me Plasma Wayland its 90%, only needs another 10% to be as good as X. I can use and use it every day.
                    I suspect it's something related to old settings as well. Bugs I have raised so far were confirmed by others, yet stonwalled behind devs "unable to reproduce".
                    Even so, it would point to some deficiencies in dealing with config files properly.

Edit: Switching from X to Wayland doesn't break thing for me either (besides the general Wayland brokenness). Switching from Wayland to X however introduces some scaling issues (two monitors, different aspect ratios here). It also loses my Konsole session which hurts because I routinely have several tabs open.
                    Last edited by bug77; 13 June 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
                      now when do i get to set a custom screen res, as in other compositors, without compiling EDID files?
                      inb4 "nobody uses that feature, ur stupid for wanting it, y not do EDID, gNoMeIsMoRbEtTrReR" but sway bothered with it, so somebody must be using it besides just me.
                      The reality here is we are moving away from setting screen res. Wine for wayland work or items like gamescope https://github.com/Plagman/gamescope you need to look at.

Both allow you to say to application they have low resolution screen but the GPU upscale to the monitors current resolution. The result of these in future for majority of users you will set the monitor to one of EDID listed resolutions and use that for everything. There are lot of issues people have run into changing resolution for one application then return back to the desktop and the resolution be wrong. Think this scale route means you can tab out of a full screen application using a lower resolution back to the desktop without needing to change the resolution of the monitor.

From my point of view better and simpler tooling for doing the EDID files would be better. The future case with more effected users is going to be the monitor with the defective EDID.

Please note there are already versions of the Nvidia binary drivers for windows that you set a custom mode that is not in the EDID the result is black screen as the GPU refuses to output. Yes you put a hardware EDID faking device in and everything works fine again.

doomie I know its horrible but we are not promised that future graphics cards will accept custom modes on monitors that have EDID. So users like you who want custom modes at some point many also need the tooling for creating custom EDID to be decent.

Comment

Working...
                      X