X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I would like to see better integration with KDE Plasma !
    There is the Qt5 flavor of Libre Office, to improve that is in the hands of those who want Libre Office running on a proprietary sold toolkit.

Leave a comment:

• gsedej
    replied
    I hope they fix context menu icons. Its so hard to enable them. Nautlius and other simple apps might not need context menu icons, but big office suite does!

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That either won't get merged or won't solve the issue, 'cause in the bug report Spike29 linked, Mathias Clasen makes it very clear that there's nothing to fix.
    I don't get what makes Mathias say that. When I look at screenshots, the new rendering is clearly worse, and now I join the peoples who would really like to slow down GTK4 adoption because the less apps use it, the better user experience would be, at least for now (and if the issue is "not a bug", then really forever).

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

This should be solved by https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-..._requests/3393 when merged.
    That either won't get merged or won't solve the issue, 'cause in the bug report Spike29 linked, Mathias Clasen makes it very clear that there's nothing to fix. And he says the exact same thing in the MR you linked.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 11 May 2021, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    That's a big initial commit. Were there so many incompatible changes between gtk3 and gtk4? Or is it just an unfortunate coincidence where LibreOffice used those features that were changed between gtk3 and gtk4?
    Except for the new scene renderer and hardware-accelerated apps support, the changes weren't major. In fact, you can even semi-automate porting from GTK3 to 4: https://github.com/baedert/autoport
    Last edited by Vistaus; 11 May 2021, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kvuj
    replied
    Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
    GTK4 uses OpenGL for hardware accelerated drawing by default, so it generally performs much better than GTK3.
    Don't forget a new, more efficient renderer (NGL) and initial vulkan support! I personally can't wait for epiphany to switch to GTK4 to see if I can finally start using it without feeling super slowed down.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    I would like to see better integration with KDE Plasma !

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by Spike29
    On one hand, it's nice to see more GTK4 adoption by non-GNOME apps.
    On the other hand, I really wish a solution could be found to fix the blurry fonts on non-hiDPI screens (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/3787), which are still very common.
    This should be solved by https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-..._requests/3393 when merged.
    Last edited by Alexmitter; 11 May 2021, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrCooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Which benefits over GTK3?
    GTK4 uses OpenGL for hardware accelerated drawing by default, so it generally performs much better than GTK3.

Leave a comment:

• Sethox
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    On the other hand instead of improving the internals and fixing bugs they will now be constantly adjusting their codebase to new GTK releases.
    There is also another perspective. By overlooking the current code, it could mean that there is a time to improve. Find bugs and highlight the current code. New ways to base the code on is usually a good way to improve the existing code. In retrospect, it's annoying and usually useless but it's still a way to improve (got to take the good with the bad, but as long as one can improve, well it's good nonetheless).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X