Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.28 Released With More PulseAudio Modules Implemented

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.28 Released With More PulseAudio Modules Implemented

PipeWire continues to be on an upward trajectory for managing Linux audio/video streams and becoming a viable replacement now to PulseAudio and JACK on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds nice! (Pun intended)

I'll have to give it a spin at some point here. Does anyone here happen to known the easiest way to try it out on Ubuntu 21.04?

Comment

module-ladspa-sink, module-ladspa-source
      Nice. IIRC, that's what's needed to provide a toggle for OS-level automatic gain control, so that, when you're multitasking and just want to listen to things in the background, you don't have to keep fiddling with the volume as you switch between various YouTube videos, local videos in something like MPV, audio files in your music player, or any other playlist that doesn't have consistent volume levels.

(Yeah, I know dynamic range compression completely and utterly ruined things like the rendition of the Star Trek: The Next Generation theme in the end credits of Insurrection, but it's great for podcasts and documentary videos and the like.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 20 May 2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

I dont know if it will replace JACK but at the moment without Jack you cant create any music.
        How you will assign/map midi instruments without Jack???

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Nice. IIRC, that's what's needed to provide a toggle for OS-level automatic gain control, so that, when you're multitasking and just want to listen to things in the background, you don't have to keep fiddling with the volume as you switch between various YouTube videos, local videos in something like MPV, audio files in your music player, or any other playlist that doesn't have consistent volume levels.

(Yeah, I know dynamic range compression completely and utterly ruined things like the rendition of the Star Trek: The Next Generation theme in the end credits of Insurrection, but it's great for podcasts and documentary videos and the like.)
          Or you can just use PulseEffects.

Comment

With fedora 33 and older versions audio devices that were connected to my laptop or desktop after reboot were unplugged with volume level being reseted. On occasion, audio device was plugged in after reboot. With fedora 34 it just works.

Without any device connected I could adjust volume of output to nowhere, now this ridiculous option is gone.

Really welcomed changes, pipewire is another great thing that makes fedora the first class desktop among linux distributions. My praises goes to pipewire development team.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post
              I dont know if it will replace JACK but at the moment without Jack you cant create any music.
              As far as I am aware, the reason PipeWire "replaces" Jack and PulseAudio because you have Jack or PulseAudio placed in Pipewire, most distros adds this for PipeWire as extra packages. But going with this article, it sounds like not all modules on respective Jack or PulseAudio are in place yet.

For me right now, all those installed PipeWire and the extra (so it looks like I have PulseAudio and Jack with PipeWire) I can run anything I need, the question is, will your midi instruments work, only way to find out is to test (when you have time of course).

Comment

? after all pipewire is everything we have in the same thing?

Comment

last I checked, pipe wire is not in a suitable state to replace jack. instability, quirkiness, most of it is known issues. just needs time to hammer away at it to refine it

Comment

Jack is the server (the daemon in Linux speak), not the GUI tools you use to work with it. Those same tools will (and already do) work exactly the same, that's why Pipewire is called an "in place" replacement of Jack (and also Pulseaudio), it means that when you switch out Jack for Pipewire, everything will work exactly the same as before as far as you, the user, is concerned. All the changes are behind the scenes.

Comment

Working...
                    X