Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma 5.23 Picking Up Latest Breeze Evolution Style, SDDM Lands Native Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma 5.23 Picking Up Latest Breeze Evolution Style, SDDM Lands Native Wayland Support

Phoronix: Plasma 5.23 Picking Up Latest Breeze Evolution Style, SDDM Lands Native Wayland Support

KDE developers didn't spend much time basking over their Plasma 5.22 release this week as they have already begun lining up changes for the first point release, new feature work for Plasma 5.23, and other improvements to this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fiiiinallly. SDDM on Wayland is long overdue.

Comment

Just like the rootless Xorg support was, another big item crossed off a list. Wayland support has got so much better, I think we can be really confident about its state in the foreseeable future (as long as hopefully no dev jumps off the ship).

Comment

I'll just leave this here for people who would like a good single-monitor highdpi experience on Plasma w/ Wayland. You'll need two scripts. The first one sets the DPI for Xwayland - replace 123 with your monitor's DPI, make the script executable and add it to your autostart as a program:
        Code:
        #!/bin/bash
        [ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" == "wayland" ]  && echo "Xft.dpi: 123" | xrdb -merge - ;
        The second one sets up QT and GTK scaling under Wayland. Save it under ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/dpi.sh and make it executable. Again, replace 123 with your monitor's DPI. GTK_DPI_SCALE is calculated the following: realDPI/96:
        Code:
        [COLOR=#000000]#!/bin/bash [/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#000000][ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" == "wayland" ]  && export QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPI=123 && export GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.28125[/COLOR]
        You can omit the last && and move the GDK_DPI_SCALE declaration into a new line if you also want it to get set under Xorg:
        Code:
        [COLOR=#000000][ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" == "wayland" ]  && export QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPI=123
        export GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.28125[/COLOR]
        By setting DPI like this, you also work around all QT bugs related to fractional scaling!

Comment

Plasma 5.22.1 with Wayland will now detect additional screens when using a multi-GPU setup.
          Yesssss!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Plasma 5.22.1 with Wayland will now detect additional screens when using a multi-GPU setup.
            Originally posted by grigi View Post
            Yesssss!
            hear hear!
            login screen no longer requiring X was inevitable, but still glad that's here too now. :3
            now when do i get to set a custom screen res, as in other compositors, without compiling EDID files?
            inb4 "nobody uses that feature, ur stupid for wanting it, y not do EDID, gNoMeIsMoRbEtTrReR" but sway bothered with it, so somebody must be using it besides just me.
            Last edited by doomie; 12 June 2021, 08:56 AM. Reason: Edit: mispelled bEtTrReR

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Just like the rootless Xorg support was, another big item crossed off a list. Wayland support has got so much better, I think we can be really confident about its state in the foreseeable future (as long as hopefully no dev jumps off the ship).
              Wayland support is in development since 2014. It took almost exactly seven years! https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/153

Its maintainers are too lazy to merge done Pull Requests (since since 2019): https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1220

If they don't care for sddm any longer, fine. Onboard some new people and hand them admin status. But with this attitude, there is no way sddm can grow its developer base, let alone transition to new hands.

LightDM is in better shape, despite the CLA thing and Canonical not even using it any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                I'll just leave this here for people who would like a good single-monitor highdpi experience on Plasma w/ Wayland. You'll need two scripts. The first one sets the DPI for Xwayland - replace 123 with your monitor's DPI, make the script executable and add it to your autostart as a program:
                Code:
                #!/bin/bash
                [ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" == "wayland" ] && echo "Xft.dpi: 123" | xrdb -merge - ;
                The second one sets up QT and GTK scaling under Wayland. Save it under ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/dpi.sh and make it executable. Again, replace 123 with your monitor's DPI. GTK_DPI_SCALE is calculated the following: realDPI/96:
                Code:
                [COLOR=#000000][ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" == "wayland" ] && export QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPI=123 && export GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.28125[/COLOR]
                You can omit the last && and move the GDK_DPI_SCALE declaration into a new line if you also want it to get set under Xorg:
                Code:
                [COLOR=#000000][ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" == "wayland" ] && export QT_WAYLAND_FORCE_DPI=123
                export GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.28125[/COLOR]
                By setting DPI like this, you also work around all QT bugs related to fractional scaling!
                About DPI, KDE doesn't even pick that up correctly. I have one monitor set at 100%, the other at 125%. Lo and behold, they both use 100% at startup. Only if I go to the display panel to change DPI by hand does it pick up the correct ratio. Still a looong way to go

Comment

bug77 yeah there is still a lot of room for improvement. I think, everything defaults to 96DPI atm. Being able to manually specify per monitor DPI within the screen settings would make a lot of sense. My main monitor is 2560x1440 24''. I could use a secondary monitor which is 24'' aswell, but only 1920x1080. currently, there is no way to make KDE's screen management understand that both screens have the same physical size

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                    bug77 yeah there is still a lot of room for improvement. I think, everything defaults to 96DPI atm. Being able to manually specify per monitor DPI within the screen settings would make a lot of sense. My main monitor is 2560x1440 24''. I could use a secondary monitor which is 24'' aswell, but only 1920x1080. currently, there is no way to make KDE's screen management understand that both screens have the same physical size
                    But that's just the problem: I've already told it to use different DPI per screen. It just doesn't do that on startup, it needs me to go in and alter the settings again.
                    And there are other, more "in your face" bugs too. E.g. on update to Plasma 5.22 it shows me the default wallpaper, even if I can go in the settings files and see my old wallpaper is still listed in there. Switching between X and Wayland also breaks a number of things.

All things considered, I'm happy with KDE on X and I've come to consider Michael's "this new KDE version features vastly improved Wayland support" as sarcasm or twisting the knife in the wound.

Comment

Working...
                    X