Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's USB Audio Driver Aims For Latency Reduction

Phoronix: Linux's USB Audio Driver Aims For Latency Reduction

With the upcoming Linux 5.14 cycle, the USB sound driver will ideally exhibit lower latency when starting playback...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am using a Soundblaster Zx (CA0132), which is fully working, including all the proprietary DSP features and 5.1 surround and occasionally an AptX enabled Bluetooth headset. I've had zero issues so far. Gentoo amd64, Pulseaudio 13.0, Kernel 5.12 series

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
      I am using a Soundblaster Zx (CA0132), which is fully working, including all the proprietary DSP features and 5.1 surround and occasionally an AptX enabled Bluetooth headset. I've had zero issues so far. Gentoo amd64, Pulseaudio 13.0, Kernel 5.12 series
      What is this supposed to show?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I guess it shows that somehow one person actually managed to not have a single audio issue or so they think?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          I think that someone actually bought into the Sound Blaster hype, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

I guess it shows that somehow one person actually managed to not have a single audio issue or so they think?
            Yeah, sometimes the silent majority dares to post a positive confirmation that stuff actually works - to great frustration for the angry vocal minority

Comment

Just measured roundtrip with pipewire as a sound server on my USB DAC it a is 70ms and on build-in sound card 45ms. Need to compare after the patch.
              Upd: Actually excluding pipewire default buffers it would be ~26ms and ~2ms correspondingly. Which is probably a big deal for Osu! players.
              Last edited by pkunk; 04 June 2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                How come?!
                Try using JACK on it. It will be impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

How come?!
                  Try using JACK on it. It will be impossible.
                  Okay... but why would you use JACK on such hardware?

Comment

I use a Soundblaster X G5 on USB. The volume and correct input is not remembered by the system.
                    So I wrote a little python script to do this for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X