Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gigi
    replied
    isnt ubuntu leaks a lot of by default. surprised and shocked to find ubuntu on mobile devices also

Leave a comment:

• b1twise
    replied
    Originally posted by Zajec View Post
    Can someone explain what the heck? Has Pinephone done such a poor work on actual open source support? Or is that some serious problem with Ubuntu Touch?
    And that is the reality of Pine. They toss out hardware with a basic or partially or even no software and then do no software support. And they will continue selling a broken hardware implementation, making new ones, without fixing it (rockpro64 pcie). They will even sell hardware kits that have known bad hardware (rockpro64 NAS kit). Their forums are littered with people saying something doesn't work, anyone out there, hello? And then they go silent. I have no idea how much Pine hardware is just gathering dust in a closet somewhere. The armbian folks are saints, but they can't fix broken hardware. That's the story you never really hear about Pine, but should.

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    I was curious about running Ubuntu Touch on the "open source" Pinephone. I found out that it doesn't support:
    1. LED
    2. Vibration
    3. Camera
    4. Calls, SMS, MMS
    5. Data connection
    6. Bluetooth
    7. GPS
    8. USB
    Source: https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/device/pinephone/

Can someone explain what the heck? Has Pinephone done such a poor work on actual open source support? Or is that some serious problem with Ubuntu Touch?
    pinephone was poor and its poor, bq phones many years ago with ubuntu touch worked fine, I use it for almost two years as my phone,no problems after a time battery works well too. the problem was the lake of some apps like whatsapp, most of people here use that not telegram, was a good phone, with a good OS after some upgrades, much better OS than some new make now in open source, it was pro not a amateur

Leave a comment:

• bladerunner
    replied
    I was curious about running Ubuntu Touch on the "open source" Pinephone. I found out that it doesn't support:
    1. LED
    2. Vibration
    3. Camera
    4. Calls, SMS, MMS
    5. Data connection
    6. Bluetooth
    7. GPS
    8. USB

The development is slow because it's hard to take care of 200 things at the same time (20.04 LTS migration, support for new android devices, update to new mir, qt, fix bugs, etc). Also it's very hard to find good programmers (paid) that understand how to code for phone devices. The perfect case is Anbox, It's a small team that is receiving a lot of donations and support from the community.

Leave a comment:

• Zajec
    replied
    1. LED
    2. Vibration
    3. Camera
    4. Calls, SMS, MMS
    5. Data connection
    6. Bluetooth
    7. GPS
    8. USB

Leave a comment:

• kingu
    replied
    Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
    I'm using it on a nexus 5 phone (OTA-15 I think)

>and it has nothing special.

> It's better than an android full of spyware.

the performance on a 8-year phone is disappointing overall.
    First, two major versions behind. OTA-15 came out in 2017. Then, contradition in spectacular fashion.
    Then you equate the performance of that, to that of the whole OS, based on what you make the effort to point out, is an 8-year old phone.
    Not only is it that, it is _one_ device.

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    Yeah I ran it on my old Nexus 5 for a while recently also. I found it was just not as useful overall as LineageOS with (or even without) microg.
    I don't know if you know this, but OTA-17 was released just now, and will not even finish rolling out till May 19. The article really was the giveaway here.

---

The idea of shooting down something you haven't tried, based on a flawed analysis to begin with, when it is made by a community of volunteersis retarded.

Leave a comment:

• ivan.cwb
    replied
    Originally posted by onicsis View Post
    Well then try Android 9 on an 8-year phone.
    I came from an Android 9 in the same phone. To be honest, LineageOS is very usable if you don't have the gapps or facebook apps installed.

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied
    Originally posted by onicsis View Post
    Well then try Android 9 on an 8-year phone.
    I'm running Android 11 on my Nexus 5 now, and honestly it's not bad.

Leave a comment:

• iskra32
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

That's a hard pass & heavy naw dawg.

The most interesting thing on UBPorts radar is the Pro1 X

Mostly because it has OOB support for LineageOS and UBPorts.

However, I wouldn't mind a better camera.

Just bought a Sony Xperia 1 II -- apparantly the Gen III will be out in August but the II has some people who have gotten LineageOS to run on it. AFAIK the device is manufactured in Japan which is a nice plus nice too.
    Phoronix commenters stop fearmongering challenge(literally impossible)

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Xiaomi
    Xiaomi Corporation is a Chinese multinational electronics company founded in April 2010 and headquartered in Beijing. Xiaomi makes and invests in smartphones, mobile apps, laptops, home appliances, bags, shoes, consumer electronics, and many other products.Wikipedia
    That's a hard pass & heavy naw dawg.

F(x)tec is a registered company in the United Kingdom trading as FX Technology Limited. Company number 11602958.
    The most interesting thing on UBPorts radar is the Pro1 X

Mostly because it has OOB support for LineageOS and UBPorts.

However, I wouldn't mind a better camera.

Just bought a Sony Xperia 1 II -- apparantly the Gen III will be out in August but the II has some people who have gotten LineageOS to run on it. AFAIK the device is manufactured in Japan which is a nice plus nice too.

Edit:

Phoronix commenters stop fearmongering challenge(literally impossible)
    I suggest you try the Open Your Fucking Eyes Challenge with regard to global conflict & privacy with a side of Don't be a Dumbass Whiner -- of course I'm sure I'm already expecting too much of such a primitive & limited being.
    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 14 May 2021, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X