Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Released With Much Better Wayland Support, Usability Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zarathustra
    replied
    Hello. nice news. will it support fingerprint unlock on laptops?

Leave a comment:

• papu
    replied
    i using gentoo i have some problems of prior version:
    1.) spelling accents in some programs like : konsole, telegram-desktop,falkon not working with my locales.
    2.) kvirc don't starts/works
    3.) meta+shift+print rectangular screenshot on spectacle not copy to clipboard
    4.) some windows like telegram-desktop not remember position
    Last edited by papu; 11 June 2021, 07:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vladimir86
    replied
    I don't care or have Wayland into my system, and didn't notice any special changes (apart from the different lock screen, which was set as default, but that is basically a wallpaper), but the application menu got rid of that weird delay when you hover the mouse and feels super snappy now, so that's a slight but tangible improvement.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I want at least a pop-up window to ask me when some program tries to access my webcam, mike, location.
    And then have a list with all of them, like a table with the program name and which devices it I have given / denied it to access.
    Something similar to how it is on Android.
    I don't know what Flatpak is trying to solve because I have not seen any pop-up to ask for my permission for anything.
    Flatpak is a system of technologies that's working to retrofit Linux with an APK-like packaging system, including "a single package will just install and work on any distro" and "Applications are sandboxed by default and permissions are then granted... with prompts if appropriate".

Prompts are taking longer because there are more moving parts to coordinate and they wanted to prioritize getting a critical mass of packages that Just Work™ at least as well as the older packages without the ability to sandbox things.

(That's why a lot of Flatpak packages grant overly broad permissions. They want to get past that chicken-and-egg problem by making a good first impression of the packages' usability, you can always use Flatseal to tighten the permissions, and they lock down the default permissions later as the patches to make the prompting work better get upstreamed.)

That's also why you haven't seen any prompts. Because the goal is to make it so you don't notice anything different if possible... things are just more secure.

A good example of that is the file chooser portal. GTK and Qt have been retrofitted so that, if an application is using GtkFileChooserNative or QFileDialog without Option::DontUseNativeDialog, then GTK or Qt will transparently hand off to the XDG Portal system.

If you've found something where Flatseal says it has no filesystem permissions but the Open/Save dialogs still show the entire filesystem, that's what's going on:
    1. The application asks for an Open/Save dialog using the same GTK/Qt API as always
    2. GTK or Qt detects that it should use portals and makes a D-Bus call to the file chooser portal
    3. The privileged code outside the sandbox (provided by xdg-desktop-portal-kde) displays the standard KDE open/save dialog
    4. When you click OK, xdg-desktop-portal-kde mounts what you picked into the sandbox before replying to the D-Bus call with the path you picked.
    5. The application inside the sandbox never even notices there's any sandboxing going.
    If you want something visibly different, one example would be triggering off xdg-open inside a Flatpak sandbox. For example, asking the Flatpak release of the Deluge torrent client to open a downloaded file. The first time you do for a given combination of sandboxed application and file type, you'll get a dialog reminiscent of an Android app picker which is provided by xdg-desktop-portal-kde.

Adding prompts for audio and video access is going to be handled by Pipewire, which is like PulseAudio but for both audio and video... and the current state of things is so primitive (let the application open /dev/video0 directly if it wants camera access) that the same CUSE-based "proxy access to the old API like osspd did for OSS APIs" code that is needed for implementing backwards compatibility in Pipewire is also the code they'd have to write for a temporary hack for the current solution.

Even after I have installed Flatseal.
    Flatseal has nothing to do with popups. It's just a graphical frontend to the flatpak override subcommand used for changing the manifest permissions. (i.e. the ones that you're prompted for on installation.)

For location, I want to stop programs from getting the list of Wifi networks around me and send it online to get my precise location.
    This is a huge risk for me and my family privacy and security.
    The problem is that the underlying APIs are not designed with prompting in mind and they don't want to commit to supporting a temporary hack out into the indefinite future alongside the proper fix, so things like "network access" are an all-or-nothing thing until they've finished designing and pushing out the finished solution.

(I've mentioned that I'd like to see Flatpak gain the ability to grant access to the public Internet while denying access to stuff that's obviously part of the local LAN.)

Locking down network access in more fine-grained ways is lagging behind some of the other things which are more relevant to protecting you from bad actors who don't respond to the passing of laws like the GDPR. (i.e. They're prioritizing catching up with stuff that's already a solved problem on Android.)

Firefox is probably the only nice program that asks you by itself when some website want you access your webcam / mike / location, but why should we rely on a program to implement this kind of permissions ?
    Because a web browser is essentially an operating system within your operating system and has the luxury of not having to maintain compatibility with legacy programs written against an older, more naive version of that API.

In the browser, if the new API's not ready, websites just can't do it.

