Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Released With Much Better Wayland Support, Usability Enhancements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    KDE must be doing something right in their release pages and videos because I really hate every single one of them. So normal people must love it, same for Apple and MS.

    A lot of good improvements and I heard Fedora 34 is getting that update too so that's nice.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by usta View Post

      I suggest you to give a chance to Manjaro linux : https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/kde/
      Too bad that the Calamares installer doesn't play nicely with RAID setups. I did open a ticket for that some years ago, but it is 2021 and not fully working yet.

      On the new KDE, I will wait for the first point release. The chance is hight that the bugs I filed/reported on were not fixed and recent versions did not increase my confidence in their QA process.
      ms178
      Senior Member
      Last edited by ms178; 08 June 2021, 12:24 PM.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

        wrong topic?
        I think he means that he's not going to spend time upgrading his Fedora GNOME install because he's going to switch to KDE.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by usta View Post

          I suggest you to give a chance to Manjaro linux : https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/kde/
          No. Don't.

          Arch Linux with the new "archinstall" installer works wonders. It's the simplest Arch install I've ever done and no more difficult than an Ncurses Debian install. All a person needs to do, and what I did, is run "sudo pacman -Sy plasma-meta kde-applications-meta sddm" and then "sudo systemctl enable sddm" inside a chroot at the end so you'll reboot into a Plasma desktop with a graphical logon. Or run those commands upon first boot. You'll end up with the same results.

          I also added in "kde-development-environment-meta". It brings in a lot of packages the average person doesn't need so I didn't mention it in the easy to copy/paste commands.

          I did that with the first version of archinstall and it's still running great. The install might even be easier now since desktop environments have had some focus since I last used it.

          I'll also add that I've had much better experiences building KDE Plasma from kdesrc-build on Arch Linux over Manjaro if that's a factor in picking a distribution.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
            and no one can integrate KDE as the KDE devs
            The non-KDE part is Ubuntu LTS with it's rather old packagebase though

            Originally posted by ms178 View Post

            Too bad that the Calamares installer doesn't play nicely with RAID setups.
            you could use manjaro-architect (not the ISO, the CLI-Installer) instead of calamares, worked very well for my for a btrfs install.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

              No. Don't.

              Arch Linux with the new "archinstall" installer works wonders. It's the simplest Arch install I've ever done and no more difficult than an Ncurses Debian install. All a person needs to do, and what I did, is run "sudo pacman -Sy plasma-meta kde-applications-meta sddm" and then "sudo systemctl enable sddm" inside a chroot at the end so you'll reboot into a Plasma desktop with a graphical logon. Or run those commands upon first boot. You'll end up with the same results.

              I also added in "kde-development-environment-meta". It brings in a lot of packages the average person doesn't need so I didn't mention it in the easy to copy/paste commands.

              I did that with the first version of archinstall and it's still running great. The install might even be easier now since desktop environments have had some focus since I last used it.

              I'll also add that I've had much better experiences building KDE Plasma from kdesrc-build on Arch Linux over Manjaro if that's a factor in picking a distribution.
              Having done both, if you are the kind of person that uses KDE Manjaro is still much better than barebones archlinux install with meta package.

              Last time I manually installed KDE after a fresh arch install, there were still quite a few manual things you need to do to get a proper desktop experience.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

                Having done both, if you are the kind of person that uses KDE Manjaro is still much better than barebones archlinux install with meta package.

                Last time I manually installed KDE after a fresh arch install, there were still quite a few manual things you need to do to get a proper desktop experience.
                I feel that way about every install of every distribution with any desktop environment.

                Comment


                • #18
                  I just updated, mpv fails to start, some app icons show the wayland logo instead, this alone was enough to switch back to X11. Waiting for 5.23.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Wonderful, couldn't be happier to be a KDE Plasma user !
                    But still, I wish in the future they put some focus on privacy and security too like adding a way to manage access control to webcam / mike / location / network.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                      This thread is about new KDE Plasma 5.22 - so getting this advantages to move away from GNOME could be quite natural - and no one can integrate KDE as the KDE devs - and KDE neon as rolling KDE stack is really great (would never recommend to use Kubuntu for any LTS release after my experience). Thinking anyone can compete with KDE devs on bringing latest KDE should just breath and think.
                      But I personally would still prefer to stay on X.org till all X.org features are there and tested ... but that progress is very welcome.
                      I have both Kubuntu (for work) and KDE Neon (for pleasure).
                      Despite the KDE experience is far more pleasant that latest Gnome 3 I tried (before Ubuntu folks update, I admit), there still are some bugs here and there, in both Kubuntu and KDE Neon ("stable" release).
                      Wayland on KDE Neon (5.21.5) has still some annoying bugs that makes you turn your nose up because they affect the basic productivity.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X