Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Making Strides On Improved Linux Stability Thanks To Better Crash Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andreano View Post

Exactly the symptom of running out of memory if you don't have swap (swap makes it more gradual, so you have a chance to notice before it freezes completely). The OOM killer may work in theory, but it takes an eternity in cases like this (at least more than a weekend, I have experienced on several occasions). Enable zram if you still haven't.
    Try nohang https://github.com/hakavlad/nohang
    It works perfectly for me. Rather than hanging it closes the tab abusing your memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      Firefox is much better now than a few years ago then it crashed rather often, i remember that alibaba.com used to hang firefox back then.
      But with a lot of tabs open over a long time it sometimes hangs and takes everything with it i can't even move the mouse and i need to reboot.
      Check Firefox processes on your system monitor. Here "WebExtensions" sometimes has a memory leak because of the Livemarks extension I use. Disabling the extension makes memory consumption normal again.

Comment

Originally posted by wujj123456 View Post

Have you tried selecting lots of rows, like at least hundreds? From my experience, the time it takes to delete entries scales with number of entries I try to delete, perhaps non-linearly. I had to select a few pages at a time or it just freezes for a long long time. At least if I am patient, when it eventually comes back the entries were indeed deleted.
        I didn't but then again the claim was one entry per minute so I just tested it out to see how it worked for me, I normally never delete history.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          Well, maybe some of you folks are lucky. I only use Firefox for webpage testing because I just don't like it in general; but I have experienced two tab crashes and one whole browser crash over the past year with what must be less than five hours of cumulative use. I looked at the dumps for all of them and one of them I can say probably had to do with a library, but otherwise...

In any event, kudos to the guys at Mozilla getting this figured out, hope the Linux platform starts feeling less like a second class citizen over time.
          Me too. I mean: I'm not a webpage tester, but I do use FF as one of my two backup browsers. And the very few times I open FF, it works stable 8/10 times, but 2/10 times the browser crashes. And this is with a clean Firefox ESR on Debian Stable, btw.
          Last edited by Vistaus; 20 May 2021, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Firefox has been incredibly stable for me on Linux and on Windows. I run it in Wayland mode on Ubuntu 20.04 and Fedora 34. I run Firefox Nightly on my Windows 10 machines.

The only reason I ever have to run Chrome these days is to play an HDR video on Windows.

Comment

Console is not linking to eval code even with debug on again :/

Comment

This is very good, and I have been running Firefox 89 beta a week or so now and that runs really well on Ubuntu 21.04. Good news already to have FF running like a champ on the OS I love to use.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

I didn't but then again the claim was one entry per minute so I just tested it out to see how it worked for me, I normally never delete history.
                  If the behavior is non-linear, it can become really slow for those deleting 10-100k entries at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X