Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AV1 Decoder dav1d Lands 10-bit AVX2 Assembly For Big Speed-Up, Thanks Facebook + Netflix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't av1 be decoded with cuda/opencl/whatever?

Comment

I hope this unlocks more 10-bit content. For those that may not know, 8-bit encoding does not save any space (on the contrary, you need more bitrate to avoid banding). It only makes sense for decoding performance.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Hm interesting, I've never heard this argument before, the only thing I heard was that jpegxl is better than or equal to AVIF at everything.
        Yeah, Animation gets the short end of the stick all the time despite gifs still being so prominent and webp not being an all that better solution. animations take up a crap ton of room. and there is value in separating animations from videos, even audio-less ones. the least amount of room you allow someone to mess something up the better. and just from a management perspective its nice to have a hard seperation.

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        I beg to differ. Software decoding causes my laptop's fans to spin up like crazy. Firefox recently optimized their hardware decoding to be about 50 % more efficient than in previous versions, so now the difference should be pretty major, although I haven't tried that. But even video players are horribly slow in software rendering mode.
        I can almost play 1080p 8bit 30fps on my dual core celeron n3050. soon hopefully with more optimization it might become possible

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
          I hope this unlocks more 10-bit content. For those that may not know, 8-bit encoding does not save any space (on the contrary, you need more bitrate to avoid banding). It only makes sense for decoding performance.
          It will for some stuff, but 10-bit encoding can still be pretty brutal on devices. I can just barely watch 4k 10-bit content on a custom build of mpv-android with compiler optimizations on my s9+ I think it will be a little while longer yet, but it is definitely a large step.

Comment

Very nice

Fate's irony - Netflix contribute something to open-source project but in the same time - it cannot be used for Netflix content in Linux.

I mean: Netflix 10-bit 4K content has insane DRM requirements - there is no free Linux distribution that could handle it. Only commercial forks like Android on dedicated hardware could handle it.

No HDR support in Linux distributions it is another story, but at least in this area there is some progress...

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post
              Very nice

Fate's irony - Netflix contribute something to open-source project but in the same time - it cannot be used for Netflix content in Linux.

I mean: Netflix 10-bit 4K content has insane DRM requirements - there is no free Linux distribution that could handle it. Only commercial forks like Android on dedicated hardware could handle it.

No HDR support in Linux distributions it is another story, but at least in this area there is some progress...
              I suspect the first ones to get AV1 treatment would be the shows that are consumed en masse. this will also be 10-bit 1080p content, as 10-bit is far superior to 8-bit in terms of efficiency, so even 8-bit 1080p content will be getting the av1 treatment.

AV1 in the end google and netflix need it to cut costs for bandwidth. so they will start with the largest and easiest ones. if they determine, that shows that Iinux does support, are big bandwidth eaters, they will go for them, if not, they won't for a while, but I assume most of their library will be getting the av1 treatment eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I suspect the first ones to get AV1 treatment would be the shows that are consumed en masse. this will also be 10-bit 1080p content, as 10-bit is far superior to 8-bit in terms of efficiency, so even 8-bit 1080p content will be getting the av1 treatment.

AV1 in the end google and netflix need it to cut costs for bandwidth. so they will start with the largest and easiest ones. if they determine, that shows that Iinux does support, are big bandwidth eaters, they will go for them, if not, they won't for a while, but I assume most of their library will be getting the av1 treatment eventually.
                I'm guessing that 80% (or even more) of Netflix transfer are TV (called SmartTV but in fact it should be called TemeteryTV or SpyingTV) and Android/Apple TelemetryPhones. New TVs OS are mostly Android or some other proprietary Linux fork - most of them support DRM and 4K.

Linux clients (legally 720p max, with addon "hack" - some content could be played with 1080p but not everything - many movies require DRM even for lowres like 1080p) or even Windows clients are minority for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

Nearly all videos that are AV1 on Youtube are 8bit and 8bit is already fast on nearly all CPUs. Would be nice if they would bring 10bit cause banding is a problem on Youtube.
                  In this playlist are videos that have a av1 10bit(+HDR) version but even if you set Youtube to "always prefer AV1" it does not serve it in firefox on a ryzen3600.
                  With youtube-dl - f 401+251 URL
                  will you get the av1 version to test it (399=1080p 400=1440p 401=4k)
                  my amd 5800x can do it: https://i.imgur.com/4sq43Ce.jpg but it really does push it. i did try setting hwdec to yes in mpv.conf but it doesn't offload it to my 6900xt. i know my 6900xt supports av1 (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...6900-xt/3.html). maybe mpv / ffmpeg on windows isn't built with support for it or something. or maybe amd doesn't have it enabled with its windows drivers yet.
                  Last edited by fafreeman; 12 May 2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    Also I haven't heard much about AV2 or AVIF, I still would like to see a replacement of JPG sooner rather than later.
                    AVIF is akin to using a steam-hammer to crack nuts. I'd much rather see JPEG XL adopted, it is supposed to actually have nice features (and also royalty-free, although I'm not sure which big alliance is supposed to guarantee/enforce that).

Comment

Wonder how hard it is to write RVV code for this sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X