Linux's USB Audio Driver Aims For Latency Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

Okay... but why would you use JACK on such hardware?
    Lower latency. The last time I tried (in 2015) on a laptop with CA0132 the card enforced a buffer size of 1024 or higher (anything else causes overruns).

Comment

How's your Linux USB and wireless audio support been working out these days with recent devices and different desktops / audio back-ends? The situation is certainly much improved from in the past, but let us know in the forums if you are still encountering any Linux audio oddities.
      For USB audio: Excellent. Be it the cheap 7.1 card or the professional DJ controller; PulseAudio or JACK, it works. All 8 channels, LEDs, input/output (both microphone, line and S/PDIF) and even the buttons work. And it goes down to ~2ms latency (sometimes lower than my HDA!).
      For wireless audio: I have never tried, as I do not own any wireless audio devices. Lossy codecs and higher latency irk me (heck, several companies claim to have achieved 60ms over Bluetooth, but that's nothing when compared to 5ms (or less) over cable).

Comment

Focus on latency is good and with any clean up I hope for more or maintained robustness. E.g. use two USB sound cards, use an USB soundcard for playback and a webcam with a video stream and a sound capture stream and pull either one while in use.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

For USB audio: Excellent. Be it the cheap 7.1 card or the professional DJ controller; PulseAudio or JACK, it works. All 8 channels, LEDs, input/output (both microphone, line and S/PDIF) and even the buttons work. And it goes down to ~2ms latency (sometimes lower than my HDA!).
          For wireless audio: I have never tried, as I do not own any wireless audio devices. Lossy codecs and higher latency irk me (heck, several companies claim to have achieved 60ms over Bluetooth, but that's nothing when compared to 5ms (or less) over cable).
          Standard USB Audio class works, but do the professional sound interfaces? Eg. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 mk3?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Standard USB Audio class works, but do the professional sound interfaces? Eg. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 mk3?
            Yes, they do. But since 18i20 mk3 uses implicit feedback, you need a recent kernel version. At least 5.11 if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

And I forgot to mention that almost all professional audio interfaces are UAC compliant these days.

Comment

Creative SB1290 USB Audio - works fine.
                Allen & Heath ZED8i - USB DAC interface works great
                Various BT earbuds and headphones with BT 4.0 and BT 5.0 USB adapters. Not so great.

Comment

Working...
                X