KDE Introduces KCommandBar For HUD-Style Popups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Neon Developer works great as a dev platform, but is less ideal as a daily driver OS. openSUSE Tumbleweed works really well for both. I used it for several years, but switched to Fedora a few days ago for unrelated reasons. So far it's been solid too. A lot of KDE devs use basic Arch. I don't recommend Manjaro.

I'd be happy to help you overcome whatever build problems you're getting stuck on, but this is not really the right venue; check out https://community.kde.org/Get_Involv..._with_the_team. If after you're done, you want to update the relevant wiki page (https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/development), please feel free.
    Thanks for the reply.

Not gonna lie, I always get chuckle when I read "Arch, Antergos, Manjaro" on the dependencies page. One of these three does not belong; doesn't exist. That could probably be changed to something like "Arch and Arch-based distributions". I used to like and recommend Manjaro but my experience with them over the long term is snapshots of Arch sound better in theory than they work in practice.

I was hesitant to ask because we've had a similar discussion in the past and I didn't want you to think I was the boy who cried wolf. Due to the venue and level of appropriateness I didn't want to ask more than a distribution suggestion. I didn't think I was the only one in a venue full of Linux enthusiasts and developers with a curiosity about what distributions KDE developers use and would recommend.

Linux Distributions for $1000

What are the three distributions I'd have the hardest time picking between?

Fedora, Tumbleweed, and Arch. I'm most comfortable with Arch but all three have good merit and reason for why I like them. What a toughie.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      KDE should end the WM dictatorship (SSD only ) and start listening to the users, devs and designers who request better decorations (SSD+CSD)
      GNOME would need to adopt SSD+CSD as well as them, KDE, and more would have to agree upon something like my idea below.

My idea for a solution is Apps can do what they want but the WM should be able to push down the Header Bar to allow for extra SSD controls if the user needs them via a key combo or dynamically like a taskbar and mouse (I have reservations about that due to the potential for misclicking things). Apps should be designed to expect to lose 50 pixels from being pushed down and the WM should be expected to be able to add in view movement bars. It seems really odd for every single app to have to implement things like "move to desktop X", "sticky here", "roll up", "stay above other windows", "stay behind other windows", and more. Those all sound like functions of a Window Manager and Environment...maybe even something that should be a low-level Wayland standard. Like, the lowest level function of a Wayland Window is simply an empty box where F1 slides in some Window Manager controls if that makes sense. I think that would solve a lot of problems a lot of different camps have.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        That's pretty neat and being able to search what a program can do like that looks to be very damn useful. The only thing I didn't catch was the key combo to fire it up.
        In KATE you can use Ctrl+Alt+I and you'll get to Open Command Bar.
        In Krita - where it would be extremelly useful Ctrl+Alt+I is calling something else... so it's not working there afaict

There is an addon for krunner (krunner-appmenu) that i thought would enable it to do the same thing as the "command bar" - which would be awesome...
        (Update: i have figured it out: you have to enable global menu by placing it on the window titlebar - or somewhere else... and this way krunner is able to get the menu itens and perform the search... still it would be great if we could make this search from krunner without having to enable the globalmenu thing...)

ngraham is there any plans to have this running on krunner as well - i mean being able to search some appplication feature/action from krunner?
        Last edited by Mavman; 24 May 2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

That looks awesome! Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            KDE should end the WM dictatorship (SSD only ) and start listening to the users, devs and designers who request better decorations (SSD+CSD)
            GNOME should end the WM dictatorship (CSD only on Wayland) and start listening to the users, devs and designers who request better decorations (SSD+CSD)

Comment

Working...
            X