Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice Adds A Command Popup / HUD, Inspired By Half-Decade Old Microsoft Office Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kneekoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Then you're either very young or don't visit anything else but Phoronix, 'cause Pages is one of the best-known apps (though not the most-used app) around, for a long time actually.
    LOL! Why would you assume everyone should know about it? Most people on this planet have never touched an Apple device. It doesn't even matter why, it is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    I didnt know that MS office had a HUD, even though I use it every weekday.

I had thought it was an OSS thing as I always saw it discussed fo linux programs.

I am guessing i dont need it, I only use a few basic shortcuts (BIU, undo, copy and paste)

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    Originally posted by mibo View Post
    I would like to read .pages documents from my colleagues.
    But, the LO developers seem to be busy with other stuff...
    I think I understand the problem: Pages doesn't support Open Document Format. That's strange as ODF is an ISO standard (ISO26300:2007). It is specifically intended to ease exchange of documents between applications and to make sure you can still read or edit documents 10 years from now. More and more governments and companies are mandating the use of standardized and open document formats for this reason.

So, actually you should be asking the makers of Pages to add support for a standardized format. Or convince your colleagues to switch to an application that does support a standardized format.

If it's just for reading you might be helped if your colleagues convert to another standardized format ISO/IEC 32000-1:2008 (better known as pdf). As a last resort there's even another universal format known as print. It does require a special machine (known as a printer) and a physical medium (paper). BTW Libreoffice Draw does a hell of a job importing pdf allowing you to edit anyway.

So, I don't see how it's the LibO devs fault. Did you pay them to add Pages support?

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied

Then you're either very young or don't visit anything else but Phoronix, 'cause Pages is one of the best-known apps (though not the most-used app) around, for a long time actually.
    I'm not young and I visit other things than Phoronix. But it's an Apple thing and I don't pay attention to Apple things.

Leave a comment:

• In_Mint_Condition
    replied

....... 'cause Pages is one of the best-known apps (though not the most-used app) around, for a long time actually.
    ah now, you can't be serious, Pages is one of the best-knowns apps... yeah I'd say Microsoft Word is seriously threatened by it.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Artim View Post

I think you do not understand how Microsofts screwed up office format actually works. On paper or might be an open standard, but in reality it's a very closed source piece of voodoo nobody was yet able to implement besides Microsoft intended for the sole puropse of keeping paying customers at bay.
    I've had quite a few issues with ODT files as well, including text and esp. table corruption and some documents refusing to open after quite a while. And that was just using LibreOffice. So an open standard doesn't magically fix everything.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I think your kind of screwed, but I'm able to install the dev version of it without issue.
    I have no idea if that fixed the Pages problem (although they say it does). I've never heard of Pages before today.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 12 May 2021, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by chocolate View Post
    Canonical's HUD in Unity promised to address the same discoverability problem, universally. I remember it working pretty well in Gimp, not sure about LO; didn't play with it extensively enough. Too bad they were spreading themselves too thin and sort of abandoned their UX research in traditional GTK/GNOME-derived environments.
    Vivaldi browser also adopted the HUD and recently Google Chrome/Chromium did too. I don't use it much on Vivaldi, but it seems to work very well

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
    From the aricle's title--

LibreOffice Adds...Inspired By Half-Decade Old Microsoft Office Feature

Wouldn't it be grand if the headline read, instead

LibreOffice Adds An EXTREMELY Unique Capability--for LibreOffice--Inspired By Full-Decade Old Microsoft Office Feature: Microsoft Office Compatibility

Never happen, though; TDF is too invested in taking--and keeping, strictly for its own use, your money, and not giving a dime of it to LibreOffice developers, for anything like this to ever happen. EVER. As long as you sheep keep on hoping against hope for a miracle (and, like fools, keep sending your money to TDF)...
    I think you do not understand how Microsofts screwed up office format actually works. On paper or might be an open standard, but in reality it's a very closed source piece of voodoo nobody was yet able to implement besides Microsoft intended for the sole puropse of keeping paying customers at bay.

There are many office suits, free and commercial yet not a single one of them has yet managed to do a significantly better Implementation than what LO has.
    So if you think it's that easy, go ahead and implement it yourself. LibreOffice is open source, if you manage to fix it they'll most likely implementiert your solution.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    From the aricle's title--

LibreOffice Adds...Inspired By Half-Decade Old Microsoft Office Feature

Wouldn't it be grand if the headline read, instead

LibreOffice Adds An EXTREMELY Unique Capability--for LibreOffice--Inspired By Full-Decade Old Microsoft Office Feature: Microsoft Office Compatibility

Never happen, though; TDF is too invested in taking--and keeping, strictly for its own use, your money, and not giving a dime of it to LibreOffice developers, for anything like this to ever happen. EVER. As long as you sheep keep on hoping against hope for a miracle (and, like fools, keep sending your money to TDF)...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X