No announcement yet.

Firefox 89 Released With UI/UX Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to remove X button from the tab?

Comment

Runnig firefox nigthlies all the time I got the new design quite some time ago. After some short stumbling I like it, it's good.

I also don't get that moaning about vertical space. Yes, there are some small paddings but the relative amount of screen estate anyone looses by those paddings is really more a mindset than a technical problem. And really: Putting everything as densely as possible is no good UI/UX either....

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
        I also don't get that moaning about vertical space. Yes, there are some small paddings but the relative amount of screen estate anyone looses by those paddings is really more a mindset than a technical problem. And really: Putting everything as densely as possible is no good UI/UX either....
        Lots of padding is good for touch interfaces. It's poor for mouse controlled ones. I think a lot of the issue that everyone and their dog is currently trying to "unify" their UI/UX across all devices... since touch interfaces, particularly on small touch screen devices like smartphones, are the one exhibiting this interactivity limitation the most, they become the "lowest common denominator".

And thus we end up with the Windows 8 Start Menu on a 32" diagonal desktop screen.

I actually liked the Tile menu on Windows Phone, but it doesn't work on a desktop.

But what do I know? I turn my mouse sensitivity up so high I can move my cursor from one side of the screen to the other (4K) within about an inch of movement. My aunt, on the other hand, has hers so low that on a 720p screen, she has to move her mouse from one side of the mousepad (about 10" I guess) to the other three times to move across the screen. That would drive me crazy! I await the day that the ability to adjust mouse sensitivity is removed and left at "lowest common denominator", because that does seem to be the way computing is going.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
          Lots of padding is good for touch interfaces. It's poor for mouse controlled ones. I think a lot of the issue that everyone and their dog is currently trying to "unify" their UI/UX across all devices... since touch interfaces, particularly on small touch screen devices like smartphones, are the one exhibiting this interactivity limitation the most, they become the "lowest common denominator".
          Touch interface doesn't ask for lots of padding. It only asks for fatter buttons. One can keep the old padding and enlarge the font to achieve the same need. Or wrap the text in button / hyperlink into 2+ lines then it will also be less thin.
          Last edited by billyswong; 04 June 2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I like the new UI, if the problem is the real estate occupied by the new tabs I think there should be a way to reduce the height.

Comment

My third post in the group is for two things:
              1. I've just realised that my tabs are not that large only because Mozilla kept the "Compact" mode as a "not-supported" option which was kept at that setting. I have to say that with that option it looks awesome while with "Normal" it already starts to be bloated.
              2. So please upvote here if you want that option to be kept and "supported": Mozilla Crowdicity request

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisIrwin View Post
                I've been using the 89 via Flatpak all morning. It's not horrible. The tab buttons actually match Adwaita style better than the old tabs did. That said, I still wish the buttons were connected at the bottom to look more like actual tabs.

I think the hamburger menu probably needs to be broken into two menus, one to control the application/window (new tabs, bookmarks, settings, etc), and the other to control the current tab (printing, screenshots, etc)
                If you want an even better adwaita style match, try this https://github.com/rafaelmardojai/firefox-gnome-theme

Comment

Just got to use it right now and its not a big deal. Point in fact it wasn't really necessary as it does nothing for my use of it. Waste of time as is just about always the case for UI changes.

Comment

The new theme looks okay, I actually like it. The only thing that bothers me are those ugly tabs. I think they would look better moved back under the address bar like the early days, and maybe "reconnect" them to look more like tabs.

After hacking at my userChrome.css file, this is what I was able to come up with:
                    Firefox Proton with Tabs in middle - http://www.unibia.com/unibianet

Comment

Originally posted by tuaris View Post
                      The new theme looks okay, I actually like it. The only thing that bothers me are those ugly tabs. I think they would look better moved back under the address bar like the early days, and maybe "reconnect" them to look more like tabs.

After hacking at my userChrome.css file, this is what I was able to come up with:
                      Firefox Proton with Tabs in middle - http://www.unibia.com/unibianet
                      It literally doesn't do anything other than be more appealing or not. I agree if its unappealing to a certain point then get rid of it but its not much different from previous and its not like its bright yellow with stripes.

They really just need to stop messing with the UI. Can anyone say its helped get them more users any other time in the past? Probably not. Certainly nothing worth it. Yet they are probably told its necessary.
                      Last edited by ix900; 05 June 2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X