X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ferry View Post

Nope, that's wrong. Other performance matters.

On my laptop I have 4GB ram (and no swap), so I care about the number of tabs I can open. And with Chromium that's a hell of a lot less then with Firefox. With Chrome my system will lockup in no time (not even mouse movement) forcing me to reboot.

Also, it's on battery. So I care who will allow longest browsing without recharge.

Unfortunately, none of this is tested.
    Funny. I can open a ton more apps in Vivaldi than in Chrome. X11, 8 GB of RAM, laptop. Firefox will lock up after a number of tabs or starts crashing tabs. Also reproduced on a clean profile.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Is this a deb or rpm package?
    It's a cli tool (cat-licking interface).
    Last edited by Vistaus; 29 May 2021, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ZFKerr View Post
    Chrome don't works on Wayland natively, but Firefox works. Chrome Wayland support currently work-in-progress, but only with Ozone abstraction layer, that by the way have dozens of issues, during Firefox works on Wayland full natively and I don't see any issues. On benchmarks Chrome works about 2x faster, but on practice I don't see it during every day web browsing. I used Chrome during many years, but switched to Firefox for native Wayland support.
    Maybe not so much difference on Wayland, but on X11, Chromium-based browsers are way faster for me than Firefox. Clean profile and everything.

Leave a comment:

• frackeverything
    replied
    [QUOTE=discordian;n1258759]
    Yeah, and at the same time you lose millennia while decoding videos on those CPUs. Any crappy PC or even portables like the PSP could decode YouTube on hardware back in early 2000s, then came google and changed codecs to some crappy vp8 .../QUOTE]

Lmao vp9 is objectively superior to h264 and mpeg stuff in every single way. Not to mention open source and patent troll free. Classic case of old man yelling at the sky.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Just a guess:

Interesting. Would be interesting to know how many people have benefited from that amount of financial resoruces and how many others have lost the same amount of financial means.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by paulpach View Post
    > "saves over 17 years of CPU time daily"

What does that even mean? The most you can save a day is 24 hours. where are the other 16 years and 364 days coming from?
    5.5 seconds of CPU time per day, times 100 million users. Or whatever numbers they are plugging in.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Firefox cannot compete with Chrome. Why is it so mediocre?
    Just a wild guess:

In the most recently reported fiscal year, Google's revenue amounted to 181.69 billion US dollars.
    "In CY ((calendar year)) 2019, Mozilla Corporation generated $465M from royalties, subscriptions and advertising revenue, excluding one-time litigation settlement revenue,"
    Last edited by smitty3268; 28 May 2021, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Firefox cannot compete with Chrome. Why is it so mediocre?

Leave a comment:

• paulpach
    replied
    > "saves over 17 years of CPU time daily"

What does that even mean? The most you can save a day is 24 hours. where are the other 16 years and 364 days coming from?

Leave a comment:

• cynical
    replied
    Originally posted by ZFKerr View Post
    Chrome don't works on Wayland natively, but Firefox works. Chrome Wayland support currently work-in-progress, but only with Ozone abstraction layer, that by the way have dozens of issues, during Firefox works on Wayland full natively and I don't see any issues. On benchmarks Chrome works about 2x faster, but on practice I don't see it during every day web browsing. I used Chrome during many years, but switched to Firefox for native Wayland support.
    Though they hide it behind feature flags, Firefox's hardware acceleration for video also works well. I'm running it natively under Wayland and decoding vp9 video with Firefox using 6% cpu. It's been a great experience so it's a bit of a shame not to have it out of the box.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X