Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice Adds A Command Popup / HUD, Inspired By Half-Decade Old Microsoft Office Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In_Mint_Condition View Post
    ah now, you can't be serious, Pages is one of the best-knowns apps... yeah I'd say Microsoft Word is seriously threatened by it.

I said one of the best-known apps, not one of the most popular apps. There's a difference. So indeed, MS Word has nothing to be threatened by.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I've had quite a few issues with ODT files as well, including text and esp. table corruption and some documents refusing to open after quite a while. And that was just using LibreOffice. So an open standard doesn't magically fix everything.

He who controls the letters controls the universe

The letters must flow

Comment

I've had quite a few issues with ODT files as well, including text and esp. table corruption and some documents refusing to open after quite a while. And that was just using LibreOffice. So an open standard doesn't magically fix everything.
        Vistaus this is really odd. It will pay to check closely into that. Yes Libreoffice ODF is not magic bullet protection against defective ram/storage/network. There is no documented bug about table corruption with libreoffice working on ODT. There have been a few people reporting document failures with libreoffice after proper checking was even defective storage or defective ram or damaged in network transport. So Vistaus this is either a unreported bug or you have a hardware problem either need attention.

MS Office is documented at times for no hardware reason to straight up generate a document MS Office cannot reopen at all this includes the current versions. Libreoffice has quite stubborn open document processes that it will open at times bad documents MS Office generates.

Pages the libetonyek library libreoffice uses for opening those documents has no active funding by anyone. There was active funding by redhat until 2018. So am I surprised of pages compadiblity issues are coming up the answer is no. Is there any other third party or open source library to read pages documents the answer again is no. MS Office will not attempt to import pages documents at all.

Something to be aware of is most of the legacy document support in Libreoffice if you trace it back is funded by different countries national archives. Turns out pages and other iwork applications these day are not used in government and that been the case for over 5 years now and they don't have any document in achieves that give them problems. Welcome to o bugger because countries national archives have no reason to fund this work and no one else is putting up the money. Yes libreoffice opens more legacy documents than MS Office for this reason.

Remember you have to pay to have pages on Mac OS or IOS its not something you get for free so only percentage of Mac OS and IOS users even use it and none of that percentage is a government employee anywhere for work these days. Yes for work in governments the dominate Office suites are MS Office followed by Libreoffice followed by WPS. There is about another 6 on that list iwork stuff like pages is not there at all.

Comment

Just to tell you my experience with LibreOffice, I use it at home but also at work, to keep all documentation, invoices etc. I have rarely had problems, perhaps because I rarely interface with Microsoft formats, with my customers and suppliers, I specifically asked to send only in ODT format and it worked.

Comment

Of course, bugs do happen. But there's a difference between a perfectly good standard, which you can get the whole standard document for free and have actually two open source reference implementations, and having a wannabe standard, that was standardized by means of corruption, which documents are over 5,000 pages (not counting that weird transitional mode) without any open source implementation and the only program being a reference implementation not being able to render its own documents correctly (just try to edit a word document in Office online).

And while Microsoft even funds the development of ODF financially, MS Office refuses to open any ODF (maybe except ods) and display it even close to the way it should. Not to mention the fact that MS office just loves to refuse to open any ooxml document just because LibreOffice was the last program editing it

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
              And while Microsoft even funds the development of ODF financially, MS Office refuses to open any ODF (maybe except ods) and display it even close to the way it should. Not to mention the fact that MS office just loves to refuse to open any ooxml document just because LibreOffice was the last program editing it
              Artim MS Office will refuse to open a ooxml document it saved as well without any third party application touching it. So you don't need it just to be libreoffice the last program editing it. Reality you role a dice every time you save a ooxml document. I have had the fun where the document was saved by MS Office and would open on one computer and not the other both running the same version of MS Office with the same updates. You also have the case that MS Office saves a document and on the same same computer same version of MS office with no updates refuses to open it. Yes this was not hardware defects.

Hard reality MS Office is not compatible with itself let alone anything else. Every time MS Office is compatible with anything including itself your luck has gone the right ways.

MS Office is really office place gambling.

Comment

LibreOffice is one of those apps like Thunderbird. 2,499 features, but accompanied by a GUI stuck in the 1990s.

