Apache OpenOffice Vulnerable To One-Click Code Execution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
    As this issue is in no way linked to systemd, even non systemd fanboys should be checking: you can totally have the malware even without systemd, it's just called systemd-something because it makes it less conspicuous.
    You might. I don't.

Comment

I remember people (in many internet forums, like here) expressing concern precisely about something like this.

At this point you are actively harmful, Apache.

Fuck you.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        I remember people (in many internet forums, like here) expressing concern precisely about something like this.

At this point you are actively harmful, Apache.

Fuck you.
        Apache accepted it rather unwillingly due to intense lobbying from RedHat. I never blamed Apache, this is a project that RedHat should have allowed to fold into the LO foundation in 2011. Apache held a number of meetings and votes about it and were somewhat negative about it but ultimately relented to RedHat's pressure.

Comment

How: Applications of the OpenOffice suite handle non-http(s) hyperlinks in an insecure way, allowing for 1-click code execution on Windows and Xubuntu systems via malicious executable files hosted on Internet-accessible file shares.

Why: The mitigation in Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 assures that a security warning is displayed to give users the option of continuing to open the hyperlink. Best practice dictates to be careful when opening documents from unknown and unverified sources.
          I don't get this at all. How can non-http links run codes from internet-accessible file shares(?)
          And how is an OK window a solution?
          I click on an ftp link, and the default is downloading it, and executing it, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

WPS and OnlyOffice both have very good MS compatability. Have you tried Softmaker Office? I find that its MS compatibility is even better in some ways.
            I do find it a bit bizarre that someone could dislike OpenOffice because its free license isn't the exact free license they would like and instead migrate to a completely proprietary solution.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
              Uninstall that trash and install LibreOffice.
              Or install SoftMaker Office and enjoy an even better experience, especially when interacting with the MSFT file formats.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I do find it a bit bizarre that someone could dislike OpenOffice because its free license isn't the exact free license they would like and instead migrate to a completely proprietary solution.
                I don't actually dislike OOo as a software suite. I do download it and try it about once a year and always find it lacking compared to LO. If it worked better I would use it gladly. I did an entire college degree using OOo, have fond memories.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  It would be interesting to hear from LibreOffice Foundation about their download numbers. I bet they were much smaller than Apache's, hence avoiding talking about it too much.
                  I looked at these data. And below what I found.

Phoronix: Apache Software Foundation Celebrates Two Decades Of OpenOffice While the LibreOffice fork is much more popular than OpenOffice these days, the Apache Software Foundation does continue maintaining the OpenOffice codebase born out of Sun Microsystems' StarOffice... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&p

Basically, despite the appearance, LO and AOO have the same order of downloads, and these are in the range 1.6-3M download/month.
                  The point is that even if the AOO development is stagnant, both the project have an huge and comparable number of the users.

Comment

Originally posted by kreijack View Post

Phoronix: Apache Software Foundation Celebrates Two Decades Of OpenOffice While the LibreOffice fork is much more popular than OpenOffice these days, the Apache Software Foundation does continue maintaining the OpenOffice codebase born out of Sun Microsystems' StarOffice... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&p

Basically, despite the appearance, LO and AOO have the same order of downloads, and these are in the range 1.6-3M download/month.
                    The point is that even if the AOO development is stagnant, both the project have an huge and comparable number of the users.
                    I knew some of the LO numbers, but they only show numbers sporadically, not in a continual base.

After I posted earlier, I did a search for numbers and stumbled upon a blog from a dude determined to "expose" the TDF numbers, back when they split from OOo. One of the posts he did was calling out TDF on the developers migration in 2011/12. Too bad that tread is now closed. It would be fun to ask him now on how that developer migration wasn't happening...

Comment

Originally posted by kreijack View Post

Those are going to be mostly windows users that are direct downloading probably. Among people who install via their Linux distro repository, there's no comparison whatsoever. Repology.org doesn't show any currect distros that have the OOo packages in their repos. Looks like Slackbuilds and the AUR both carry out-of-date versions. FreeBSD has it. That's about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X