Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Continues Pushing More Wayland Fixes Into Plasma 5.22

Phoronix: KDE Continues Pushing More Wayland Fixes Into Plasma 5.22

While the Plasma 5.22 beta was released this week, it's not game over yet for still getting more fixes into this next KDE desktop release, especially as it concerns their maturing Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- The Dolphin file manager has adopted the KHamburgerMenu.
    Really? Nooooo.

What’s really cool is that it responds to your customizations. For example, because I’ve added the “Add New…” action to my toolbar, it isn’t in the hamburger menu. But I’ve removed the “Filter…” action, so it goes into the hamburger menu.
    Wait. That is really cool. Very nice compromise. That means like I can create a nice toolbar containing what I need with an overflow menu for the rest. Instead of everything being there it's just the stuff I don't really use that often -- That's how a HamburgerMenu should work. Very cool, indeed.

This is one of those times you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Wait. That is really cool. Very nice compromise. That means like I can create a nice toolbar containing what I need with an overflow menu for the rest. Instead of everything being there it's just the stuff I don't really use that often -- That's how a HamburgerMenu should work. Very cool, indeed.

This is one of those times you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
      Thank you for the kind words. A lot of thought was put into this UI component, indeed. We really did not want it to be a "use the app in baby mode" thing. Nothing has been removed; it actually exposes *more* actions than the old custom hamburger menu did, but they're simply organized better and are more contextually aware. I think people will actually really come to like it.

Comment

I wonder if any work is still being done for plasmaBigscreen, I really want it to do a good job

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Hamburgers today. CSD tomorrow.
          Uhh, no. At least for standalone movable/resizable windows, over my dead body. However we already have CSDs for our system tray applets because they don't suffer any of the big disadvantage of CSDs (nowhere to drag the window from without losing click+drag behavior for widgets; nowhere to put a menubar; no window-manager-provided close button you can click when it's frozen; not customizable). So far people have liked our System Tray CSDs quite a bit because we took care to only implement the concept where it actually made sense, rather than trying to shoe-horn everything into the same paradigm.
          Last edited by ngraham; 15 May 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Uhh, no. At least for standalone movable/resizable windows, over my dead body. However we already have CSDs for our system tray applets because they don't suffer any of the big disadvantage of CSDs (nowhere to drag the window from without losing click+drag behavior for widgets; nowhere to put a menubar; no window-manager-provided close button you can click when it's frozen; not customizable). So far people have liked our System Tray CSDs quite a bit because we took care to only implement the concept where it actually made sense, rather than trying to shoe-horn everything into the same paradigm.
            Once again, thank you very much for your outstanding commitment to make KDE better day in, day out. Extend it to all KDE developers and hackers.

While I'm still on X, I'm sure the day I will move to Wayland is coming and will be painless.

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post

Once again, thank you very much for your outstanding commitment to make KDE better day in, day out. Extend it to all KDE developers and hackers.

While I'm still on X, I'm sure the day I will move to Wayland is coming and will be painless.

Best regards.
              You're very welcome! We try.

I actually realized that I was wrong: our System Tray now uses DWDs, not CSDs. Which is even more interesting. I'm writing a blog post about it.

Comment

Uhh, no. At least for standalone movable/resizable windows, over my dead body.
                Please keep it that way

P.S. This time Apple seemed to copy the UI from Gnome CSD (in Big Sur), not the usual way around

Comment

You're very welcome! We try.

I actually realized that I was wrong: our System Tray now uses DWDs, not CSDs. Which is even more interesting. I'm writing a blog post about it.
                  The DWD concept is out of mothballs? [insert Yay emote]

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

The DWD concept is out of mothballs? [insert Yay emote]
                    Yup, basically! At least for System Tray applets. The concept really works well there. For apps, not so much.

Again, it's all about using the right tool for the job, not trying to force everything to use the same thing in the name of consistency, even to their detriment.

Comment

Working...
                    X