GNOME Human Interface Guidelines Being Updated For GTK4, Other Modern Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Can you explain that to me? You mean you think you can't drag stuff because they have controls? That's been done on Ubuntu in Unity for a decade.
    Having the window control buttons (minimize, maximize and close) on the right side of the titlebar is enough for me.
    I don't anything else to be put on the title so I waste my time making sure I don't click on something when I just want to drag the windows.
    Some GTK programs kinda like to put menus or tabs in the titlebar for this desperation of virtual space.
    I have enough vertical space on my 1080p and 2160p monitors and I don't want anything crowded in the titlebar.

If for you works, then ok, good for you, but I want something like on its own line, if a menu or tabs are need, like in Windows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Having the window control buttons (minimize, maximize and close) on the right side of the titlebar is enough for me.
      I don't anything else to be put on the title so I waste my time making sure I don't click on something when I just want to drag the windows.
      But you have to click and drag in order to move the window anyway, right? You don't have to make sure you don't click on something.

Comment

• Originally posted by cynical View Post
        [...]
        The point is not whether it is possible to develop convergence-based apps. My point is that people SHOULDN'T develop convergence-based apps despite the fact that (unfortunately) it's possible. GIMP might technically work on a mobile device, but it wouldn't be usable and would serve no purpose as a photo editor.

Your example with the file manager is a perfect case in point. Yes, it's very easy to do it. And yes, the result will unavoidably be garbage. Why? Because the main difference because desktop and mobile applications is not the size of the screen, it's the WORKFLOWS. There are two ways to develop a GUI-based application, the bad one and the right one. The bad one consists in designing the application logic from a programmer's point of view and then bolt one or several UI front-ends on top of it. That was typical of the old-style *nix applications with "GUI" interfaces from the Xaw/Motif era. The correct way is to design the UI first around the user's workflows and intuitions AND THEN write the code to make exactly that happen. Of course, if you change the UI, your code will need to be rewritten AND THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE. That's what Apple does. Now, which is a better presentation software from a UI point of view - Tk SlideDraw, or Keynote?

Incidentally, the "converged" file manager was exactly what Canonical was working on while they still aimed for Mir and Unity 8. They never got close to having a working prototype that would feel remotely acceptable as a desktop file manager. In fact IIRC what they had could never even open more than one window.

Comment

Working...
        X