Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.22 Faster For NVIDIA + Wayland, More Crash Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.22 Faster For NVIDIA + Wayland, More Crash Fixes

KDE developers are wrapping up May with more performance optimizations and bug fixes in tow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And KMagnifier still doesn't work under WL.

Comment

Lately I'm suffering from the right click & auto action behavior of Qt on Plasma Wayland when moving the mouse just slightly to early to the menu. Uh this bug is annoying :-(

When I played around with OpenWrt in the last days Plasma Wayland was freezing or crashing as well a lot when changing the network, especially if there are some issues with the IP configuration.

But good to see again some Wayland bugs getting fixed this week!

Comment

Small mistake. It's Meta + speaker mute, not Meta + space.

Comment

My KDE progress for the week was an Ubuntu install followed by a Fedora install with some kdesrc-build runs followed by an Arch install and doing some more runs while watching Babylon 5 (first time ever).

With any luck I'll be down to one or two build issues today....actual compile issues and not dependency resolution. I think I have all the rest of the Arch dependencies figured out (and documented). Also been taking notes on the documentation as I'm reading it. Since I use Zsh I noticed one part that was Bash specific. While the tool itself was smart enough to detect the shell and update the correct RC file, someone simply following the instructions might not catch that.

Fedora got on my nerves. Got tired of wondering if I needed the -devel, bin, or both for certain build issues. Plus it was the worst Plasma experience I've had in over 7 years. I did document a bunch of packages I had to install to resolve most of my build issues.

Comment

The work on Wayland is progressing and with each release it improves.
            Personally I often use it on wayland, even if unfortunately there are still some annoyances, nothing serious, but the management in the task manager menus with the right click is still a bit complicated and often overlaps the preview window.
            But the thing that bothered me is the lack of animation when I start task manager application.
            We hope these things are resolved ...
            When I asked for task manager animation, they told me there is no API in Wayland ...

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              The work on Wayland is progressing and with each release it improves.
              Personally I often use it on wayland, even if unfortunately there are still some annoyances, nothing serious, but the management in the task manager menus with the right click is still a bit complicated and often overlaps the preview window.
              But the thing that bothered me is the lack of animation when I start task manager application.
              We hope these things are resolved ...
              When I asked for task manager animation, they told me there is no API in Wayland ...
              Lack of animated app launch feedback is very close to being finished and should be available in Plasma 5.23. The hard part was writing a Wayland protocol to govern app launch feedback and cross-app activation (e.g. bringing forward a web browser window when a link is clicked in on another app) because previously there was no such standardized protocol. Years ago the GNOME folks wrote their own custom thing which did not work for anyone else, but in KDE we wanted to be good citizens and make a spec that anyone can follow. So we did and it was accepted and merged recently; see https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/50. Now that this is an official thing, we are working on porting our own software to use it. This work is in progress and the first pieces have been merged already! Exciting times.

Comment

The Meta + space keyboard shortcut can be used as a "mute microphone" macro should your keyboard lack a dedicated mute microphone button.
                To be honest, I think this is an ill-considered choice. Not as ill-considered as all the Ctrl+… shortcuts I have to disable on a fresh install to keep them from blocking access to various application fuctionality (eg. I have to strip out the Ctrl+F# shortcuts that block access to DOSBox features), but ill-considered to give a binding as major as "single modifier plus spacebar" to such a minor function.

(eg. I've been reassigning "Show KRunner" to Meta+Space or binding a competing tool to it since I came to KDE from Windows in the KDE 3.x era and I was using tools like Launchy on it before that.)

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                Lately I'm suffering from the right click & auto action behavior of Qt on Plasma Wayland when moving the mouse just slightly to early to the menu. Uh this bug is annoying :-(
                The bug is the lack of an option to opt out of it.

The behaviour itself is a feature... macOS-style menu interaction... and making it conditional by default like that actually lured me into using and preferring it because it requires coordinating fewer muscle movements to achieve the same thing.

Comment

Hmm. No links in that unapproved message.

Comment

shouldn't devs wait for nvidia driver that support wayland or was that one already release?

Comment

Working...
                    X