Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux's USB Audio Driver Aims For Latency Reduction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux's USB Audio Driver Aims For Latency Reduction

    Phoronix: Linux's USB Audio Driver Aims For Latency Reduction

    With the upcoming Linux 5.14 cycle, the USB sound driver will ideally exhibit lower latency when starting playback...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Audio-Latency

  • #2
    I am using a Soundblaster Zx (CA0132), which is fully working, including all the proprietary DSP features and 5.1 surround and occasionally an AptX enabled Bluetooth headset. I've had zero issues so far. Gentoo amd64, Pulseaudio 13.0, Kernel 5.12 series

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
      I am using a Soundblaster Zx (CA0132), which is fully working, including all the proprietary DSP features and 5.1 surround and occasionally an AptX enabled Bluetooth headset. I've had zero issues so far. Gentoo amd64, Pulseaudio 13.0, Kernel 5.12 series
      What is this supposed to show?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lucrus View Post

        What is this supposed to show?
        I guess it shows that somehow one person actually managed to not have a single audio issue or so they think?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          What is this supposed to show?
          I think that someone actually bought into the Sound Blaster hype, lol!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ix900 View Post

            I guess it shows that somehow one person actually managed to not have a single audio issue or so they think?
            Yeah, sometimes the silent majority dares to post a positive confirmation that stuff actually works - to great frustration for the angry vocal minority

            Comment


            • #7
              Just measured roundtrip with pipewire as a sound server on my USB DAC it a is 70ms and on build-in sound card 45ms. Need to compare after the patch.
              Upd: Actually excluding pipewire default buffers it would be ~26ms and ~2ms correspondingly. Which is probably a big deal for Osu! players.
              Last edited by pkunk; 04 June 2021, 06:05 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                I am using a Soundblaster Zx (CA0132), which is fully working, including all the proprietary DSP features and 5.1 surround and occasionally an AptX enabled Bluetooth headset. I've had zero issues so far. Gentoo amd64, Pulseaudio 13.0, Kernel 5.12 series
                How come?!
                Try using JACK on it. It will be impossible.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                  How come?!
                  Try using JACK on it. It will be impossible.
                  Okay... but why would you use JACK on such hardware?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I use a Soundblaster X G5 on USB. The volume and correct input is not remembered by the system.
                    So I wrote a little python script to do this for me.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X