LibreOffice Merges Initial Support For Compiling To WebAssembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
    I'm not familiar with WASM enough, though it's been in the news a lot recently. Can someone tell me, is it really only limited to browsers or would it be possible to, say, write a WASM interpreter outside the browser that would work on (for example) Haiku? That way, it would be like a 'universal binary' thing. That might be valuable.
    It can be a universal binary, but it's very low level and the tooling around it sucks.
    I think there's promise to wasm, but it's far too early to jump onto the bandwagon just because.

Comment

"...LibreOffice 7.2 is also bringing a number of improvements to its Writer word processor..."--Michael Larabel

Anything (certainly NOT everything) to keep you off-balance and distracted from demanding the ONE item which The Document Foundation has been expert at from the very beginning, and NOT doing for twelve years now: providing absolute compatibility with Microsoft Word / Office.

But every "new" release contains so many new features and improvements, boys and girls...

These people are beyond pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle H.

...Anyone who uses Microsoft products is completely irrelevant to me...

At the risk pf bursting your bubble, along with the millions of other self-centered, clueless sheep--IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. IT NEVER HAS BEEN.

See what a breath of fresh air enlightenment provides?

Signed,

A dedicated Linux user.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          "...LibreOffice 7.2 is also bringing a number of improvements to its Writer word processor..."--Michael Larabel

Anything (certainly NOT everything) to keep you off-balance and distracted from demanding the ONE item which The Document Foundation has been expert at from the very beginning, and NOT doing for twelve years now: providing absolute compatibility with Microsoft Word / Office.

But every "new" release contains so many new features and improvements, boys and girls...
          Sorry history of libreoffice releases have particular releases that are bug fix only no new features in one of the individual parts including this one where math and base are getting no new features in 7.2. Yes it while while since we have seen a no new features release for the writer part but it has happened.

MS Office does not have absolute compatibility with itself. One of the features that is missed about libreoffice is the fact along as either fonts were embedded or the systems at both end have the same fonts the documents you see other than bugs differences that are avoided if you are on the same version look the same with ODF. MS Office you document can change appearance just because you are using a different OS or different printer even if you are on exactly the same ms office version this does bring hell to making absolute compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
            I'm not familiar with WASM enough, though it's been in the news a lot recently. Can someone tell me, is it really only limited to browsers or would it be possible to, say, write a WASM interpreter outside the browser that would work on (for example) Haiku? That way, it would be like a 'universal binary' thing. That might be valuable.
            WASM, or webassembly is very preformant tech designed for the internet, to produce as native speeds as possible. (A great example is copy.sh/v86) (Anotherone is ffmpegwasm) Its possible that a "Universal Binary" could be made, but TBH it would be better to download a self contained "website" that would run the wasm (Wasm is all run locally afterall). in that way, any browser would support it. and so long as your OS has a wasm capable browsers you would be set.

Its not necessarily a great thing to rely on, but for the vast majority of devs, is a no brainer, especially considering that even IOS supports webassembly.

I heard that someone tried getting wasmer (The closest thing to a universal packaging solution) to work on haiku, but have no idea if anything came of it.

Comment

Take your meds, schizo.
              What an absolutely elegant, intelligent, eloquent, well-thought-out response. What a rapier wit!

This is exactly the type response expected of a room-temperature-IQ, block-head millennial who has less than zero to offer on a technical forum. Sounds like the rantings of a 15-year-old, trying to be a sophisticate. Oh...wait...

What's your point? Of even being here?
              Who writes your material?

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

When one crashes they all crash. Even without crashing...when importing a large spreadsheet to Base (~15min) none of the other LibO windows responds.
                Because they're executed from the same file? That doesn't make any kind of sense, does it?

Comment

This is also true of most Unix GUI libraries. Hence why I almost exclusively use TUI/command-line programs. Even when a GUI is absolutely necessary, I still avoid GTK crap like the plague.
                  Hey, man. Curses or CLI. TUI is Tactile User-Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Because they're executed from the same file? That doesn't make any kind of sense, does it?
                    Of course it does, it's a single application (running as a single process) with multiple windows. And it's not very multi-threaded.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Hey, man. Curses or CLI. TUI is Tactile User-Interface.
                      I was about to say that Text User-Interface got in there a couple of decades first...

However, I suppose you could run your fingers over the punch cards like some sort of poor man's braille. So perhaps Tactile is the true winner here.

Comment

Working...
                      X