Same reason Android and iOS are much better at sandboxing applications than Windows, Linux, and macOS. They didn't have an ecosystem of legacy applications to avoid breaking when they did it. (And retaining compatibility with legacy applications is why the progression of "near-monopoly desktop platform" went "MS-DOS → Win3.1x → Win9x → WinXP → ...". Backwards compatibility is a huge competitive advantage and Microsoft knows it.)

I had to put tape on my webcam and mike because KDE Plasma does absolutely nothing to protect me against programs that want to grab video or audio from my home.
    Hopefully things will improve in the future.
    That's like saying "I had to put tape on my webcam and mike because Dolphin does absolutely nothing to protect me against programs that want to grab video or audio from my home". You're pointing your finger at the wrong component.

xdg-desktop-portal-kde is the component that's responsible for providing KDE-native GUIs for the desktop-agnostic undercarriage responsible for those sorts of prompts. ("XDG Portals" is the name of the system that's being retrofitted as a counterpart to Android's Intents system.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 09 June 2021, 12:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Citan View Post
    When you install lots of additional services and displays an "all in one" 'other' menu for the sole purpose of falsely demonstrating something that goes right with your personal hatred of KDE... Sure.

For normal users with default KDE configurations in most distros? Barring the non-display by default of menubar (which is honestly one of the worst things one could do in terms of UX, LOTS of users I show KDE are lost because of that and everhappy once I reactivate it), Dolphin and other applications are intuitive enough to use.
    ...and you can always do as ex-Konqueror-3.5-users like me did after Konqueror 4.x was a forest of papercuts... install PCManFM on KDE and set that as your file manager. It's even got a Qt version these days.

Leave a comment:

• Citan
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    KDE is nightmare to use!

When you install lots of additional services and displays an "all in one" 'other' menu for the sole purpose of falsely demonstrating something that goes right with your personal hatred of KDE... Sure.

For normal users with default KDE configurations in most distros? Barring the non-display by default of menubar (which is honestly one of the worst things one could do in terms of UX, LOTS of users I show KDE are lost because of that and everhappy once I reactivate it), Dolphin and other applications are intuitive enough to use.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    I tried the early build from testing on Arch and... It's kinda disappointed. I thought they'll fix more issues as they advertised. Perhaps it won't crash as much as it did on previous releases, but time will show... My quick summary (keep in mind that I'm talking Wayland session here. I consider X11 Plasma pretty solid):

What's improved:
    • Some UI elements are prettier, there was definitely some polish to the default theming
    • Animations feel a little smoother (but I'm not sure if it improved that much, hard to tell)
    • Previously when clicking on grouped app icon on task manager, but none of the groups' windows was focused, it simply did nothing instead of cycling between them. Looks like it's fixed.
    What's as annoying as before and is not fixed:
    • There are some minor glitches when using fractional scaling and QT5 apps (blue lines between menu elements, some lines randomly appear when typing in Konsola).
    • When scaling desktop, QT5 apps don't re-render correctly when moving around to different screens. For now, window that was scaled in higher res being moved to lower res looks disgusting (it's worth mention that I didn't notice that with GTK apps or Firefox or whatever, though when moved around the Firefox window visibly refreshes its content when needed)
    • Cursor is broken when using fractional scaling (either badly sized and/or distorted, depends on what's bellow).
    • Tooltips in shell drives me crazy when trying to use context menus and they overlap.
    • Telegram is slow to scroll... Weird, it's not slow on other compositors (at least for me) and Telegram devs claim it's not their fault
    • XWayland... yeah, XWayland. It's not your fault, KDE, but HiDPI handling should be worked around somehow until/unless it's getting anywhere upstream
    Regressions:
    • Pinch-to-zoom does not work on anymore on any app that can utilize it! (I'm not sure if that's not broken by some other update from the testing repo)
    • When using scaling, on startup the panel is rendered in low res, but when I restart the shell by calling `kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell` it looks crisp again. It did happen before, but with recent bugfixes on 5.21 it works fine.

Leave a comment:

• Mavman
    replied

All the options I never wanted, and all the options I never knew that I never wanted.
    I like your play of words!!! LOLOL

i believe Gnome is more suited to you then. They focus more in "less is more" and remove most less used features. Plasma is more targeted to power users and users that like to have "that specific feature that probably no one else in the world needs beside you"... - my kind of desktop LOLOL

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Mavman View Post

LOL

Simple by default, powerful when needed!

It's a bit weird yes... but i really can't think of any other way to let user have all those options at hand. It surely is way better than not having the options!!!
    All the options I never wanted, and all the options I never knew that I never wanted.

Leave a comment:

• Mavman
    replied
    KDE is nightmare to use!
    LOL

Simple by default, powerful when needed!

It's a bit weird yes... but i really can't think of any other way to let user have all those options at hand. It surely is way better than not having the options!!!
    Last edited by Mavman; 09 June 2021, 06:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X