No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Touch OTA-17 Released - Still Working Toward Ubuntu 20.04 Transition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was curious about running Ubuntu Touch on the "open source" Pinephone. I found out that it doesn't support:
    1. LED
    2. Vibration
    3. Camera
    4. Calls, SMS, MMS
    5. Data connection
    6. Bluetooth
    7. GPS
    8. USB
    Source: https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/device/pinephone/

Can someone explain what the heck? Has Pinephone done such a poor work on actual open source support? Or is that some serious problem with Ubuntu Touch?

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
      I was curious about running Ubuntu Touch on the "open source" Pinephone. I found out that it doesn't support:
      1. LED
      2. Vibration
      3. Camera
      4. Calls, SMS, MMS
      5. Data connection
      6. Bluetooth
      7. GPS
      8. USB

Can someone explain what the heck? Has Pinephone done such a poor work on actual open source support? Or is that some serious problem with Ubuntu Touch?
      The development is slow because it's hard to take care of 200 things at the same time (20.04 LTS migration, support for new android devices, update to new mir, qt, fix bugs, etc). Also it's very hard to find good programmers (paid) that understand how to code for phone devices. The perfect case is Anbox, It's a small team that is receiving a lot of donations and support from the community.

Comment

1. LED
        2. Vibration
        3. Camera
        4. Calls, SMS, MMS
        5. Data connection
        6. Bluetooth
        7. GPS
        8. USB

pinephone was poor and its poor, bq phones many years ago with ubuntu touch worked fine, I use it for almost two years as my phone,no problems after a time battery works well too. the problem was the lake of some apps like whatsapp, most of people here use that not telegram, was a good phone, with a good OS after some upgrades, much better OS than some new make now in open source, it was pro not a amateur

Comment

And that is the reality of Pine. They toss out hardware with a basic or partially or even no software and then do no software support. And they will continue selling a broken hardware implementation, making new ones, without fixing it (rockpro64 pcie). They will even sell hardware kits that have known bad hardware (rockpro64 NAS kit). Their forums are littered with people saying something doesn't work, anyone out there, hello? And then they go silent. I have no idea how much Pine hardware is just gathering dust in a closet somewhere. The armbian folks are saints, but they can't fix broken hardware. That's the story you never really hear about Pine, but should.

Comment

isnt ubuntu leaks a lot of by default. surprised and shocked to find ubuntu on mobile devices also

Comment

I've installed it on a OnePlus 3. It works quite stable but feels limited quite often. So I always fallback lineageos. Some days ago I tried postmarketOS with Plasma-Mobile on a OnePlus 6 and this really feels like a Linux phone where you even can install and upgrade software with a package manager. Overall I'm quite impressed, Plasma-Mobile has improved a lot since I tried it last time and to run almost a mainline 5.12 kernel is a great achievement. Main issue for now is that the battery charges very slow. But other than that it really is a Linux phone OS as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by kingu View Post

First, two major versions behind. OTA-15 came out in 2017. Then, contradition in spectacular fashion.
                Then you equate the performance of that, to that of the whole OS, based on what you make the effort to point out, is an 8-year old phone.
                Not only is it that, it is _one_ device.
                OTA-15 came in December, 2020.

I wasn't talking only about the performance, but the ecosystem as a whole.

I don't know if you know this, but OTA-17 was released just now, and will not even finish rolling out till May 19. The article really was the giveaway here.

---

The idea of shooting down something you haven't tried, based on a flawed analysis to begin with, when it is made by a community of volunteersis retarded.
                I will install it again when they upgrade to 20.04 and I will bring my new analysis so kingu can dissecate it again /s...

Comment

1. LED
                  2. Vibration
                  3. Camera
                  4. Calls, SMS, MMS
                  5. Data connection
                  6. Bluetooth
                  7. GPS
                  8. USB

Pinephone is a device for developers not end users. as such its fairly low priority to work on. I would assume that to be the main factor.

Comment

First, two major versions behind. OTA-15 came out in 2017. Then, contradition in spectacular fashion.
                    Then you equate the performance of that, to that of the whole OS, based on what you make the effort to point out, is an 8-year old phone.
                    Not only is it that, it is _one_ device.
                    He is 2 versions behind. But OTA-15 didn't come in 2017 at all. You are confusing Canonical OTAs updates with UBPorts OTAs updates that started over.
                    OTA-15 was actually released about 5 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

That's a hard pass & heavy naw dawg.

The most interesting thing on UBPorts radar is the Pro1 X

Mostly because it has OOB support for LineageOS and UBPorts.

However, I wouldn't mind a better camera.

Just bought a Sony Xperia 1 II -- apparantly the Gen III will be out in August but the II has some people who have gotten LineageOS to run on it. AFAIK the device is manufactured in Japan which is a nice plus nice too.
                      Actually, the Fxtec Pro-1X is a work in progress depending on a funding campaign.

The one device that you can get right now with Ubuntu Touch pre-installed (choice at purchase) is the VollaPhone.
                      Just as Canonical understood that having devices sold with Ubuntu Touch was the best way to popularize it, UBPorts has been working towards that goal as well, through the PinePhone (they weren't picked though, but are still working closely with Pine64 and Manjaro in general), the VollaPhone and the Pro-1X. That's how they are going to gain traction.

Anyway, beside what was mentioned by Michael, it's worth noting there's a parallel GoFundMe campaign to lay the ground works for anbox (Android apps) support. I handed a small amount as it's essential to run the handiest possible apps. UT now already comes with the anbox installer (not anbox itself) but it needs serious work to make it work properly on a range of (if not all) devices.

Reading the Q&As is really interesting, and it's usually well detailed where they stand on every aspect of their project. Ubuntu Touch is a bit of a juggernaut and they can only do what their time and lives allow them to. Given the feedback they're giving and how they're progressing, I'd say they are doing pretty well (although not perfect either). What they lack to improve even further is more help from the community.

I've been following them since they started, even though I've never used their version (I switched to Android on my BQ Aquaris M10 FHD after Canonical dumped UT).
                      I think it's getting to a point where I might be interested again to try it out. There is still some work to be done under the hood (migration to 20.04 and the anbox endeavor in particular) but it's getting to a progress that makes it exciting all over again.

Comment

Working...
                      X