GNOME's Need To Broaden Its Audience For Greater Impact & Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

De gustibus non es disputandum.

Arguing over which is the best or most correct desktop is futile and stupid. What is important is that the choices available work well for the people that choose them. If the funding from the userbase is insufficient for the developers' needs, then either the individual users need to pay more, or the userbase needs to expand, or a combination of both (or you could have fewer users paying considerably more for 'purity' - maybe Apple is a case in point).

I use neither GNOME or KDE, and the desktop I use is just about good enough for my purposes, but is by no means perfect. I just hope the choice beyond the 'big two' continues after Wayland. Good luck to GNOME, but I'm not in its target userbase. If I am, they've missed by a country mile.

Comment

What's old is new again, Gnome developers I suggest you read this and think how to make your UX & UI a less shit experience for users.....

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
        Ah the ol’ “Gnome won’t listen” narrative. You are partly right. Gnome listens to do’ers and ignore the sh!t posters. And like any meritocracy you need to prove yourself. Lack skills, patience and commitment? Then you are out. Got the skills and commitment, great then come and do crazy and disruptive like shell40 designs and libadwaita.

Any sane upstream need to discriminate against idiocy. Linux got an extremely efficient method. Linus flames a few people each year. Keeps the insecure people away and works like napalm against complacency. Gnome? They are a bit too nice in my opinion. And that’s the main problem.
        Keep your eyes closed, I'm sure it is the best way to solve the problems with FOSS software, and while we are at it, shut off lights to prevent people to see them, never mind things still keep been noise and smelly.

Pretending to know better does not mean to really have an upper hand. That has been the main fault of leaders of many project I gave patches to or appointed glitches on. Also, it is a ticket to failure or irrelevance. It has happened already many, many times, but some never really learn the lesson and go reproducing their mistakes throughout their lives, proud of them.

Comment

all kde users come to comment this threat, gnome works and since canonical use it again it improves a lot, its fast and pro, the workfload is good, people use the pluggins they want, easy to make a custom ux

Comment

Whenever we talk about DE, here is the usual story KDE is better, Gnome is better, XFCE is better .... actually we are lucky because we can choose. Stop throwing shit on what you don't like or don't meet your expectations. Each DE has its pros and cons, each DE has bugs, but all DEs are usable and they all work fairly well. Use what you prefer and live happy!

Comment

If the ideals of GNOME are those of Open Source, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapezoid View Post
                I’d bet my left testicle icons are easier to discern from the rest of the visual information and therefor quicker to locate. Additionally removing icons is a disservice individuals with dyslexia as the words themselves present an interaction/interface challenge.
                As a dyslexic.....eh.....it's mixed. Simple icons, like the outline-like ones that KDE Breeze and Firefox use, get just as flippy and screwy as letters. Icons like that are actually less helpful. As much as I like how nice and clean they look, I find them just as difficult to use day to day. I prefer full color 3d icons like Windows 10 and KDE Oxygen have. I find that that style doesn't go all flippy and screwy on me.

What I did for the longest time was treat different sized word blocks as Icons. "File" was an icon. "Options" was an icon. Since there is usually only the one Big F, the Big O (I should rewatch that), the Big H, all I have to do is find the right capital letter within a block. It also helped that the letter was also underlined and tied to a keyboard shortcut.

Two visual clues tied to a physical activity. I found and still find that easier than an Icon. Especially first use of a program. I might have to read it two or three times, but I won't be surprised by what it does.

Icon-Only interfaces feel like lots of guesswork that force me into having to point and click until I figure out what does what. They actually make me feel like I have no idea what's going on until I've clicked everything to see what's what. That's what I meant above by them being less helpful. We have to learn what they do and they might go all flippy screwy depending on the artistic style.

I hope you appreciate a dyslexic's view on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I hope you appreciate a dyslexic's view on the matter.
                  Thank you for your insights. Not to be rude but I am curious to know if the Dyslexie font works for you?

A unique typeface that prevents 3D movements and innovative tools to read, learn and work with more ease – anytime and anywhere. Want to try Dyslexie Font

Comment

About reliability. I'm used to run KDe systems and sometimes to test the new Gnome Oses. What I've noted: Kubuntu tends to be unstable over time, unlike KDe Neon which is very stable. After some weeks using Fedora, I delete it for many reasons: desktop layout and versatility in multimedia since many features are missed about codifications in order to see videos and streaming in several internet platforms. Ubuntu tends to be better than Fedora. Fedora is good for the integration of new applications in Linux informatics such as examples Wayland and PipeWire. My idea is that Fedora is a kind of incubator of news, a kind of precursor. Indeed, it carries out an addressing activity testing and implementing the innovations. Which is a good aim for all the other Linux Oses which are in stand by for them.
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 07 June 2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Maybe follow hellosystem UI/UX ! https://hellosystem.github.io/

Comment

Working...
                      X