OBS Studio 27.0 Released With Undo/Redo, Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Wayland relies on Pipewire for capture. It's possible that they didn't feel Pipewire was ready yet or wasn't included in enough distributions for it to be worth it. The fact that a Gnome developer implemented it into OBS is irrelevant.
    Except that Wayland and Pipewire are related: Gnome Wayland relies on Piprewire for a bunch of things (very specifically, for screen sharing, which is one of OBS's points).

So no, not irrelevant.

Comment

Not yet updated on Flathub !
      Waiting for someone to add the new version there so I can install (update) it.

I don't understand if they just added support support for Pipewire or it's mandatory to install it on my Kubuntu 21.04 distro in order for Wayland capture to work.
      But I guess I'll have to install it when it will become available and see if that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        Except that Wayland and Pipewire are related: Gnome Wayland relies on Piprewire for a bunch of things (very specifically, for screen sharing, which is one of OBS's points).
        So no, not irrelevant.
        Yes, they're related but not one in the same. I'm not sure why anyone would act like it's some kind of bad sign that someone who worked on Gnome is the one responsible for adding Wayland support to OBS. Who cares?

There's loads of reasons that might have contributed to OBS only now supporting Wayland. The state of Pipewire might have been one of them, the amount Nvidia users might be another reason, distros not defaulting to Wayland was probably a big reason, and one of the most likely issues could have been Qt's Wayland support. Even with OBS 27, last I checked it can't re-dock floating panels under Wayland because of a bug in Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I don't understand if they just added support support for Pipewire or it's mandatory to install it on my Kubuntu 21.04 distro in order for Wayland capture to work.
          But I guess I'll have to install it when it will become available and see if that's the case.
          It would be mandatory as Pipewire is what allows window and screen capture to work in Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Well yeah because Wayland and Gnome are both freedesktop projects. It is kind of their responsibility until their technology becomes mainstream rather than X11.
            This conflates a number of things. GNOME officially is a GNU project and it is part of the original name and predates freedesktop.org by well more than a decade. freedesktop.org hosts a collection of loosely affiliated projects including Wayland and Xorg itself

There is no direct expectation that a GNOME developer would be doing the ports of unaffiliated projects to Wayland. It just so happens one of them was interested in doing the work in this case however.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Well yeah because Wayland and Gnome are both freedesktop projects. It is kind of their responsibility until their technology becomes mainstream rather than X11.

Its like the FreeBSD port was done by a FreeBSD developer. Makes sense right?

Why would a FreeBSD or Haiku developer do a Wayland port? They don't care about Wayland.
              Rahul seems to be correct here. xorg-x11 is a fdo project, too, like Wayland, see here:

Afaik Gnome is still part of GNU.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125
                The fact that a GNOME developer has had to go out of their way to get the support he needed/wanted is actually kind of a bad thing: the argument o be done here is that "if Wayland were so great and had such a huge user base, every project would port to it themselves".
                I don’t see it as a bad sign. Judging by the patches, it’s not that they couldn’t add Wayland support on their own, it’s that Wayland wasn’t ready to be added because Mutter and Pipewire also needed to be changed. He just happened to be in the unique position of knowing a good bit about the whole stack on the Linux side.

How is this an indictment of Wayland?

Comment

Speaking of Wayland, OBS is also useful to force applications that don't properly share their screen under Wayland to work.

e.g.: You can use it as a virtual camera input in Zoom (whose wayland capture is broken).
                  - On the OBS side, you setup the obs-v4l2sink virtual camera output
                  - On the Zoom side you force sharing enable with some environment variable (because otherwise the dialogue doesn't even show up), then you select secondary camera as a source and pick the virtual camera provided by OBS.

Comment

Has anyone tried it? OBS supported pipewire capture in the flatpak since 26 but it records at about 2 frames a second. Is performance any better?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                      Has anyone tried it? OBS supported pipewire capture in the flatpak since 26 but it records at about 2 frames a second. Is performance any better?
                      Sure, it's seems really fast. Try

gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['dma-buf-screen-sharing']"

also.

Comment

Working...
                      X