No announcement yet.

Libaom, SVT-AV1 Mark New Open-Source AV1 Encoder Releases This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can either encoder reliably handle grain yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

On the GPU side every ones next gen cards will have AV1 encode but it will be limited to 4:2:0. It is aimed mostly at the video conferencing applications. I think Intel may already have some thing out with that supports it and I think M1 also has it.
      What about video decode?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

What about video decode?
        The current generation so 3000 for NVidia and 6000 for AMD have decode already. I expect that is just 4:2:0 as well but maybe Brigman can enlighten us as to what AMD is doing in RDNA2 as all I have ever seen in the marketing material is "AV1 Decode". I am hoping Van Gough is going to be my next HTPC as it is supposed to be a low power chip aimed at chrome pads but with AV1 decode up to 4K. If some one throws that into a mini PC form factor I'm in.

BTW I tried launching FastFlix on FC-34 and it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

The current generation so 3000 for NVidia and 6000 for AMD have decode already. I expect that is just 4:2:0 as well but maybe Brigman can enlighten us as to what AMD is doing in RDNA2 as all I have ever seen in the marketing material is "AV1 Decode". I am hoping Van Gough is going to be my next HTPC as it is supposed to be a low power chip aimed at chrome pads but with AV1 decode up to 4K. If some one throws that into a mini PC form factor I'm in.

BTW I tried launching FastFlix on FC-34 and it doesn't work.
          I consider AV1 video codification a sort of revolution because it allows modern hardware to replace h265 codec in a better and more convenient shape.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            It's funny how Handbrake devs are still refusing to include SVT-AV1 because "it's slow". But it is as fast as divx/xvid used to be on P3/P4 computers back in the days. Actually faster. No one complained back then.
            Only a few years ago VP9 and HEVC were equally slow and they were included. There might be a point though in the sense that VP9 and HEVC are more than good enough for 99.9999% of home users' current use cases (the target audience of HandBrake) so they don't really need to support AV1 just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_is_awesome View Post
              ffmpeg 4.4 PPA was just released hours ago via https://launchpad.net/~savoury1/+archive/ubuntu/ffmpeg4
              Along with FastFlix 4.2.0, the amazing GUI for AOM AV1 and vaapi-h265 encoding, HandBrake is now deprecated.
              I wouldn't say HandBrake is deprecated., it's still a better GUI than FastFlix and FF does not support vaapi-h265 encoding, it supports Nvenc, not the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_is_awesome View Post
                ffmpeg 4.4 PPA was just released hours ago via https://launchpad.net/~savoury1/+archive/ubuntu/ffmpeg4
                Along with FastFlix 4.2.0, the amazing GUI for AOM AV1 and vaapi-h265 encoding, HandBrake is now deprecated.
                Fastflix is actually pretty good. Wishlist: a few more filter options, tiles>0 with pass 1 for libaom-av1 (more cores = much faster pass 1 and it doesn't impact quality), and MAIN10/Professional profile. And I guess pre-populating the colourspace inputs from the ffprobe data would be nice too. And it would be nice if you could specify a wildcard for the input so it would glob files to the queue. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X