Libaom, SVT-AV1 Mark New Open-Source AV1 Encoder Releases This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libaom, SVT-AV1 Mark New Open-Source AV1 Encoder Releases This Week

Phoronix: Libaom, SVT-AV1 Mark New Open-Source AV1 Encoder Releases This Week

This week happened to see new releases of two prominent open-source AV1 video encoders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ffmpeg 4.4 PPA was just released hours ago via https://launchpad.net/~savoury1/+archive/ubuntu/ffmpeg4
    Along with FastFlix 4.2.0, the amazing GUI for AOM AV1 and vaapi-h265 encoding, HandBrake is now deprecated.

Comment

Is AV1 processed by AVX instruction set? What about GPUs?

Comment

It's funny how Handbrake devs are still refusing to include SVT-AV1 because "it's slow". But it is as fast as divx/xvid used to be on P3/P4 computers back in the days. Actually faster. No one complained back then.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          It's funny how Handbrake devs are still refusing to include SVT-AV1 because "it's slow". But it is as fast as divx/xvid used to be on P3/P4 computers back in the days. Actually faster. No one complained back then.
          I think the expectations for encoding times changed a fair bit since then

Network connections were also much slower back then, so people were more accepting of long encoding times as long as it made files smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

I think the expectations for encoding times changed a fair bit since then

Network connections were also much slower back then, so people were more accepting of long encoding times as long as it made files smaller.
            Depends on the person and system being used. If all you have is a 6c12t desktop then you probably don't want it being bogged down encoding a video. If you have a 2nd system of some sort or a really nice desktop with greater than 16 threads then the encoding likely won't get in your way.

My internet speeds haven't changed since the Core2Duo days so that isn't a factor for me. People in crappy parts of America and less wealthy parts of the world also have slower internet speeds so better compression is still a requirement for us.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_is_awesome View Post
              ffmpeg 4.4 PPA was just released hours ago via https://launchpad.net/~savoury1/+archive/ubuntu/ffmpeg4
              Along with FastFlix 4.2.0, the amazing GUI for AOM AV1 and vaapi-h265 encoding, HandBrake is now deprecated.
              First time I've heard about FastFlix, and it's already at v4.2.0; nice to see a new attempt at making something better than that Handbrake crap. Unfortunately, AFAICT the release bundles are not very Linux friendly, as they contain either a single binary blob that you need to make executable and run it a la AppImage, or a bunch of somewhat undocumented source files that are supposed to run self-contained.

Reading the README I can deduce that if it were to be made into a proper package its only non-Python dependency would probably be Ffmpeg, but I can't really be certain. Also, for curiosity's sake, I'm not even sure if that AppImage-like blob already contains the ffmpeg binary or not, not to mention that on my Arch system it won't even run (probably due to some dependency being the wrong version or something). Some more documentation would be most welcome.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Depends on the person and system being used. If all you have is a 6c12t desktop...
              Daaaaamn. Are we already at the point where a 6c12t CPU is considered slow tech? Time sure flies.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
                Daaaaamn. Are we already at the point where a 6c12t CPU is considered slow tech? Time sure flies.
                Well, I had a 6 core Phenom II at work over a decade ago, so it kind of makes sense. Especially with the 12 core Ryzens being 105W desktop chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

First time I've heard about FastFlix, and it's already at v4.2.0; nice to see a new attempt at making something better than that Handbrake crap. Unfortunately, AFAICT the release bundles are not very Linux friendly, as they contain either a single binary blob that you need to make executable and run it a la AppImage, or a bunch of somewhat undocumented source files that are supposed to run self-contained.

Reading the README I can deduce that if it were to be made into a proper package its only non-Python dependency would probably be Ffmpeg, but I can't really be certain. Also, for curiosity's sake, I'm not even sure if that AppImage-like blob already contains the ffmpeg binary or not, not to mention that on my Arch system it won't even run (probably due to some dependency being the wrong version or something). Some more documentation would be most welcome.

Thank AMD for releasing 16+core systems for so cheap.

To still have a somewhat responsive desktop you'll have to limit a 6c12t system to 4c8t for video encoding since a person will want 2c4t to keep the desktop and other programs happy and responsive. A lower core count desktop has to make certain compromises for tasks that can use more threads than are available; 6c12t is on the border straddling low to just good enough for high level video encoding while multitasking. While multitasking is the key phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    Is AV1 processed by AVX instruction set? What about GPUs?
                    On the GPU side every ones next gen cards will have AV1 encode but it will be limited to 4:2:0. It is aimed mostly at the video conferencing applications. I think Intel may already have some thing out with that supports it and I think M1 also has it.

Comment

Working...
                    X