Firefox 89 Released With UI/UX Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Looks to me you are using a dark theme, at last to the browser. All that white is unbearable to me if I'm using dark themes on a PC. Had you experimented using a extension to make websites dark? Dark Reader for example had improved so much that I'm using it permanently for months now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

I actually laughed out loud when I saw that screenshot. Damn, I haven't seen that many extra icons cluttering a toolbar since the age of the adware/spyware toolbars in the 00's. Do you really need all these addons? E.g. AFAIK Privacy Badger is redundant when used in recent Firefox versions with tracker blocking implemented, all the more so since uBlock is also used. Also, there are at least some addons that could be removed from the toolbar even while staying active (e.g. the Plasma integration addon, YouTube enhancer, maybe Stylus, and probably a couple more).
      Yeah. A few of them are redundant and unnecessary. Long story short, I was running a bare metal Fedora Silverblue setup, installed some plugins, a bit later I accessed my Firefox account because I can't remember randomized passwords, and basically clusterfucked myself when the account plugins synced in.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 02 June 2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Looks to me you are using a dark theme, at last to the browser. All that white is unbearable to me if I'm using dark themes on a PC. Had you experimented using a extension to make websites dark? Dark Reader for example had improved so much that I'm using it permanently for months now.
        I have a hard time finding extensions that display sites in a way that I like or that don't invert images or video control interfaces...things like that. As much as I dislike all the white I'd rather see a site as the creator intended versus the sometimes nice or sometimes bastardized experiences I end up with.

Comment

I prefer the tabs in the title bar, it's just wasted space otherwise. It's pretty cool to me.
          But the floating tabs looking disconnected from the content feels, looks and is wrong.
          Not a big fan of all the extra spacings and paddings either.

Is this new UI fully asynchronous with browser content?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have a hard time finding extensions that display sites in a way that I like or that don't invert images or video control interfaces...things like that. As much as I dislike all the white I'd rather see a site as the creator intended versus the sometimes nice or sometimes bastardized experiences I end up with.
            What do you think about SmartUpscale?
            SmartUpscale — prevents blurring images on webpages (integer scaling)

(I personally think it's a great add-on that improves the look of webpages and the images on them,)

Comment

Was using the 89 beta for some days and couldn't get used to the lost vertical pixels and the detached tabs.

But hey.. "It's the users fault, if they don't like firefox anymore", right?
              https://www.statista.com/statistics/544400/market-share-of-internet-browsers-desktop/

Comment

I would guess that if you put up a vote on mozilla.com "do you like the updated design in 89?", that a majority would vote yes. That's just my opinion though, I have no problems accepting that some disagree. I'm not suprised some of you think a piece of paper that says you completed a course means you know better either, or that a Firefox usage statistic from the past says anything about how users perceives the design in the just-released update. Any change in any program usually results in "its trash, garbage" on Phoronix.

Comment

Some things got better, other things worse. For me there are only few that annoy me:
                  - Lost vertical space in menu and Tabs
                  - Missing symbols in the menu
                  - Activ tabs aren't highlighted enough

But these points and many more are fixed with the so called "Lepton"-CCS on https://github.com/black7375/Firefox-UI-Fix (everything shown with pictures if you want to know), now I'm really happy!

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
                    I would guess that if you put up a vote on mozilla.com "do you like the updated design in 89?", that a majority would vote yes. That's just my opinion though, I have no problems accepting that some disagree. I'm not suprised some of you think a piece of paper that says you completed a course means you know better either, or that a Firefox usage statistic from the past says anything about how users perceives the design in the just-released update. Any change in any program usually results in "its trash, garbage" on Phoronix.
                    The problem is there is just as much to like with this update as there is to dislike. I'm not a fan of the large sizes, extra padding, floating tabs, tabs that blend in to the background, but I think the new dark color scheme is nicer (aside from inactive tabs) and the icons look cleaner and better. All of my issues are fixed with Lepton.

The point of a web browser is to display web site content. Every bit of padding added to the browser interface is content removed from a web page. That's why so many of us here like Compact Mode. We use the browser to display information and this update removes the amount of information that can be displayed. I'm complaining and I'm posting this from a 55" 4K TV. I ain't hurting for screen real estate but I'd rather have the extra 10 pixels of a picture or an extra line of text than an extra 10 pixels of toolbar padding of tabs that can hard to make out what's what.

Without Lepton the inactive tab colors really blend into the background meaning that when I go to use the application interface things aren't clearly defined so I have to spend an extra moment ensuring I'm clicking the right thing due to the greatly increased quick glance difficulty their new inactive tab style brings. An experienced user should just be able to glance at the screen and know what's what and we can't do that with FF89 with the default inactive tabs. Trying to hot corner Firefox on one side and Kate on the other I was accidentally dragging tabs to into new windows because at a quick glace they look like GNOME Header Bar Application Titles and not tabs because there's no defining cells or lines to define one tab from next. That got old fast...and then I'd do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                      What do you think about SmartUpscale?
                      SmartUpscale — prevents blurring images on webpages (integer scaling)

(I personally think it's a great add-on that improves the look of webpages and the images on them,)
                      Just installed it. I'll let you know in another day or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X