Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 27.0 Released With Undo/Redo, Wayland Support

Phoronix: OBS Studio 27.0 Released With Undo/Redo, Wayland Support

OBS Studio 27.0 is out as the latest major feature release to this cross-platform, open-source software for desktop screen recording and livestreaming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Wayland support done by a GNOME and Mutter developer.
    Well yeah because Wayland and Gnome are both freedesktop projects. It is kind of their responsibility until their technology becomes mainstream rather than X11.

Its like the FreeBSD port was done by a FreeBSD developer. Makes sense right?

Why would a FreeBSD or Haiku developer do a Wayland port? They don't care about Wayland.

Comment

Ah, excellent! Gonna give it a spin on sway this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Wayland support done by a GNOME and Mutter developer.
        Yeah, I have to agree with kpedersen here, and I never do.

The fact that a GNOME developer has had to go out of their way to get the support he needed/wanted is actually kind of a bad thing: the argument o be done here is that "if Wayland were so great and had such a huge user base, every project would port to it themselves".

I say this as someone who uses Gnome/Wayland full-time. I appreciate (love, actually) Georges work, and have followed the 3-part merge request for months.

Comment

It's pretty cool that OBS Studio is open source, and it is hugely popular among gamers and streamers. It is one of those popular open source software among Linux, LibreOffice, Firefox and GIMP.

Comment

I haven't done a lot of video work, but I was impressed with OBS when I got into it for a YouTube I made on OpenMP. Then, a few months later, an update of something on my Ubuntu install had broken it. I haven't had the time to will to mess with it, but it can't seem to see that I have a graphics card anymore and complains as such. I might try out this update just in case it was an OBS issue. I'd love to get it working again!

Comment

So is it using Pipewire?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Yeah, I have to agree with kpedersen here, and I never do.

The fact that a GNOME developer has had to go out of their way to get the support he needed/wanted is actually kind of a bad thing: the argument o be done here is that "if Wayland were so great and had such a huge user base, every project would port to it themselves".

I say this as someone who uses Gnome/Wayland full-time. I appreciate (love, actually) Georges work, and have followed the 3-part merge request for months.
                I agree, if I'm reading your comment correctly. In cases like OBS, Linux/Wayland is probably not even a statistical blip on their user target base. OBS is targeted at film people, bloggers, education (I've used it to record lectures), and other not-necessarily-technical fields and use cases. As as consequence I'd bet most of their users are Windows, then Mac, then Linux/X11 in that order of popularity. Internal developer resources go where there's both interest and need.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  So is it using Pipewire?
                  According to the changelog on github, yes. It is using pipewire:

> Added support for Wayland on Linux. This includes a new PipeWire capture source when using Wayland (for Ubuntu users, 20.10 or newer is required for PipeWire capture)

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                    Wayland relies on Pipewire for capture. It's possible that they didn't feel Pipewire was ready yet or wasn't included in enough distributions for it to be worth it. The fact that a Gnome developer implemented it into OBS is irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                    X