X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't know why you'd think my cat Spark Plug would help in Chrome benchmarks either. He's much better with compression.

Is this a deb or rpm package?

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by ZFKerr View Post
    Chrome don't works on Wayland natively, but Firefox works. Chrome Wayland support currently work-in-progress, but only with Ozone abstraction layer, that by the way have dozens of issues, during Firefox works on Wayland full natively and I don't see any issues. On benchmarks Chrome works about 2x faster, but on practice I don't see it during every day web browsing. I used Chrome during many years, but switched to Firefox for native Wayland support.
    My experience with Chrome+Ozone is fine. Not great, but fine. I don't like that it uses the system borders and changes the mouse pointer on me but that's about the worst of it.

You are right that in real-world usage, the performance difference hardly ever matters.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    Sparkplug should not make much of a difference in benchmarks as those mostly always should advance to Turbofan quite quickly, the big difference will be in actual websites that does not run the same JavaScript over and over and is similar to Firefoxs baseline compiler. When measuring browsers it's important to remember that they have very different performance characteristics over different workloads and that JavaScript heavy benchmarks have very little in common with normal browsing.
    The tests in this scenario are not limited to script performance, and the websites that people spend the most time on these days are web applications, which actually do benefit from JavaScript execution performance and memory efficiency by a huge margin.

The more silly excuses that people make for firefox, the slower it will be.

The one component that Firefox excels with generally, is their brand new CSS system, but the Chrome developers would never argue that top line stylesheet performance doesn't matter, they would think about how to match it instead.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

I see depression not compression, clearly the cat has been forced to use windows by it's IT department.
    Looks more like Sparkplug is trying to think outside the box, but not quite making it.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied

I don't know why you'd think my cat Spark Plug would help in Chrome benchmarks either. He's much better with compression.

I see depression not compression, clearly the cat has been forced to use windows by it's IT department.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    "saves over 17 years of CPU time daily"

Yeah, and at the same time you lose millennia while decoding videos on those CPUs. Any crappy PC or even portables like the PSP could decode YouTube on hardware back in early 2000s, then came google and changed codecs to some crappy vp8, and on Linux hw decoding with chrome(ium) still doesn't work at all.
    Yes, the world would have been so much better if it was still on MPEG in 2021

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    replied

This photo leaves room for doubt regarding the recent claims of Sparkplug's impressive speed.

Leave a comment:

• discordian
    replied
    "saves over 17 years of CPU time daily"

Yeah, and at the same time you lose millennia while decoding videos on those CPUs. Any crappy PC or even portables like the PSP could decode YouTube on hardware back in early 2000s, then came google and changed codecs to some crappy vp8, and on Linux hw decoding with chrome(ium) still doesn't work at all.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    Sparkplug should not make much of a difference in benchmarks as those mostly always should advance to Turbofan quite quickly, the big difference will be in actual websites that does not run the same JavaScript over and over and is similar to Firefoxs baseline compiler. When measuring browsers it's important to remember that they have very different performance characteristics over different workloads and that JavaScript heavy benchmarks have very little in common with normal browsing.

Leave a comment:

• ZFKerr
    replied
    Chrome don't works on Wayland natively, but Firefox works. Chrome Wayland support currently work-in-progress, but only with Ozone abstraction layer, that by the way have dozens of issues, during Firefox works on Wayland full natively and I don't see any issues. On benchmarks Chrome works about 2x faster, but on practice I don't see it during every day web browsing. I used Chrome during many years, but switched to Firefox for native Wayland support.
    Last edited by ZFKerr; 28 May 2021, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X