The Story Of PipeWire & How It's Getting Ready To Handle Linux Audio + Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    Does pipewire have an application for audio control that can control both consumer and professional yet?
    Both the Pulse and Jack control application just work.

Comment

Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post

Once Fedora migrates away from the shitty Bugzilla, I guess more people will do so. Migrating to Gitlab increased useful bug reports for projects like Debian significantly.
      They can literally open the Pagure issue tracker (just like anything else in the Fedora infrastructure) but they chose the crime that's called Bugzilla

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Fedora's problems with "user reluctance" have absolutely nothing to do with the tools involved. 100% of the reason why most people have given up filing bugs against ANY piece of the RedHat empire is how those bug reports are (not) handled by the team responsible for them: ignored for 3 years, then auto-closed as "this release is no longer supported".
        Too true. So many of their bug reports end that way. Definitely won't be solved by switching tools.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Presidente View Post
          Also I hear from friends, that bluetooth is still very troublesome ...
          This would be my complaint. The last time I tried it a month ago on openSUSE Tumbleweed audio streams wouldn't switch automatically to the connected Bluetooth device:
          Environment: Bluetooth Radio: AX200 Bluetooth Headset: Bose QC 35 Desktop Environment: swaywm Distribution: Arch Linux Versions

Comment

I switched to PipeWire just to see how far it has come and have not noticed any issues whatsoever. On the other hand I didn't notice any improvements either, but I don't do anything fancy audio-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post

Once Fedora migrates away from the shitty Bugzilla, I guess more people will do so. Migrating to Gitlab increased useful bug reports for projects like Debian significantly.
              Switch Fedora to kernel and good luck telling them. You will need a solid rationale to convince either to move away to Bugzilla in favour of another bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Both the Pulse and Jack control application just work.
                Thats not what I mean, I am familiar that they work, what I want is an application that can seamlessly control both, right now, its jank all around. It works, but when you try to mesh the two it can be... annoying. like piping pulse audio output into jack or vice versa, it is possible, but right now, its annoying. clunky and not a great time.

Comment

PipeWire sounds great, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
                  Our band may be just another Punk Garage Band, but we still need professional quality recording equipment to record our professional quality sound equipment on. That's why we don't use linux - we can't spend all day fiddling with the computer when were doing a practice. Most of my mates use Apple because of GarageBand software, and now I'm sold on it. Regardless of how much I may like linux, my next computer is an Apple, because anything else just holds is back.

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
                    PipeWire sounds great, but I'm not holding my breath on it.
                    Our band may be just another Punk Garage Band, but we still need professional quality recording equipment to record our professional quality sound equipment on. That's why we don't use linux - we can't spend all day fiddling with the computer when were doing a practice. Most of my mates use Apple because of GarageBand software, and now I'm sold on it. Regardless of how much I may like linux, my next computer is an Apple, because anything else just holds is back.
                    It has nothing to do with the operating system, the extent of your problem seems to be productivity, which is a fine reason, but that's not a flaw of linux. Jack software is already more than mature enough for serious audio production. the bricks and mortar has already been laid, but that's it.

the only real issue audio production has on linux is the empty ecosystem. This is the only major hangup for audio production left. So many applications, plugins etc. will not be ported to linux anytime soon.

Setting up an linux audio workstation does require a bit more work than mac, but not much, and thats only if you need many programs, plugins, and whatever to all talk to eachother, if not, then a basic audio setup on linux is fairly painless now.

Comment

I've been running the guitarix effects stack on F34 since a little after the beta came out. It was easy to select the inputs from my guitar adapter and it's been working quite well. The latency is quite acceptable and the output sound is pretty well in sync with my guitar playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X