Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Making Strides On Improved Linux Stability Thanks To Better Crash Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Making Strides On Improved Linux Stability Thanks To Better Crash Reports

Phoronix: Firefox Making Strides On Improved Linux Stability Thanks To Better Crash Reports

Mozilla detailed today how their year-long effort so far aiming to improve the stability of the Firefox web browser on Linux is paying off...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a lot bad things to say about firefox, but crushing isn't one of them.

I have it doing weeks worth of uptime with dozens of open tabs and it keeps ticking.

Comment

I don't think I have had a crash in 7 or 8 years and I live on the leading edge. But I must say I sure wish they would figure what is wrong with their history delete. One minute per entry? Try to delete all your Google history and your desktop is unusable for a day? Even with an NVME and modern creator level system. Come on.

Comment

Firefox doesn't constantly crash for me either, but it does happen. At worst it crashed GDM, at minimum just the tab. My father on an Nvidia gets GDM crashed with video on Firefox (most of the times), thus have it hard using Wayland. Me using AMD has a more stable day to day experience, with Wayland.

Comment

This is HUGE news but sad that it took this long to get something like this working on the Linux side. Could have helped Android years ago probably. Still, Rust strikes again and good to see Nicholas Nethercote (who got poached by Apple) had a hand in this. That dude single-handedly made FF and Rust better with all the Rust contribs he'd done the past few years (https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/). This bodes well for distros too. Let's hope they kick some funding Mozilla's way for finding and then fixing crap THEY break. We all get a better experience as a byproduct.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
            I don't think I have had a crash in 7 or 8 years and I live on the leading edge. But I must say I sure wish they would figure what is wrong with their history delete. One minute per entry? Try to delete all your Google history and your desktop is unusable for a day? Even with an NVME and modern creator level system. Come on.
            Did you ever report this issue to Mozilla Bugzilla? Next time, do a CTRL-SHIFT-J and see if anything in Error Console is afoot.

Comment

Firefox Wayland used to crash a lot, now at Firefox 88.0.1 its rock solid

Comment

i would like to see some sort of analysis which distribution does the worst job in packaging ff

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  I think they export the list as json and compress with lz4 after every delete operation. Then they import, decompress lz4, deserialize json, clear the GUI and redraw the GUI after each insertion. Does anyone have any idea how to do it more efficiently?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I think they export the list as json and compress with lz4 after every delete operation. Then they import, decompress lz4, deserialize json, clear the GUI and redraw the GUI after each insertion. Does anyone have any idea how to do it more efficiently?
                    Not sure if I'm missing something but if I open the "View all History" tab I can then select multiple rows and hit delete and they are all deleted in less than a second.

Comment

Working...
                    X