X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post
    The gestures fix is very important for Gnome 40 users - at least on my touchpad it fixes cases of very erratic workspace switching etc.
    I second that. Any fix for touchpad gestures is welcome, and it should be the absolute priority.

Gnome (3.XX or 40) is a mess either with the keyboard or the mouse/touchpad (as a mouse substitute), or with both. In terms of hand movements, it's the worst possible UI.
    But... with touchpad 3/4-finger gestures, it finally starts to make sense and helps getting rid of 75% of the ridiculous and useless hand movements.

So libinput has become a central piece of the puzzle.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    I tested today and pinch-to-zoom gesture detection is way better now!

Leave a comment:

• dreich
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    And finally, why the *BSD forums or mailing lists are often visited by these kids on an almost daily basis, claiming that the existance of these projects offends them
    Same reason why the kids from the freebsd forum visit this very one claiming that the existence of these projects offends them. Kids are kids.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    If anyone feels like doing a Psychology PhD, there is a potential thesis opportunity!
    There's more than enough toilet paper already.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think you misunderstood. 144Hz is a pro-Gnome troll who copy and pastes that message into every article, claiming that everything good about Linux is done by Gnome devs.
    Yep, he has put RH and (by proxy) G3 so far up that pedestal he can taste it.

Possibly a type of Stockholme syndrome. They start worshiping these big companies because they can't see (based on their own inadequacies) how normal people like you or me could ever hope to do cool things with computers. Whereas "companies" are gods that have transcended human limitations.

I believe it to be the related mentality why a kid would almost risk their own life to defend the IP of a company like Valve or EA rather than support a smaller indie or startup.

And finally, why the *BSD forums or mailing lists are often visited by these kids on an almost daily basis, claiming that the existance of these projects offends them

In some ways I also suspect (possibly subconciously) they get a kick out of the idea that by everything changing and "modernizing", it makes it very difficult for individuals to carry on doing cool things (i.e they need to retrain in Wayland rather than X11) and in many ways becoming as useless and reliant on RH as they are.

If anyone feels like doing a Psychology PhD, there is a potential thesis opportunity!
    Last edited by kpedersen; 02 June 2021, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by iskra32 View Post

What is your problem with redhat and gnome devs?
    His problem is that they haven't created a statue of him outside of Red Hat's and GNOME's HQ's yet.

Seems like you're new here (Jan 2021 registration date), so just so you know: he's an extreme pro-GNOMEr and, at times, troll.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Red Hat and GNOME developers, as usual.
    144Hz first poster with nothing interesting to say, as usual.

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    I just wish my touchpad would stop clicking random places and shifting focus when I'm typing.

(Yes, I tried to fix it: Raising the handrests a bit above the touchpad using cardboard and tape. It was only a conceptual success: They fell off pretty quickly and the glue left dirty stripes on the screen.)
    Last edited by andreano; 02 June 2021, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by iskra32 View Post

What is your problem with redhat and gnome devs? Yes, GNOME itself has a rather flawed design philosophy in my opinion. But the tech that they come up with is widely used by a lot more projects than just GNOME, and substantially improves the lives of users of basically any DE. Especially true for libinput, which is pretty much universally the input stack used on both X and Wayland compositors.
    I think you misunderstood. 144Hz is a pro-Gnome troll who copy and pastes that message into every article, claiming that everything good about Linux is done by Gnome devs.

Leave a comment:

• iskra32
    replied
    What is your problem with redhat and gnome devs? Yes, GNOME itself has a rather flawed design philosophy in my opinion. But the tech that they come up with is widely used by a lot more projects than just GNOME, and substantially improves the lives of users of basically any DE. Especially true for libinput, which is pretty much universally the input stack used on both X and Wayland compositors.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    It is a meme already

Leave a comment:

Working...
X