I find Google Docs very solid these days (Casual Docs), Evernote or SimpleNote (Note taking), and OverLeaf (online Latex editor) for technical documents / research. Between them they cover all the basis and no ugly UIs.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
                  LibreOffice is one of those apps like Thunderbird. 2,499 features, but accompanied by a GUI stuck in the 1990s.

I find Google Docs very solid these days (Casual Docs), Evernote or SimpleNote (Note taking), and OverLeaf (online Latex editor) for technical documents / research. Between them they cover all the basis and no ugly UIs.
                  This read as if you have a internet disaster you are screwed. Google Docs you really cannot self host. Evernote or SimpleNote again you cannot self host. OverLeaf you can at least have that on your own server somewhere. Overleaf does run quite well on a raspberry pi 3/4 server. Notes I normally use Carnet syncing back to nextcloud instances that can be on a raspberry pi 4 with OverLeaf for small teams.

Do remember we do at times end up with someone or nature taken out some critical bit of internet hardware leaving areas with no internet connectivity.

LibreOffice GUI is not really stuck in 1990s.
                  A tutorial on how to change the LibreOffice default look and feel with screenshots, also includes on how to change toolbar icons.

If you have libreoffice 7.2 you in fact have 7 different user interfaces. The default out the box one is the one that appears to be from the 1990s but there are 6 others.

Problem is the Libreoffice userbase has not been able to agree on what user interface is best so we now have 7 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

This read as if you have a internet disaster you are screwed. Google Docs you really cannot self host. Evernote or SimpleNote again you cannot self host. OverLeaf you can at least have that on your own server somewhere. Overleaf does run quite well on a raspberry pi 3/4 server. Notes I normally use Carnet syncing back to nextcloud instances that can be on a raspberry pi 4 with OverLeaf for small teams.

Do remember we do at times end up with someone or nature taken out some critical bit of internet hardware leaving areas with no internet connectivity.

LibreOffice GUI is not really stuck in 1990s.
                    A tutorial on how to change the LibreOffice default look and feel with screenshots, also includes on how to change toolbar icons.

If you have libreoffice 7.2 you in fact have 7 different user interfaces. The default out the box one is the one that appears to be from the 1990s but there are 6 others.

Problem is the Libreoffice userbase has not been able to agree on what user interface is best so we now have 7 of them.
                    And all 7 of them equally terrible.

Chances are, if you don't really have an eye for good design, then you're not going to be that bothered with how LO looks. Many people don't. They just want functionality.

I happened to think that Mac OS X Office is actually the most beautiful of all the office suites, but I'm rarely on a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
                      And all 7 of them equally terrible.

Chances are, if you don't really have an eye for good design, then you're not going to be that bothered with how LO looks. Many people don't. They just want functionality.

I happened to think that Mac OS X Office is actually the most beautiful of all the office suites, but I'm rarely on a Mac.
                      Please note I did not say they were good. The 7 different designs of libreoffice interface cover from the 1980s right though to 2010 theories for what would make a good software interface.

Please note

Mac OS X Office<< I guess you mean iwork. Mac OS X Office written that way is MS Office.

There is a design team that anyone who thinks they can do better are willing to attempt.

Do beware libreoffice supports 119 languages. MS Office on mac os only supports 27 yet on windows supports 91. Yes there are limitations in the base Mac OS GUI elements that reduce the number of languages you can support and explain why on Mac OS LibreOffice interface absolutely looks out of place due to not using native toolkit and why less language options of MS Office work on Mac OS vs the Windows version.

Its a catch people would not think about that libreoffice has to be culturally neutral to the people who us 119 languages it supports as well.

Reality with libreoffice the requirements to design are hard.

Do note thunderbird has the same problem it supports 59 different languages and Macos only support at best 39. So you have 20 languages the application supports that the Mac OS platform does not support lot of them you cannot use MacOS default toolkit parts to-do.

tornado99 its not just about having a eye for good design here. When you have multi cultures and languages to support doing good design for everyone gets a hell load harder. So projects like libreoffice are always looking for new people join the design team with new ideas crossing fingers that one of them will be good.

There is a horrible fact that a interface that look generally horrible normally does not end up culturally offensive to anyone. Accusing a person not having a good eye for design by most people who do have the mistake that a interface has to look good from their culture point of view not considering need for culture neutrality.

Comment

Working...
                      X