Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 89 Released With UI/UX Changes

Phoronix: Firefox 89 Released With UI/UX Changes

Mozilla is kicking off June by shipping Firefox 89.0 with their latest revisions to their user interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The absolute worst Firefox redesign in its history.

The reddit Firefox community is now discussing ways to fix this new UI: Firefox 89.0 release (Proton UI): let's help each other make the transition! (support thread)

As a quick partial fix go to about:config and set browser.proton.enabled to false but this setting will be removed soon.

Comment

I think the worst design in the history of Firefox was ‘Australis’. It was horrible.

Comment

This redesign is even worse then Australis. Really, the last design was done very well and now they do that insult to human taste.

Comment

I like that they are using native context menus on MacOS.

My biggest concern is that I'm losing 24 vertical pixels when using compact density (and now it says compact is now "not supported"?). I'm not sure how much you're losing on normal density since I didn't measure it.

The floating tabs feels strange to me, like the tabs are no longer connected to the content I'm browsing.

The contrast is almost completely gone. This must make it more difficult for some people to see.

Edit: the elastic scroll at the top and bottom of the page is something I wish I could turn off. May be a small thing, but I don't like it.
          Edit 2: the compact mode is apparently removed for anyone that wasn't using it when they updated. To think this feature is on life-support is really bothering me. The giant "normal" UI is not something I want to use at all.
          Edit 3: The new tab button isn't beside the tabs, but pushed over to the far right side of the window... ugh. This update is annoying me now.
          Edit 4: My edit 3 was wrong. The new tab button is fine. Can't find strike-thru text option to edit that part properly.
          Last edited by antnythr; 01 June 2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Those "floating" tab titles are stupid because they look out of place and there's waste space under them. In a world dominated by wide screens, what kind of designers would waste vertical space for no reason? Bad ones, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              The absolute worst Firefox redesign in its history.
              Agree 100%. Yet another reminder that 'change' is not always a good thing.

Comment

At least Firefox changes for the worse. In something it improves 😂

I hoped for simplification of the menu.... it appears the same.
                Last edited by Azrael5; 01 June 2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I like redisign. Not sure about tabs. I don't use horizontal tabs, i disabled them and use TreeStyleTabs instead.

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post
                    I like redisign. Not sure about tabs. I don't use horizontal tabs, i disabled them and use TreeStyleTabs instead.
                    Me too, it feels a lot more modern and...clean..that's a good word for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X