Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox Making Strides On Improved Linux Stability Thanks To Better Crash Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox is much better now than a few years ago then it crashed rather often, i remember that alibaba.com used to hang firefox back then.
    But with a lot of tabs open over a long time it sometimes hangs and takes everything with it i can't even move the mouse and i need to reboot.

Comment

Well, maybe some of you folks are lucky. I only use Firefox for webpage testing because I just don't like it in general; but I have experienced two tab crashes and one whole browser crash over the past year with what must be less than five hours of cumulative use. I looked at the dumps for all of them and one of them I can say probably had to do with a library, but otherwise...

In any event, kudos to the guys at Mozilla getting this figured out, hope the Linux platform starts feeling less like a second class citizen over time.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        I think they export the list as json and compress with lz4 after every delete operation. Then they import, decompress lz4, deserialize json, clear the GUI and redraw the GUI after each insertion. Does anyone have any idea how to do it more efficiently?
        Probably an append-only log with saved aggregates would work better. They can immediately sync the operation to disk, and then just save the aggregate over the log when you close the window (or even less often). If they wanted the log compressed as well, I think lz4 is append-safe? (I know zstd is, I use it for commit logs at work).

Comment

Here Firefox is freezing every time I left it open to play a game, on X11 at least. On my case, at least I'm not using it stock tough, with multiple about:config mods to enable hardware accel and a bunch of extensions running.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            with a lot of tabs open over a long time, it sometimes hangs and takes everything with it. I can't even move the mouse and i need to reboot.
            Exactly the symptom of running out of memory if you don't have swap (swap makes it more gradual, so you have a chance to notice before it freezes completely). The OOM killer may work in theory, but it takes an eternity in cases like this (at least more than a weekend, I have experienced on several occasions). Enable zram if you still haven't.
            Last edited by andreano; 19 May 2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              I don't think I have had a crash in 7 or 8 years and I live on the leading edge. But I must say I sure wish they would figure what is wrong with their history delete. One minute per entry? Try to delete all your Google history and your desktop is unusable for a day? Even with an NVME and modern creator level system. Come on.
              Just the other day it crashed with no web page loaded! lol. Never went one year without crashes. You must not be using the same browser.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Not sure if I'm missing something but if I open the "View all History" tab I can then select multiple rows and hit delete and they are all deleted in less than a second.
                Have you tried selecting lots of rows, like at least hundreds? From my experience, the time it takes to delete entries scales with number of entries I try to delete, perhaps non-linearly. I had to select a few pages at a time or it just freezes for a long long time. At least if I am patient, when it eventually comes back the entries were indeed deleted.

Comment

I must be doing something wrong?

As a heavy user of Firefox I regulary have at least 4 to 8 windows open over multiple virtual desktops, normally with a total of 20 to 80 open tabs, depending on my tasks and workload. Having Firefox opened as soon as the machine has booted until it is restarting for installed updates, so several days to weeks. Several suspends-to-RAMs and back every day. Youtube, WebGL, image and script-heavy sites - neither Firefox nor any tab has crashed on me.

Why? I don't know.
                  Is it the configuration from Debian?
                  Is it because of all my Ad-blockers (uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Pricavy Badger and Cookie AutoDelete) which filter out the most mischievous payloads?

If I could, I would help you guys but I simply have no experience with fixes/workarounds here...

Comment

Originally posted by wujj123456 View Post

Have you tried selecting lots of rows, like at least hundreds? From my experience, the time it takes to delete entries scales with number of entries I try to delete, perhaps non-linearly. I had to select a few pages at a time or it just freezes for a long long time. At least if I am patient, when it eventually comes back the entries were indeed deleted.
                    I have tried this and it's slow as hell. I do it because i want my history deleted but i don't want my tabs's back history deleted, which happens if you do Ctrl + Shift + Del.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post

Exactly the symptom of running out of memory if you don't have swap (swap makes it more gradual, so you have a chance to notice before it freezes completely). The OOM killer may work in theory, but it takes an eternity in cases like this (at least more than a weekend, I have experienced on several occasions). Enable zram if you still haven't.
                      Try nohang https://github.com/hakavlad/nohang
                      It works perfectly for me. Rather than hanging it closes the tab abusing your memory.

Comment

Working...
                      X