KDE Plasma 5.22 Faster For NVIDIA + Wayland, More Crash Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    shouldn't devs wait for nvidia driver that support wayland or was that one already release?
    KDE did originally do that. nVidia wrote and contributed the EGLStreams support.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

KDE did originally do that. nVidia wrote and contributed the EGLStreams support.
      As far as i can tell, David Edmundson isn't an NV employee? So without belitteling his efforts, it's a shame that nv did find someone to do their work for them :/

Besides that i'm looking forward to KCommandBar a lot ^^

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
        And KMagnifier still doesn't work under WL.
        Bug report or it didn't happen.
        #UnofficialPhoronixRulesLOL

Comment

This reliance on meta keys that most people don't have is disconcerting. What was wrong with just hitting the PrtScn button?

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Lack of animated app launch feedback is very close to being finished and should be available in Plasma 5.23. The hard part was writing a Wayland protocol to govern app launch feedback and cross-app activation (e.g. bringing forward a web browser window when a link is clicked in on another app) because previously there was no such standardized protocol. Years ago the GNOME folks wrote their own custom thing which did not work for anyone else, but in KDE we wanted to be good citizens and make a spec that anyone can follow. So we did and it was accepted and merged recently; see https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/50. Now that this is an official thing, we are working on porting our own software to use it. This work is in progress and the first pieces have been merged already! Exciting times.
            This is great news, I knew about the issues dealing with these things on the Wayland side, the XFCE team also had the same problem, but I guess they preferred to wait for KDE work.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
              As far as i can tell, David Edmundson isn't an NV employee? So without belitteling his efforts, it's a shame that nv did find someone to do their work for them :/
              I could be mistaken, but that's how I remember it. KWin people like Martin Flöser being adamant that they wouldn't produce or maintain a backend for a single vendor's closed-source driver, eventually followed by reporting that said that nVidia had successfully contributed an EGLStreams backend.

Is it possible they paid him to do it as a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                shouldn't devs wait for nvidia driver that support wayland or was that one already release?
                Why should he wait on Nvidia? By now it should be clear to everyone, that what is in the kernel tree is tolerated and in case of problems one expects or solves them, but when the problem is not part of the kernel, you cannot think that the developers are waiting for the comforts of Nvidia or anyone else who doesn't produce open source software.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  This reliance on meta keys that most people don't have is disconcerting. What was wrong with just hitting the PrtScn button?
                  That does work to open the full screen capture app. They added a direct shortcut for a common case.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I could be mistaken, but that's how I remember it. KWin people like Martin Flöser being adamant that they wouldn't produce or maintain a backend for a single vendor's closed-source driver, eventually followed by reporting that said that nVidia had successfully contributed an EGLStreams backend.

Is it possible they paid him to do it as a contractor?
                    IIRC Martin's position was that he wouldn't do the work, but he wouldn't reject the work if the NVIDIA people did it and submitted it. They did, and we accepted it. It was a few years ago at this point.

David Edmundson is not an Nvidia employee; he is a Blue Systems employee, and a colleague of mine (I work at BS too).

Comment

Charlie68 i was refering to this. i've just checked and it seems that is not released yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X