No announcement yet.

GNOME 40's Shell Theme Code Is Rather Expensive But Optimization Pursued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it very, very ironic and funny that the other day my counterargument to "KDE always has a lot of bug fixes in the news" was "And GNOME always has a lot of performance fixes in the news" and now we've had both kinds of articles in the news in such a short time of one another. If you're me that's hilarious.

Both performance and bug fixes are good things we should be happy for and Alexmitter did a great job countering most all y'all's arguments.

Comment

gnome-shell
      Initial release April 6, 2011; 10 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by awesz View Post
        gnome-shell
        The Linux kernel is much older and still gets performance and bug fixes. What's your point?

Comment

gnome-shell
          Mozilla Thunderbird is even older and gets less bug fixes and optimizations, so it's better?

Comment

Most GNOME image damage is due to the complete disregard of the users by the project management. They're more interested GNOME being familiar to users of Mac OS and Windows, than their actual user base.

For me, I was finally fairly happy with GNOME3.38 after many questionable regressions in utility and configurablity from GNOME2, only to feel GNOME40 is the next shoe to drop. I've been giving it a go for a few weeks, but I just don't like the new GNOME shell, and particularly really liked the vertical virtual desktops of GNOME3. I find myself not using the horizontal desktops.

What's up with that version number, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The Linux kernel is much older and still gets performance and bug fixes. What's your point?
              Apples to oranges comparison.

Comment

Linux kernel this, MozCo Thunderbird that, neither of them had long-lasting performance regressions between major releases.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                  I had to uninstall file-roller and deal with archives the commandline way for several weeks. Reason being that opening any archive with file-roller will (almost always) send the gnome 3.38 desktop in a deathspin, flooding the log with javascript errors. The systems so bogged down I cant even switch to a VT.
                  Drag and dropping files sometimes kills all nautilus instances, sometimes the target (gnome-terminal for me).

I sometimes miss the slow versions (not that the new ones are fast, just less horrible slow) that only had nautilus crash when you searched in a directory that is in heavy use.

Maybe this year I'll buy some Apple PC/Laptop (hate the company, never bought anything from them), and be done with that crap.
                  Wouldn't be simpler just to switch to other distro or desktop environment?

Comment

Linux kernel this, MozCo Thunderbird that, neither of them had long-lasting performance regressions between major releases.
                    I hope you're aware enough that you posted that comment on the website of the person who has done numerous benchmarks and uncovered enough Linux kernel performance regressions that the Linux Foundation should contract out performance regression testing to him. Basically, that's only true on Linux because of Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                      Considering that Shell40 is noticeable faster/more fluent on all of my systems compared to 3.38, I wonder how this is possible.
                      Are you sure it's better than 3.38.4+ ? It got a lot of fixes after the .0 release.

Comment

Working...
                      X