X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extremesquared
    replied
    Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

No. any bug related to activities should be in last priority.
    Are activities really a polarizing feature? I ignored them for years until I started using them while doing work. They shine when used as slightly-evolved virtual desktops to segregate tasks / workflows more explicitly.

Leave a comment:

• arun54321
    replied
    Originally posted by extremesquared View Post
    They could really use a small team to take a step back, define a universal Alt/Meta + Tab expected behavior, and then go at all the window/activity/desktop switching bugs and inconsistencies in a focused manner. And looking at how long some alt-tab bugs have been around, maybe prioritize higher. Keyboard-based multitasking is one of the most core expected functionalities of a DE and these are a legitimate annoyance for what is really the only modern linux workstation-oriented DE.
    No. any bug related to activities should be in last priority.

Leave a comment:

• ngraham
    replied
    Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
    Switching back and forth between two logged-in users is a very clunky affair involving many clicks and screen flickering as it can never seem to remember the screen resolution even though you are connected to the same monitor the entire time. Compare this to OS-X where it's literally one-click, enter password, and a nicely animated switch to the second account.

It's actually pretty similat to on OS X. Compare:

macOS:
    1. Click your own name in the menubar
    2. Click the name of the user you want to switch to
    [you are taken to a big login prompt thingy]
    3. Enter password for that user
    4. Hit enter key or click button

Plasma
    1. Hit Meta Key or click Kickoff icon to open it
    2. Click "Switch User"
    [you are taken to SDDM, the login manager]
    3. Click on user you want to switch to
    4. Enter password for that user
    5. Hit enter key or click button

So there is one extra step, and the flow is a bit different. I agree that this could be streamlined a bit, but we're talking about a matter of seconds. I'm not sure this qualifies as a huge deal.

Still, probably not that hard to change so that you select which user you want to switch to a bit earlier.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    ngraham Sorry that I cannot provide any stack traces and therefore report another issue over here which seems to be a KWin issue as I haven't seen it with KwinFT. The symptoms are sporadic frame drops in Chrome while watching 1080p/60Hz content and a meagre 60 - 65 Hz while using https://www.testufo.com/animation-ti...0&fullscreen=1 as a test instead of 144 Hz which my monitor is capable of. I see lots of spikes there, too. I observed it after booting up the machine and interestingly it is gone after benchmarking game and getting back to the desktop - I then get stable 144 Hz in Chrome without these constant spikes or constant frame drops (only sporadic ones while switching tabs which seem to be normal on this machine). [I am currently on Kubuntu 21.4 with Plasma 5.21.4, Vega 56 GPU, Mesa-git and X11, but I have seen this on Manjaro, too.].

Leave a comment:

• swotdjien
    replied
    KDE Plasma has an inconsistency, inside Dolphin is possible to select and copy Dolphin's version number, inside Plasma Information Center the version numbers aren't selectable to copy.

Dolphin doesn't have a quick filtering like Double Commander has (when configured) (or Firefox, more-or-less), everytime the filtering functionality is resorted to, an previous activation step (hit /) is required to the user before the filtering feature become usable and such requirement is very anti-productive, other thing is, why it doesn't allow the same antimeasure to avoid an accidental Dolphin window closing to be applied to the just-one-tab-open situation..., and the user hasn't a feature to set the Dolphin folders' tabbar to always be shown when just one directory is open, is visually disturbing to have a secondary row jumping in from nowhere, and the default dark theme suffers the same problem Firefox dark theme does, it has low contrast / low differentiating elemental characteristics to help distinguish what is what, to say apart one inactive tab from other inactive ones and among those the focused one, and a clear visual indicator showing prominently / well discernibly the focused tab is necessary. A big software chunk in the wild treats the dark theming somewhat like a cinema mode, and when one is in need of navigate through the inactive elements they are all already faded into limbo, very anti-usable.

The sound theming configuration handling in KDE is subpar when compared to the capabilities provided for other asset types.

KDE Plasma doesn't have a default cursor theme containing the equivalent of wait pointer/cursor actually pointy (an example of busy cursor with a pointy point used as wait cursor (if I'm not mistaken) is Chromium busy cursor) then is highly prone to happen imprecisiness to where the click is being registered when the unpointy spinning "pointer" is active.

If the GL acceleration is turned off (hardware and software) the font rendering get messy, disaligned and with smaller size, the Noto CJK font family is the only font immune to the problem, however when the delete key is used inside the Double Commander to del a filename char during renaming, the caret jumps to the righ-hand side of the next char, it is a KDE related problem.

Leave a comment:

• tornado99
    replied
    Great that they continuously add all these small features but there are still a few basic things that never seem to improve:
    • Their main pdf reader Okular doesn't use subpixel antialiasing so text quality is worse than the rest of the desktop. I don't use it for reading documents because of this.
    • Switching back and forth between two logged-in users is a very clunky affair involving many clicks and screen flickering as it can never seem to remember the screen resolution even though you are connected to the same monitor the entire time. Compare this to OS-X where it's literally one-click, enter password, and a nicely animated switch to the second account.
    Shame that things like this are overlooked.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Does any one have any experience with kremotecontrol? I need to map two extra buttons on my remote and it sounds like it should be able to help me with that. But I ran rpm -ql on it and each of the packages it pulls in with it and it seems to be a pile of files with no actual functionality. The existing 3 paragraphs of documentation don't address how it is supposed to work at all. Can any one point me at some useful documentation or tell me how to use it? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Originally posted by koko View Post
    Wondering when that Akonadi will die finally. I can't make it to work for years in my Debian SID KDE 5.20.5. Keeps crashing "Closed Unexpedly" message. This system seems so disconnected to the whole KDE like afterthough. It srews also Kmail (once number one mail client).
    I used to hate akonadi with the power of a 1000 burning suns. Once it went south you were just F'd with nothing you could do about it and it would take out the entire desktop. Horrible implementation. But to be honest it is working pretty good these days. I am on 5.21.4 so maybe there were some major cleanups between where you are and where I am.

Leave a comment:

• koko
    replied
    Wondering when that Akonadi will die finally. I can't make it to work for years in my Debian SID KDE 5.20.5. Keeps crashing "Closed Unexpedly" message. This system seems so disconnected to the whole KDE like afterthough. It srews also Kmail (once number one mail client).

Leave a comment:

• extremesquared
    replied
    I am sure task switching, activity switching, and desktop switching were all implemented by different developers, which is fine. But this is clearly a situation where a project lead needs to say "hold on, let's write an over-arching design spec for consistent switching behavior that developers can reference".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X