Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Begins Landing GTK4 Support Code

Phoronix: LibreOffice Begins Landing GTK4 Support Code

Ahead of this week's LibreOffice 7.2 Alpha and the feature freeze / branching next month, initial GTK4 toolkit support code has begun landing in this open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great!

I hope this can make for a better LibreOffice experience that feels more modern and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Great!

I hope this can make for a better LibreOffice experience that feels more modern and fun.
      On the other hand instead of improving the internals and fixing bugs they will now be constantly adjusting their codebase to new GTK releases.

Comment

That's a big initial commit. Were there so many incompatible changes between gtk3 and gtk4? Or is it just an unfortunate coincidence where LibreOffice used those features that were changed between gtk3 and gtk4?

Comment

Which benefits over GTK3?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            On the other hand instead of improving the internals and fixing bugs they will now be constantly adjusting their codebase to new GTK releases.
            There is also another perspective. By overlooking the current code, it could mean that there is a time to improve. Find bugs and highlight the current code. New ways to base the code on is usually a good way to improve the existing code. In retrospect, it's annoying and usually useless but it's still a way to improve (got to take the good with the bad, but as long as one can improve, well it's good nonetheless).

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              Which benefits over GTK3?
              GTK4 uses OpenGL for hardware accelerated drawing by default, so it generally performs much better than GTK3.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike29
                On one hand, it's nice to see more GTK4 adoption by non-GNOME apps.
                On the other hand, I really wish a solution could be found to fix the blurry fonts on non-hiDPI screens (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/3787), which are still very common.
                This should be solved by https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-..._requests/3393 when merged.
                Last edited by Alexmitter; 11 May 2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I would like to see better integration with KDE Plasma !

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                    GTK4 uses OpenGL for hardware accelerated drawing by default, so it generally performs much better than GTK3.
                    Don't forget a new, more efficient renderer (NGL) and initial vulkan support! I personally can't wait for epiphany to switch to GTK4 to see if I can finally start using it without feeling super slowed down.

Comment

Working...
                    X