No announcement yet.

Firefox 89 Released With UI/UX Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting proton.* properties to "false" doesn't fix the icons though. They look very bad like they lack anti-aliasing and the "bold" property was removed from them. The download button is a special piece of crap.

The scrollbar is now thin with custom styling. Goddamit, Mozilla. Is it hard to just not touch anything?
    Last edited by Monsterovich; 02 June 2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Why does mozilla always need to change things that do not need change. Lets set asside the grafical changes. Why change the shortcuts in the menu? Before "L" was delete marked bookmark. Now its "N" for whatever reason. I have no idea why this change was required.

Comment

The reason FF UI updates always get panned - not just here, but literally everywhere - is simply that they ARE worse.

It takes no intelligence at all to understand that vertical space is precious, and yet the FF UI monkeys can't even comprehend THAT much. So they are at a minimum utterly incompetent, and thus will never manage any degree of competence other than by accident.

Similarly, literally everyone in this field with any understanding at all of basic human biology should and does know that higher contrast = easier reading (or other interpretation of symbols, etc). Again, the FF UI team can't even get that right.

The icing on the cake is that they lied about - to take one example - the number of people using Compact mode. They made their decision first - a decision that was already incompetent - and then "spun the narrative", i.e. lied, to justify that decision after the fact. Then they *buried* Compact mode in this release so that it CAN'T be used by any "normal" user, so that 6 months from now they'll be able to say that they were "right" about how nobody uses it, and can pull support for it completely.
        That's a pretty massive degree of dishonesty, but one that's become absolutely typical of Mozilla ever since they murdered half of their userbase a few years ago and their sugar daddy killed off 3/4 of what was left by pushing Chrome relentlessly.

So, yeah: they're incompetent, and they're dishonest. And the Mozilla management has slaughtered the dev team so that they can skim off even more of the funding directly into Mitchell Baker's pockets rather than "waste" it on actually trying to compete with Chrome. None of that is a recipe for anything good for the users, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that "nothing good" is what we're getting.

Comment

So I finally updated Firefox. I actually love the theme. Particularly the Light theme. I'm not sure what the complaints are about, it looks great!

Comment

I've just install 89 release. It has a good UI. It's no more different from the previous one except for the rounded tabs. What this UI innovation has penalized is the space among the several elements reducing their dimension. Look at tabs or shortcuts.
            Last edited by Azrael5; 03 June 2021, 04:45 AM.

Comment

If they want to improve, Firefox developers have to remove those useless steps from the several menus. To get both features page or history page 3 steps are necessary. It's absurd.
              Is there a way to change ctrl+shift+s hotkeys in order to run the screenshot feature?
              Last edited by Azrael5; 04 June 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by krzyzowiec View Post
                So I finally updated Firefox. I actually love the theme. Particularly the Light theme. I'm not sure what the complaints are about, it looks great!
                I also like it! And I am a guy who loves old style interfaces (actually using MATE)!

Comment

Just got the update on Kubuntu and the new ui itself looks okay with my theme. I just really hate how wide it is. What's also interesting is that not long ago there was a compat mode option for the Proton ui which is now removed. It's like they force us to use a touchscreen optimized ui on a desktop which is ridiculous.

Comment

I already said that i like it, now after a few hours i have to say it's really better than the previous ones. This one seems to beat Chrome finally at UI.

One thing i miss is the "widening" of the URL bar when it was active/focused. It looks so small now, compared to the overall tabbar even more!

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post

I also like it! And I am a guy who loves old style interfaces (actually using MATE)!
                      Although I did complain in this post about the UI earlier, I agree there is a gem in this update, which is... the URL input field no longer enlarges itself whenever it is in focus. They clean up what they messed up last time. If they give people back "compact" mode in reach by mouse click and make line-height of menu entries also "compact" when users say "compact", then things will be a lot better.

Another anti-feature / "won't fix" bug that they introduced this turn (which doesn't affect me) is tabs-in-title-bar-position cannot auto adjust itself to follow system-background-color of active window title bar. While there are also many other programs that refuse to blend in nowadays, this is not a valid reason to join their camp.

Comment

Working...
                      X